Just back from Voyager of the Seas 11/4/05-11/13/05

Amink

I haven't written a review yet, but wanted to let you we had a wonderful time, and I can answer your questions if ya have any.

I will write my review hopefully this week, but right now I am waist deep in laundry...

We sail Dec 3 - Western Caribbean and we are having a hard time deciding on excursions. Questions - with RCL or island excursion company? We are reading on about Stingray and Island Tour by Nativeway Watersports that looks interesting. We are a party of 7 with 5 in the age range of 16-21. Also, Dunn River Falls --- there are so many options, what is the best? We don't want to do the tubing with it. We have also check out a company called Orville's.

Any suggesions on excursions and ones with either RCL or island companies. Any information you can offer will really help.

Thanks

I have 8 family members that just boarded today for a back to back cruise on the Voyager. The Voyager was my first cruise. What a beautiful ship! I'm just curious who the Captain and cruise director were?

Lisa

We are going on Explorer of the Seas next Sunday (11/20), and I have a question for anyone who recently went on a RCCL cruise. Do the SeaPass cards have a hole in them so they can be attached to a lanyard? Or do I need to bring a hole puncher with me?

We sail Dec 3 - Western Caribbean and we are having a hard time deciding on excursions. Questions - with RCL or island excursion company? We are reading on about Stingray and Island Tour by Nativeway Watersports that looks interesting. We are a party of 7 with 5 in the age range of 16-21. Also, Dunn River Falls --- there are so many options, what is the best? We don't want to do the tubing with it. We have also check out a company called Orville's.

Any suggesions on excursions and ones with either RCL or island companies. Any information you can offer will really help.

Thanks

We have never done any of Dunn's River Falls, too much work, not enough fun, IMHOP.

In Grand Caymen, we did the Reef and Wreck snorkle tour the first time, it was fantastic.

This past time we did the Rays and Reef tour, we also loved this, however the snorkeling at the reef was disapointing, the surf was so rough we only spent about 15 min in the water, it was too tireing...

The Rays were awesome, but some people on our tour were dissapointed, they thought we were going to the sandbar to see the rays, but we were actually snorkeling in 16 feet of water with them, it was fantastic!

We are on the same sailing with you. Have you signed up for the meet and mingle yet? Looks like it will be on 12/4 at 11:45 a.m. in the High Notes Jazz Club (I believe that's in the Viking Crown Lounge). We also have a thread going on the roll call board.

As far as tours go, here's what we're doing:

Labadee- water park (for 5 1/2 year old DD) and DH is renting a waverunner (the 2 of us did this on our '02 Explorer cruise and had a blast!

Jamaica- Phil Lafayette tour- http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/

We're doing the falls and tubing one, but he offers others, and I believe tours can be personalized

Grand Cayman- Rays, Reef, and Rum Point with Native Way

Cozumel- Playa Mia beach break through RCI

Can't wait to get on the ship!!! Less than 3 weeks!!!

Hi, glad to hear you had a wonderful time, I have a few questions if you don't mind. It's always good to hear from people that have actually sailed on the ship.

We are sailing on the Voyager / Western Caribbean on Dec 31st and can not wait!

How did you find the size of the ship? Did it feel crowded? What was the best part of being on the Voyager and what was your worst? One last question, what was your disembarkation process like?

My husband and I are travelling with our two daughters (11 and 17) and can only imagine what a ship of this size is like.

Thank you so much for your time.

I felt the ship really swallowed people... the first day and last day, it was pretty cold and windy, not many people on the pool decks, but the interior of the ship was not crowded either... I really couldn't figure out where the people went.

The biggest problem we had was waiting for the elevators, we learned from a previous cruise on Mariner that the elevators were slow, and often passed you. So we booked on deck six, near the forward elevators, as they were less busy... that way we could just walk down the steps to the promenade, and across and then down the steps for dinner. also we would just walk down to the Theater and Lounge.

Since those elevators were less busy, we would go up to deck ten and then walk across the pool decks to get to the windjammer. This system seemed to work well for us.

As for kids, there were 800 on board, and honestly, I don't remember them being too roudy or rude, but we avoided the pools (I don't do sun) and stayed away from the aft part of the ship, where the kids activeties were located.

I was not impressed w/ disembarkation, we were the second color called, but since they called 3 colors at a time it was chaos.

We got off the ship, and onto the bus had a horrible ride on the bus standing, then went to claim our luggage, the porters were running people over, people were screaming, and trampling over things, quite a mess...

I just did VOS this past week. I booked excursions through RCCL. I think you can do better booking on the Island or doing it yourself. As far as Dunns River Falls, someone posted that it was too much work but not sure how they could comment when they never did it. We did the cruise to DRF's and it was great. All 5 of us including two of my kids loved it. It was very refreshing and the climb was not too difficult. I highly recommend it. The fresh water is very refreshing in the hot climate.

We set sail on Voyager in a matter of days 11/26/05 We can't wait! Do you know if they have a photo lab on the ship? How was the food in the main Din. Room ?

They do develop on the ship for you and I know at the end they had some special for duplicate prints. Not sure how much they charged. We though the food in the main DR was good. Not spectacular but we enjoyed the food. Just remember you can order multiple appetizers and entrees and if you don't like something, ask for something else. The waiters are more than happy to accomodate.

We set sail on Voyager in a matter of days 11/26/05 We can't wait! Do you know if they have a photo lab on the ship? How was the food in the main Din. Room ?

They do develop on the ship for you and I know at the end they had some special for duplicate prints. Not sure how much they charged. We though the food in the main DR was good. Not spectacular but we enjoyed the food. Just remember you can order multiple appetizers and entrees and if you don't like something, ask for something else. The waiters are more than happy to accomodate.

the porters were running people over

I know! Unreal. We almost got into a scuffle with two of them. If I had snagged a porter, I would most certainly have not tipped him if he was physically forcing people out of his way. Rude and disrespectful. Fire every one of them.

we went to see the falls, but did not climb them, it didn't look like people were having fun, so I asumed that they were not... And all of the people I spoke too about the climb hurt themselves in some way or another, by twisting and ankle, or scarping a leg, or falling and getting hurt, just doesn't sound like much fun, and really looks like too much work.

The last I knew the captain should have been Capt Erik Tengelsen, the other captain that he rotates with is on holiday now (Capt Sven Pettersen?)

I think it was Sven Petersen, I remember hearing the name Sven.

This Captain seemed nice, but not as friendly as Captain Johnny (we loved him)

Welcome home!

We're leaving on VOS this Friday, the 18th. We were on her once a couple of years ago, and at that time, Johnny Rockets was free. Is it still free on this ship or are they now charging. Just wondering. We have kids that were frequent flyers. Hoping it's still free.

Thats sounds great:) Double Lobster mmmm LOL:D

hi capesteno, no, johnny rockets is not free any more. There is a 3.95 per person charge, which is for the food. If you want a milkshake or something else to drink, there is an additional charge. I believe the milk shake was almost $4 each. but it was good. My daughter couldn't even drink it after the hamburger, fries and onion rings. You even get a dessert. Once was enough for me.

Things definetly did not get off to a good start for us, and I think I can speak for most of us on this cruise (Nov. 4th)

We all got the news about two days prior to sailing that Voyager was stuck in Bermuda an extra day due to high winds, ok, we had to except the fact that she would be a little late, and our boarding would be delayed a bit :rolleyes: but not 10 hours!! The beginning boarding process went great with the set sail pass, good system there. Than we sat, and sat, and sat!! We sat there for 7 hours, cold & hungry and only 1 bathroom (1 Men & 1Womens) to share with almost 3,000 people, can you say frustrated:eek:

So we get on board at 10:30, we try the dining room, but they closed it at 10, so up to the island grill for some crappy dry leftovers, not very good food up there, IMO, took a quick look around and went off to bed. Next night was formal night, it was nice but I really think RCCL has gone down hill with their food, and their service. I found that alot of their employees were rude, and did not seem to care much about you. I liked the pasta station at lunch but, the servers were really not very nice at all, very moody. Most of the other people in the dining room were nice though. I really feel very strongly that the food was not up to what it used to be, or at least to what I have enjoyed on RCCL before. Labadee is beautiful, they had a bar-b-que for us there, that was nice, but the native people that were selling their wares were very nasty & pushy. RCCL needs to work on this. They did have security there though. It poured while we were in Jaimaca, so we didn't get off the ship, but I've been there before and wasn't planning to anyway. There were 7 other ships in port while were were in Grand Cayman, it was really packed! we shopped a little, and walked a bit, but didn't stay out there too long as it was very hot, but a nice port stop. Grand Bahama was the pits! very dirty & again pushy people in the market place. We could only go to the one market, as we were told the International bazzar was mostly destroyed from a previous hurricane, I don't know, it looked fine to me, this was the place I wanted to go to, but the cab driver didn't give us a choice.

Sea days were very nice & relaxing, that is what I went for anyway just to relax. I found the ship to be very nice, but I have to say, not the spectacular beauty that it is advertised as. If you want a lot of things to do, this ship is for you, plenty to do on board, between the rock climbing wall, roller & ice skating, and golf, you can't get board, so I will give RCCL A+ for that, but food a C. The shows were ok, not the greatest I've seen before on a ship, I think Norwegian is the best in that department. I did like the Vibeology show, music & dancers were great!. The singers were way too loud, and I found they butchered alot of songs. The comedians were really very good. All in all, it was a nice cruise, not the best that I've been on but it was nice. The embarkcation fiasco set the tone for the cruise. RCCL really needs to get their act together and see that their paying passengers are treated a little better, did I mention they did not compensate us for missing 1 day of our cruise, yes, paid for 9, got 8, we were all a little surprised that at the very least they could have given us a shipboard credit. Nothing, nodda, Zero! That's just wrong!!:mad: I do not think I will cruise on RCCL again, not until they become less greedy, and pay more attention to paying customers.

I hope anyone that is cruising on RCCL will have a better experience than I did, I wish you well, and sincerely hope RCCL gets their act together soon!

Archived