Juneau - DIPAC Macaulay Salmon Hatchery and DYI

ama

We will be in Juneau mid June. Can anyone please advise if the salmon ladder will be "active" at this time? I've been reading various reports that if it isn't salmon season time during your visit there isn't much to see.

We are a family of 3 adults, 2 seniors and 2 kids. We definitely want to visit Mendenhall and experience the Nugget Falls hike.

I'm debating if we should just hire private transportation for a few hours to take us to Mendenhall, the salmon Hatchery, and then the Alaska Brewery. Thinking this could all be done in 5 hours.

Otherwise, we will just take the shuttle to Mendenhall and back to the cruise port.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

typically the activity is at the end of June. But the runs can be off by a week or 2, so just call DIPAC for an update before you leave home.

The mendenhall shuttle is $30 pp. There are 7 pax taxis available in Juneau, which will be much cheaper and gives you more flexibility with your schedule.

Thank you! Are the 7 passenger taxis easily accessible at the cruise port? I'm assuming I can then request a pick up when we're ready to leave Mendenhall. Wondering if I need to do any pre-booking.

Is there a car rental agency close to the port?

Thank you! Are the 7 passenger taxis easily accessible at the cruise port? I'm assuming I can then request a pick up when we're ready to leave Mendenhall. Wondering if I need to do any pre-booking.

Is there a car rental agency close to the port?

Juneau Car Rental, and maybe Avis will be back?

I wouldn't wait until you're ready to leave Mendenhall to call for a cab ..... there are several thousand other cruise pax in town after their services and it .takes 20-30 minutes for the driver to get from downtown to the glacier,

Either pre-arrange a pick up time or call 30-40 minutes before you're ready to leave.

There are 7pax cabs. The Mendenhall Glacier web site lists several vendors.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

If you have a long port time, a rental car would certainly open up more sightseeing options. You can get 7 pax into a mini van.