2-3 nights in Germany before boarding ship in Warnemunde?

We are considering a northern Baltic cruise this summer and would like to spend a few days in Germany before heading to the port. In doing some quick reading, it appears the train service would be sufficient to get us to the port, hopefully, depending on where we are coming from.

Could you perhaps suggest an idea or two for what we might want to see for 2-3 nights? I suppose we'd like to see a castle, ride the ICE, drink some nice beer, etc. Age range of the group will be 10-70. Would Hamburg be a good point to be based out of? Would love to travel down to Munich, but that may be a bit far. Still trying to determine the best airfare in and out.

thanks!

Germany is a healthy sized country, so deciding where to fly into is a priority. Many flights into Frankfurt, so you could stay on the Rhine for a couple of nights to get over the jet lag, then head north. We have done this. I think I would rent a car and turn it in close to the ship, but that is us. We have driven extensively in Germany, it is pretty easy.

Figure out the flights first. Give yourself as many days as possible.

It is easy to rent a car, using a few precruise days, and explore northeastern Germany. This is one of our favorite areas in Europe. If you are interested in castles - here is one that is a lovely castle/manor house hotel. We have stayed here.

https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/germany/schlitz-mecklenburg-vorpommern-hohen-demzin

The nearby towns of Neubrandenburg and Teterow are historic walled cities and interesting to visit. Roads are good and well signed. Consider driving, perhaps flying into Berlin or Hamburg, then renting a car.

• 3 weeks later...

You fly in to Hamburg. Munich is at the other end of the country, it would take you a day in the train to get there and a day in the train to get back. I would suggest you stay in the North. Northern Germany is often underestimated by travellers from overseas. You folks all want Berlin and Munich and if it has to be the North you go to Hamburg and that was it.

So here is your itinerary:

start in Hamburg (HoHo Bus, Alster river boat cruise, take in the view from the Elbphilharmonie Plaza (viewing platform - you don?t need a concert ticket)

railway to Luebeck

walk the lovely medieval downtown (world heritage site)

go on a 1 hr boat tour around the downtown island

visit one of the many museums (if you are interested in the history of the Hanseatic League do not miss Hansemuseum (whole exhibition is in English!)

railway to Schwerin

boat tour on the lake (excellent view on the castle from the water - boats dock in front of the castle)

tour the castle

stroll through the lovely historic city center

hotel recommendation: Weinhaus Woehler (historic wine merchant with lovely rooms in the heart of downtown)

train to Stralsund

walk the lovely medieval downtown (world heritage site)

visit Ozeaneum (thrilling museum about oceans and sea life)

if you have one more day:

rent a car and drive around the island of Ruegen (at Stralsund?s doorstep)

train to Rostock-Warnemuende to board your ship

do not miss a walk at Alter Strom, Warnemuende seaside promenade

There is a city train which takes you directly from the airport to downtown Hamburg for less than 4 Euros per person. Group tickets available. Ticket vendor machine understands English. HoHo busses start directly opposite central train station. River cruises start from Landungsbruecken (HoHo Bus and city train have stops there).

Train from Hamburg to Luebeck runs less than 1 hr and costs 15 Euros. English website of Hansemuseum: www.hansemuseum.eu/language/en/ and of tourism Luebeck: http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/

train from Luebeck to Schwerin runs 1:40 hrs and costs between 17 and 27 Euros per person depending on time and type of train.

English tourism website Schwerin: http://www.schwerin.com/en/

Train from Schwerin to Stralsund is 1:50 hrs and 19-36 Euros. The English website of Ozeaneum is here: www.ozeaneum.de/en/ and the Stralsund tourism website (English) is this: www.stralsundtourismus.de/en/welcome

Island of Ruegen tourism information in English: https://www.ruegen.de/en/ueber-ruegen.html

Train from Stralsund to Warnemuende (you have to change at Rostock main station) is 1:30 hrs and 20 Euros.

I live in Luebeck so here is a special offer:

time permitting I could show you around

I am a private person and not a travel guide and I do not work in the tourism industry. This is just a private offer to a member of the cruise critic community.

AntjeG, great itinerary and your offer is so kind. We were in Warnemünde and few months ago and took the train to Rostock for the day, nice day. We have been to Lübeck numerous times having lived in Stade at one time and it is a lovely city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums