What's that awful NOISE? Creaking and groaning in Disney Wonder stateroom

SallySailedAway2

The last night on the Wonder (this past Saturday) there were a few bigger waves that I noticed when I went out on the verandah. They must have continued all night, as the ship swayed back and forth - which I don't mind AT ALL - I loved being rocked when I'm in my bed on a ship; however, the NOISE kept me up all night long. The whole room was creaking and cracking - like an old wooden house in a strong wind. The sliding door to the closet also banged off and on...I'd expect that. But the creaking was all around me - and it was LOUD. I didn't sleep more than an hour or two the whole night (I'm a light sleeper as it it). I was considering going back on the Wonder next month with my daughter and her family (in my OWN verandah cabin), but now I think I'll reconsider. I was totally exhausted when I got home. I've cruised over 30 times, mostly RCI, but at least six Disney cruises (the one before this one on the newer Dream) and I've never heard such noise! Anyone else have this happen? (other caveats to doing this cruise: we paid for my daughter's cruise (over $2,000) and this past weekend spent $1600+ on our three day, and another cruise in March would be $1700. We aren't rich, so if there may be more sleepless nights, this much more money spent since Jan. 1 is probably too much :(

The sliding door to the closet also banged off and on...I'd expect that.(
That happened to me too... until I discovered the Velcro lock the next morning! Problem solved. Check with hospitality if you can't find the Velcro. Then again with the drydock... things could have changed.

Can you share your cabin number? Only major noise around my Deck 2 cabin was during docking with the anchor and gangway.

We had a similar problem on the Magic (essentially a twin of Wonder) on the transatlantic cruise last May. Fairly rough seas hitting the ship almost broadside caused a lot of creaking and an incredibly loud banging, which Engineering insisted was caused by the waves hitting the hull. That noise kept up for about a day and a half until we were in calmer waters. Our stateroom was on the 7th deck, starboard side, very close to the stern.

PopFl, that would have driven me crazy! I'm retired and used to quiet during the day AND at night! I've never had that kind of creaking and groaning on an RCI ship - and they are a lot cheaper to sail on. I enjoyed the three nighter we just took on the Wonder, but putting down another $1640+ for a verandah cabin again next month, even though I'd be with my daughter and her family, seems a bit much.

We had a similar issue on the Magic. Seems to be more noticeable in certain cabins when the ship is heading into larger waves. Happens on all ships but seemed worse than usual.

Was told the creaking was due to a couple of possible reasons. One, some flex is expected in high seas which make things like the roof and wall panels rub together. Not much they can do about that if its a bunch of them.

Second, the flexing can move piping and conduit in the walls, which is why some cabins have it worse than other.

Third, and the fixable one, something just got knocked loose.

So, Loonbeam, you're not taking any chances on cruises now? Looks like you had something like Land Based Only now. Wondering if that's what I should do too. I thought $1640 for one person for three nights was a lot, but I looked ahead and in May, when the Wonder is in CA, the cost would be $2,000+ for three nights - yikes!

We have been on the Magic twice and the Wonder once. We noticed that the cabin rattles and creaks were more noticeable on these ships but not unbearable. My MIL had a handicapped room at the aft of the ship and it was very noisy and it couldn't be remedied. We got used to the noises but I will say that these ship cabin have more rattles than other cruise lines. Fortunately it didn't stop the fun we had on the cruises.

I've stayed mid ship on the Magic and Fantasy and going back on the Magic in Sept for our Mediterranean cruise. Really cant say we had very loud creaking. I sleep with head phones/ear plugs on since my DHs snoring is louder than the creaking LOL He slept like a baby and no one else woke up from creaking and we had rough seas the first night on the Magic

THANK you, everyone, for responding. I've decided, after reading many reviews on several sites, that I should skip this cruise. It seems that there is engine noise (creaking/banging/stuttering) ) or cleaning crew (2nd floors) or some matter of disturbing noise (pool, dining rooms, theater) no matter the floor or the area of the ship. I've been on the Dream a couple times and never had noise issues - perhaps because it's a bigger and newer ship - or maybe I just got lucky. I'm 68 years old, a light sleeper, and I get very cranky if I can't sleep. Two nights out of three without sleep and I'm just ready for my quiet bed at home. I'm hoping my daughter and her family don't have too many issues with noise and movement - I will give them advice on noise canceling machines , ear plugs, and motion sickness pills/patches. They are both teachers, and their son is 11 years old, so this is a real treat for them - just to get away on a DISNEY cruise. Also hoping they aren't too disappointed, as the last two cruises I took them on were on the Dream...a much better ship. Again, THANK YOU ALL!

Not giving up, just nothing booked. Our next two vacations are booked on land for various reasons (hard to see Nieuschwanstein on a cruise). Might do a short Carnival this year budget permitting.

I'd have no problem sailing the Wonder, would just avoid aft, in terms of noise, but as you noted, Disney runs at an insane premium. The Carnival we are looking at for 3 nights is $2200pp for a suite...

So, Loonbeam, you're not taking any chances on cruises now? Looks like you had something like Land Based Only now. Wondering if that's what I should do too. I thought $1640 for one person for three nights was a lot, but I looked ahead and in May, when the Wonder is in CA, the cost would be $2,000+ for three nights - yikes!

ALL ships will do some creaking and make noise. This of course is worse during heavier weather and alot depends on the direction/ speed of the wind, seas and the vessels course and speed. You could have a night of very heavy seas and wind, but if the course of the vessel lets her ride better you may not feel a thing. Yet you could have a night of relatively mild wind and seas, but if the vessel course and speed is such that she is riding hard.....you will hear the creaking and noise more.

Those noises, especially the creaking are a good thing, the vessel is flexing, the structural members and other parts of moving .this means they will not break as easily as if they were built ridgedly.

ALL ships will do some creaking and make noise. This of course is worse during heavier weather and alot depends on the direction/ speed of the wind' date=' seas and the vessels course and speed. You could have a night of very heavy seas and wind, but if the course of the vessel lets her ride better you may not feel a thing. Yet you could have a night of relatively mild wind and seas, but if the vessel course and speed is such that she is riding hard.....you will hear the creaking and noise more.

Those noises, especially the creaking are a good thing, the vessel is flexing, the structural members and other parts of moving .this means they will not break as easily as if they were built ridgedly.[/quote']

All true...but I've done enough cruises to know when something is different than the norm. And on DCL, I can further refine that to "not the norm for this ship." There is always some sound, but on rare occasions, we've had it be awful.

THANK you, everyone, for responding. I've decided, after reading many reviews on several sites, that I should skip this cruise. It seems that there is engine noise (creaking/banging/stuttering) ) or cleaning crew (2nd floors) or some matter of disturbing noise (pool, dining rooms, theater) no matter the floor or the area of the ship. I've been on the Dream a couple times and never had noise issues - perhaps because it's a bigger and newer ship - or maybe I just got lucky. I'm 68 years old, a light sleeper, and I get very cranky if I can't sleep. Two nights out of three without sleep and I'm just ready for my quiet bed at home. I'm hoping my daughter and her family don't have too many issues with noise and movement - I will give them advice on noise canceling machines , ear plugs, and motion sickness pills/patches. They are both teachers, and their son is 11 years old, so this is a real treat for them - just to get away on a DISNEY cruise. Also hoping they aren't too disappointed, as the last two cruises I took them on were on the Dream...a much better ship. Again, THANK YOU ALL!

We did the Wonder cruise to Alaska and the rooms were only noisier then the Dream when we were getting hit just off the bow with the waves (hitting them on an angle). But the rest of the time, she had the same creaking noise level as the Dream. I believe her stabilizers were having issues due to the amount of roll that she had, the waiter confirmed she was rolling more then usual.

Predrydock the Wonder did have a shaft vibration from the main props and the stern side thrusters. Both should have been fixed during the dry dock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's your choice of course, but not one I would make. I've been on the Wonder three times now, the most recent in January. I didn't find our cabin any different than the other ships and lines I've been on in terms of room noise. A LOT is dependent on cabin location, weather and your particular sensitivity to noise. Aft cabins are going to be more subject to vibrations from engines but only at top RPMs, rougher seas are going to cause twists and creaks. If you look for posts about noise, you are going to find a lot of them. People don't write about quiet cabins, they write about noisy ones. It's one thing to heed the reviews of others and it is quite another to look at all of the bad reviews and make your decision based on that.

We sailed on Wonder post dry-dock, aft room, 7th floor. The engine vibration is still there. In our room, it caused a LOT of creaking noises, so much that I had trouble sleeping. After a few nights, I realized that the ceiling was hitting the walls in a few specific spots. DCL knew about it too since I noticed small wood inserts in a few places. They missed one, probably because being on the floor in front of that spot, instead of on the bed, caused the noise to stop. I folded up a Navigator and inserted it : problem solved ! It was our tenth cruise and it was the first time we experienced something like that. It wasn't because of rough seas as there were no waves.

There's a video on YouTube of rattling in a suite on our sailing. The poster mentioned that it was so bad that they asked them to sleep in a regular cabin at night and use the suite during the day. The light fixture seems to be ready to fall off the ceiling in the video.

Sent from my iPad using Forums