First cruise

Missymssy

There is the problem. Have a rule and enforce it or drop it. Maybe it should be that the late returning passengers make an exception to their plans and go quickly change or realize that the way to go is to eat in the cabin....which is actually quite nice. This makes the other people who have bothered to adhere to the guidelines, whether they like them or not, to not feel disrespected. I agree that the Regent expectations are quite clear.

I can see making exceptions if A) the guests would miss dining completely (rather than just eating 20 minutes later than they'd like), and B) the late return was unexpected, i.e. Regent or the tour operator's fault. IMO, booking an excursion that returns late and then expecting to be seated at dinner in shorts or similar attire isn't acceptable.

Out of interest, when do guests get told the dress code by Regent? Our first ever cruise is a few months away and I've not had any communication from Regent. Unless I'd read these posts I wouldn't have known about the dress code and may only have packed jeans out if ignorance more than anything else. I'm with I think the majority, if you have a dress code enforce it but also give people warning of the rules way in advance

Hongkongalan: buried in the FAQ section, it states "Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise.*"Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Missy, got to say I would totally have missed that and I do my research pretty thoroughly. I wonder if the compliance issue is in part people just not knowing the rules till it's too late? I'm going to buy some cotton trousers for the trip given this thread, but glad I know now not once I'm on board.

I'm booked on QM2 for June and Cunard immediately emailed their dress code. :eek: If you don't have whatever formalwear they dictate, you can barely leave your room. You can go into the buffet and ONE lounge. Otherwise they don't want to see you.

We sailed with Cunard once...once. It was a Christmas cruise and the ship was gorgeous. Fifteen nights and like 5 or 6 formal nights. I didn't complain much because it was Christmas, but man, it made packing and getting dressed a complete pain.

Maybe that's why we came back to Regent and haven't strayed since, who knows? ;p