Tragedy on the Emerald

Bugalugsnz

Please excuse me if my question has already been answered. I am having some trouble with the new format.

My question: who is the Captain on the Emerald? I sailed the Emerald, Transatlantic, in 2015. The Captain at that time was wonderful.

Having sailed on the Emerald, and also having cruised New Zealand, last October, this entire tragedy is hard for me. Thanks, all, for the good thoughts and words.

I wish for the best for the Captain, crew, and families.

The Captain is William Kent. He kept us fully informed at all times.

The night before our disembarkation I understand the memorial fund set up for passenger contributions had reached over $30,000.

We all felt terribly sad. I hope Princess takes care of the family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Under international law, any "workman's compensation" type insurance for crew is based on whatever is provided by the national government of the country where the crew member is a citizen.

That nitrogen tank, at least from the photos I've seen, is a portable gas cylinder used to charge the accumulators on the lifeboat davit. That "top bit" is the valve assembly, and this is the typical cause of accidents with these compressed gas cylinders. I hate to say it in a fatal accident, but nearly 90% of these accidents are user errors, where either the cylinder falls over, is dropped, or struck with a tool, breaking off the valve and turning the cylinder into a rocket.

Once at Argonne National Laboratory saw a nitrogen tank like that get knocked over while being moved into a rack. The valve broke and the tank flew 20 feet across a room, went right through a cinder block wall, went 15 feet across another room before getting embedded in another wall (the front went through, but then ran into an equipment rack, that, while badly dented, was strong enough to stop it.