Rough seas around the Caribbean? Seasickness?

Hi, I'm after some advice. We are interested in booking a cruise on Thomson Discovery around the Caribbean for April 2018. Does anyone think the seas will be calm around that time of year in the Caribbean? I appreciate you can't predict what the weather will be like, but can we expect calmer seas rather than rough? Just concerned about feeling poorly, as the Discovery is a slighter smaller ship than we normally sail on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Caribbean is usually smooth but there are no guarantees. We had a 2 week holiday and one evening the captain warned of high seas. By dinner time I was feeling quite unwell and took a Stugeron tablet. I slept from 8pm to 8am next morning when I felt fine. Next day found that the dining room had been half empty and many of the staff missing. So yes, you can get rough seas. I would recommend taking some Stugeron, available at chemists for approx £3. If you have to visit the ship's doctor it will cost a lot more. I must add, we have done a few cruises and this is the only night I have had any problems.

Can be smooth can be rough. Sorry but it's the sea.

Jan to April is usually ok. We have cruised in Carribbean for last 6 years Jan or Feb and never had a problem.

Would not hesitate to say it will be ok. The Discovery Ship is fine, we have cruised on small Fred Olsen ships with no problems in Carribean.

Get some wrist bands, ginger sweets and sturgeon if your worried.

Would not worry in the slightest.

Just returned from the Caribbean and had Force 8 winds one night - and the next day (sea day) wasn't much better. The Capt detoured South of Puerto Rico instead of skirting round the North to get into the lee of the winds but it was still a bumpy ride! The Stugeron worked well but I didn't sleep much! All the beaches were red flagged in Tortola - no trips to Virgin Gorda etc because of the rough seas. Having said all that we'd not experienced anything like that in the way of rough seas in quite a few previous visits. I just don't think you can predict what the seas will be like. Although we saw more rain than usual it was lovely and warm though - and the Caribbean is definitely worth it!

The weather in April is much better than our winter months and less rain and hotter The seas can be a little rough but we have crossed the Atlantic twice in April and it was dead calm both times with the exception of a stop in the Azores when the seas were rough and it rained. The ships have stabilisers so usually any movement is side to side which will not make you seasick but if the seas are very rough and the boat starts pitching I.e. Bow to stern then many people do feel sick - green Apple or some ginger is also good for this and lying down

But in all my cruises this has only happened once in the Gulf of Mexico Don't let this put you off cos you'll have a great time I'm sure Book a midships cabin and a mid deck I.e. 6 or 7 where you will get less movement Steer clear of the cabins near the front Not only do you get more movement in bad weather but the side thrusters and the anchor dropping is quite noisy

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries