What is the 1 DO NOT MISS thing to do?

tchoney

:confused: I am planning a cruise for my son's college graduation next year. I have read numerous boards and forums. Most of them give generic 'things to do' ideas like go to a hotel and pay to use the pool, all-inclusive resort, shopping, eat at a local restaurant, etc. That sounds awesome. Except, my family would not enjoy that. We prefer some type of cultural adventure.

We would really like to know If you had to choose 1 thing to do in Aruba or Curacao, what would it be?

Do you tour the town on foot walking as far as you can and back to port?

Do you walk to specific museums?

Do you take a taxi someone?

Do you take the bus somewhere?

Is there a local flavor of something that we cannot miss?

Do you visit some factory? How do you get there?

Do you walk to a beach from the port? Which one?

Please be as specific as possible including details, directions and prices if possible.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

I don't think anyone will be able to answer all of your questions, but I'll fill in what I can. You can walk all around downtown. There is an archeological museum and a fort downtown. It won't take long to see both of those. There are lots of beautiful, Dutch inspired buildings to look at. There is a new walking tour that just started recently. I'm not sure of the name. I've seen it somewhere, and if I run across it, I will post it.

It sounds like you are not interested in beaches, snorkel tours, etc.

There is a lovely chapel, Alta Vista, that many people visit, but you would need a car or taxi. The lighthouse is not far from there.

If I had a not miss thing to do, mine would be a combination tour of the wild side (desert side) that ended with beach time. I love the wild side of Aruba, with rock formations, cacti, caves, wild donkeys, crashing waves.

Since you want to incorporate cultural sites, you should consider doing a private tour. Many people use Bully, (bullytaxi79@hotmail.com), Sonny Binns, Cerry, Hubert, Ivan. I only have Bully's email because he is the one that we use, but you can put their names in the search function on this board and find out their info. Most of them will customize the tour to what you want to see and do, and will have suggestions. We didn't do a private tour this year, but have several times. The last time that we did, the price was $45.00 per hour, for the group of 5 or less people. Sonny Binns takes a larger group. I don't know what he charges.

There are also tours of the aloe factory, Balashi Beer factory, the Butterfly Museum, Donkey Sanctuary, Philips Animal Garden.

The buses aren't going to take you where you want to visit.

Edited by Hatteras51

I don't think anyone will be able to answer all of your questions, but I'll fill in what I can.

I appreciate your response Hatteras51! I didn't expect a response to each. I was just hoping someone would have a response to at least one of them. From the port, can you walk to the Aloe Factory? We love the beach and snorkeling but have planned that for Grand Turk since we have been there before. At Aruba, since we have never been, we want to see how people live and experience the cultural and history. Thank you for the information on the taxis! That is incredibly helpful and I will look that up! :)

What you really need is a guidebook! Your local library's reference section has them. It will tell you ALL about Aruba (or other ports!) and points of interest, beaches, shopping, food/drink, transportation, safety, etc.... Aruba is easy to maneuver!

What you really need is a guidebook! Your local library's reference section has them. It will tell you ALL about Aruba (or other ports!) and points of interest, beaches, shopping, food/drink, transportation, safety, etc.... Aruba is easy to maneuver!

Great idea! Thanks. I'll go my library Tuesday!

:confused: I am planning a cruise for my son's college graduation next year. I have read numerous boards and forums. Most of them give generic 'things to do' ideas like go to a hotel and pay to use the pool, all-inclusive resort, shopping, eat at a local restaurant, etc. That sounds awesome. Except, my family would not enjoy that. We prefer some type of cultural adventure.

We would really like to know If you had to choose 1 thing to do in Aruba or Curacao, what would it be?

Do you tour the town on foot walking as far as you can and back to port?

Do you walk to specific museums?

Do you take a taxi someone?

Do you take the bus somewhere?

Is there a local flavor of something that we cannot miss?

Do you visit some factory? How do you get there?

Do you walk to a beach from the port? Which one?

Please be as specific as possible including details, directions and prices if possible.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

For young men I think they would really like Aruba Trikes. It is really alot of fun and will take you around the island to see some of the highlights and see the changes in the island one side to the other.

For young men I think they would really like Aruba Trikes. It is really alot of fun and will take you around the island to see some of the highlights and see the changes in the island one side to the other.

AGREED!! Loved the Trikes! Got to see a lot of the island and "must dos" (Alto Vista, California Lighthouse, Casabiri Rocks, Eagle Beach, etc). So much fun!! Easy to drive - no cycle license necessary. Trikes hold up to 3 people!