Question on the social media package

teddyton

depending on how you look at it, all people in the cabin can use it, but only one at a time. When you log on to another device it will ask you, you are logged onto another device, you you like to log out, and so it goes. I got the best plan, wife got the 2nd plan, it was $119 for the top tier and $79 for hers. So, $200 a week and still pretty slow.

The price for the social media package is per account, not per cabin. Depending on how "connected" you need or want to be, multiple people can use one account - just not at the same time. If someone logs into the account when someone on another device is already logged in, it kicks the person already logged in off.

At $5/day, Hubby and I mainly use the social media package as an inexpensive way to communicate with family back home through either FB messenger or imessage. It isn't necessary for us both to be connected constantly, so we always share an account and just tell family to be sure to message us both in an emergency since we have no idea which of us would be connected at any given time. So far, it's worked great without problems. We even shared the account on one cruise with our teenage son and had no problems.

It is per person (by using the folio number on your S&S card), but everyone in the cabin can share. I get but the plan at the beginning of the cruise and stayed connected the majority of the time. There were a few times when mom wanted to check her Facebook, so I logged my phone out and she logged on with her phone.

Edited by h_blond2

Can you buy this near the end of the cruise? Would want to confirm travel arrangements, etc, but don't think I'd use it at the start of the cruise.

yes you can buy it for 1 day at a time. You get a discount if you buy for the whole cruise at the beginning of the cruise but you don't have to.

Quick question. So I take a 3 day cruise next month, so would a plan (for the duration of the cruise) be cheaper than my previous cruise, which was 5 days?

Right, you'll never pay more than daily price times the number of days. Fewer days, lower price. You'll get some discount if you buy it at the beginning of the cruise for the whole cruise. How much discount depends on plan and length of cruise.

Last cruise we bought the mid level package at 16$ a day for a 3-day cruise. We only paid 35ish I think. I know it was under 40 and way less than 48.

The price for the social media package is per account, not per cabin. Depending on how "connected" you need or want to be, multiple people can use one account - just not at the same time. If someone logs into the account when someone on another device is already logged in, it kicks the person already logged in off.

At $5/day, Hubby and I mainly use the social media package as an inexpensive way to communicate with family back home through either FB messenger or imessage. It isn't necessary for us both to be connected constantly, so we always share an account and just tell family to be sure to message us both in an emergency since we have no idea which of us would be connected at any given time. So far, it's worked great without problems. We even shared the account on one cruise with our teenage son and had no problems.

Hey, so iMessage worked on the $5 plan? Oh, interesting

yes you can buy it for 1 day at a time. You get a discount if you buy for the whole cruise at the beginning of the cruise but you don't have to.

Okay question time - Last cruise when it was WiFi Your way, we did the whole week discount.

Now with the HubApp I don't see that option anymore, is this a secret that we find out on the ship?

Thanks, P

Can you buy this near the end of the cruise? Would want to confirm travel arrangements, etc, but don't think I'd use it at the start of the cruise.

You can purchase by the day. The social media package does not provide internet access, meaning you cannot access email, check-in for airlines online, etc. so you may need to purchase an internet package rather than the social media package depending on what you need to do to confirm your travel arrangements.

If you just need to send someone a message, and you both are on the same social media sites or have iphones, then you should be fine. The social media package only connects to certain social media sites (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.). We have iphones, and we've found we can also text with others who have iphones through imessage using the social media package. We cannot text our daughter who has an android.

Hey, so iMessage worked on the $5 plan? Oh, interesting

Yes, our three sons all have iphones, and we had no problem texting them with the social media package on our cruise last July. Our daughter has an android, and we could not text her. We had to communicate with her using facebook messenger.

Does the $5 package let you upload pictures to FB?

Yes. We've only accessed these sites using the social media package: Facebook, Facebook messenger and Instagram, but all worked as they do normally - except for being much slower to post/upload, which is a common issue on a cruise ship.

Yes. We've only accessed these sites using the social media package: Facebook, Facebook messenger and Instagram, but all worked as they do normally - except for being much slower to post/upload, which is a common issue on a cruise ship.

I thought the $5 package was just for messaging. Correct me if I am wrong.

Me, my dh, dd, and ds all got the $5 social media package for keeping in contact on the Dream last month. The thing we had said that imessage did not work with that package so I'm kinda confused why everyone else is saying that you can use that? We used WhatsApp and it worked great. I also had no problem uploading pictures to FB during the entire cruise. We never found the internet to be slow at all.

Okay question time - Last cruise when it was WiFi Your way, we did the whole week discount.

Now with the HubApp I don't see that option anymore, is this a secret that we find out on the ship?

Thanks, P

Hub app and Internet packages are two separate things. HUB app is free to use while onboard and is only good onboard. You connect to ship wifi and see your sign and sail account balance, ship maps, fun times, set reminders for activities you don't want to miss, see your Pixels pictures if on Vista, see show times and movies and bar and restaurant hours. PLUS for a flat fee of 5 bucks per cruise, you can activate chat and send messages to other users onboard who also have chat activated.

Internet/wifi packages are for connecting to the outside world off-ship. You don't have to buy any Internet to use hub. There are 3 levels of service for internet packages and you can pay for them by the day or get a discount for buying them for the whole cruise.

For BOTH hub and Internet you put your phone in airplane mode and then go back into your device and turn on wifi. That way you don't accidentally connect to cellular data and run up big bills with Carnival and/or your carrier.

sent from my galaxy tab a

I'm in Canada. Normally when travelling I get a package through my phone carrier for that country. Do I still need to get a Caribbean package?

That one I don't know. My T-mobile service gives me free unlimited data in the Caribbean and Mexico (and canada) so I don't have to buy anything extra from them. But that is only while in port. At sea you don't need any plan from your carrier because you're using ship wifi (or cellular at sea but nobody does that because it's ridiculous) and your carrier doesn't have cell towers in the ocean.

You'll have to call your carrier and see what they offer in the carribbean ports.

sent from my galaxy tab a