Motion sickness?

mom23krzkidz

I have been snorkeling a few times...and truly enjoyed it. We even got our own equipment. Only issue I had last time was when we went drift snorkeling I became extremely nauseated, made worse when trying to take pictures of things we saw underwater. This didn't happen when snorkeling off a beach. We are considering trying out scuba to see if we like it as much, but that last little trip making me so sick has me kind of nervous. Is this something common and likely to be a problem if we try diving? Or is it just a weird thing of being on a small boat followed by drifting in pretty choppy water for an hour that did me in?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know about diving, but I have experienced the same "seasickness" when snorkeling. It was the worst when in choppy water or drift snorkeling, but has happened when snorkeling off a beach, as well. I now just take a Bonine in advance, so it doesn't become an issue. Helps with any choppy-boat-trip problems too.

Usually the only time divers get sea sick is when they are at the surface waiting for the boat to pick them up. It is the rocking motion of the waves. Underwater you don't have waves. You can only feel the waves from around 10' from surface to the surface....so that is why it is common for snorkelers to get sea sick if there are waves.