Free use of iMessage (iPhone) on Getaway?

bsharynu

On some NCL ships you may use iMessage (text not pictures) on your iPhone / iPad without purchasing an internet package. You just need to download and launch iConcierge (free version) to create the connection to the ships wifi.

The reason it's sporadic is different NCL ships have different wireless configurations that impact this "loop hole"

No other messaging app will work like iMessage in this manner.... not Whatsapp, Hangout, Textra, Skype, etc

I am reading conflicting reports. If I have an iPhone, am I able to use my iMessage without getting the internet package?

What about using Whats App?

Thanks

Some have reported a "bug" in the internet systems on some ships that allow this. It is NOT how the system is designed and the "bug" will eventually be fixed.

The staff knows all about this because I asked about it. They do not like to give a clear answer as to why it happens

My guess is that they are allowing it so the crew can communicate with family back home and each other on the ship

Now to ncl....you have a great incredible marketing hook here!!!

If you advertised that iMessage is available on your ships at a minimal cost or the cost to hook up with concierge that would be incredible

I had the free wifi so I didn't need iconcierge because I wasn't communicating with extended family on the ship but the fact that I could text the kids at home without wasting my wifi time was a godsend

Ok so now posters will say there isn't enough bandwidth to accommodate everyone and have any number of excuses why ncl won't be straightforward about this so called free iMessage but since communicating home is such a big deal when on a ship....

The cruiselines would be crazy to not use REAL enhanced FREE iMessage capabilities when selling their product

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was able to imessage and send messages on fb even at times on the escape and getaway but there were many times when it didnt work also so i just considered it a bonus when it did actually work. Otherwise all the ports had wifi so i just checked in then