Returned last week from "Royal Princess" cruise

marco

We're big Princess fans and cruise with them frequently. We all thought the food was great! Lunch buffet in he Horizon Court and an unending selection, 2 or 3 days they had a very, very nice sushi bar. I'm not a big fan, but my b-i-l who also was on the cruise was impressed. Our entire table could not find fault with any dinner. Some cut backs are noticeable, however. I know all the lines are cutting back, so....rack of lamb was never on the menu for dinner, lox were not offered in Horizon Court at breakfast. I'm a big fan of lox and bagels for breakfast. I'm not complaining, just making the observation. As I've said earlier...we've been doing a winter Caribbean cruise for many years, now and the price has stayed the same for a LONG time. So... it's either raise the price or cut back. Seems most folks are happier with them NOT raising the prices. We never dined in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, so I can't comment on that. Enjoyed the entertainment, particularly the Beatles tribute. However, I now the entertainment comes and goes and get on/off different ships in different ports. As we were the ONLY ship in port in St Thomas, we docked at Havensight. (Much preferable to the "other" dock). We called at Grand Turk, which is kind of like an out island, again...much preferable, as they dock and it's a 2 minute walk to the beach with complementary loungers and a great Margaritaville with a lovely pool complete with swim up bar and a DJ. Of course, drinks are for purchase, but the sight is complementary......VERY nice!!!!!!! The ship alternates itineraries, so if you are sailing soon, you might not be calling at the same ports. Ship is maintained spotlessly! Crew very friendly and accommodating. We did not dine in any of the surcharge restaurants, so I can't comment on them. Poolside pizza was very good. They offer a "behind the scenes" tour. We did not take it. It's $150 pp. Ya....One hundred and fifty! I don't know what they show you, but I'd like to hear from someone who's taken it. The "comfy" loungers up at the serenity pool are $80 a day to sit in them.. We sat in the "free ones", 5 ft away. High tea offered some days was $10 pp. But like I said, prices for the base cruise haven't gone up over the past 20 years, so the discretionary on broad options are pricey. But at least they're discretionary. We took a similar cruise, same basic itinerary, same cabin category, same # of days 20 yrs ago and this years cruise cost us $20 more pp, so I have NO complaints!!!!!! It was a great cruise....no complaints at all!!!!!! I do see lots of changes over the years, as I've been cruising, starting as a kid with my parents, back in the 60's.

I know all the lines are cutting back, so....rack of lamb was never on the menu for dinner, lox were not offered in Horizon Court at breakfast. I'm a big fan of lox and bagels for breakfast. I'm not complaining, just making the observation.

They sometimes did have lox. I think they alternated it with another type of fish. I had a bagel and lox sandwich on the next-to-last morning (I was on the same sailing as you).

Some cut backs are noticeable, however. I know all the lines are cutting back, so....rack of lamb was never on the menu for dinner, lox were not offered in Horizon Court at breakfast. I'm a big fan of lox and bagels for breakfast. I'm not complaining, just making the observation. We have found that if lox is not out at the buffet at breakfast time, you can ask for some and it will be brought to your table.

However, now the entertainment comes and goes and get on/off different ships in different ports. This has been happening for years and not just with Princess. If a singer/comedian/magician/etc. is just giving one or two performances, there is no need for the person to be on for the entire voyage.

They offer a "behind the scenes" tour. We did not take it. It's $150 pp. Ya....One hundred and fifty! I don't know what they show you, but I'd like to hear from someone who's taken it. Well worth the cost. I do not remember seeing even one post by someone saying they wished they had not taken that Ultimate Ship Tour.

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed the cruise.