Equinox Cozumel, Costa Maya

bogofman

Thinking of an Equinox 7 day cruise before Christmas 2017

Never been to cozumel or costa Maya

We would like to go to the ruins from both ports

Can someone who has used the ships excursions comment on them and indicate typical prices?

We prefere not to spend the time sitting on a beach, much prefere to be out and about

Thinking of an Equinox 7 day cruise before Christmas 2017

Never been to cozumel or costa Maya

We would like to go to the ruins from both ports

Can someone who has used the ships excursions comment on them and indicate typical prices?

We prefere not to spend the time sitting on a beach, much prefere to be out and about

If you already haven't check out the Ports Of Call here on CC for answers and additional info. Someone may have posted their Celebrity experiences there also. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Edited by davekathy

We are booked on Equinox with these two ports for a June cruise. Looked at some of the reviews and the long bus ride to and from the ruins are a deal breaker for us. Wish I could remember which port but 1-1/2 hour each way to the ruins and 2 hours at the ruins is 3 hours riding the bus, which was disappointing. As I understand it, it's not a tour to the ruins...just a very long ride.

We did a Tulum excursion from Cozomel. It's a 45 minute ferry to the mainland then about an hour on a bus to Tulum. Tulum is great, lots of very nice ruins. I don't recall how long we were there, but I'de say 2 or 3 hours. It seemed like plenty of time though.

Hi There,

We have been to Cozumel twice and Costa Maya ports once in our travels. My gf is a Anthropologist specializing in the Maya so she likes to visit the ruins every chance she gets.

Costa Maya is a small port and not much action. They do have incredible sites for ruins and the jungle is beautiful. We opted not to do Chichen Itza and from other travellers I have spoken to they have agreed. Its 7.5 drive and 30 minutes to see this site. I would rather spend much of a day there, this one is still on our list.

Instead, We opted for Chacchoben Ruins + Dzibanche Ruins excursion they are truly spectacular as part of an excursion. The temple of the masks is wonderful. they allow you to climb the structures which are several stories high and its fantastic. There are noticibly less people there and if you do any ruins these are a must in costa maya.

In Cozumel, a year later, Dec 2016, its more of a tourist port, We did check out Tulum since it is the only site on a cliff. There were lots of structures, and a huge crowd of people. I was a bit disappointed as this seemed way more busy then costa maya. The views are spectacular but for me there were too many people there to enjoy it fully. Although I would still recommend you check it out it is spectacular.

Definately recommend Costa Maya sites we visited. amazing.

Actually vendors wern't too bad. When you go with Celebrity they have great tour operators.

When we went to Chacchoben Ruins + Dzibanche there were vendors in front of park, they would ask nicely if you wanted anything. Nothing pushy, the guide would push them off. The tour guides did try to sell some items to you, but you could politely say no. Nothing too intrusive.These are national parks, I would assume most vendors have to be tourist friendly to set up shop there.

When we went to Tulum in Cozumel, there were vendors dressed up in costumes wanting to take photos, that was it. Unfortunately, the trip involves a 40 minute ferrie ride where there were multiple vendors on boat. Celebrity can't control this it was a public boat. But it wasn't horrible and vendors were polite.