Fans/Extention Cords

DisneyPrincess74

Just out of curiosity - why do so many of you feel the need to bring a small fan with you on a cruise??? I would understand it if there was no AC, but since the AC has been working just fine in our cabin on all cruises that I have been on so far, I just can't understand the need to bring a fan from home..... :p

I go to sleep every night to the noise of a fan. I need the white noise ever since my days of working 12:00am-8:00am. When I travel, I use the free white noise apps that have the sound of a fan. I am not sure if this will help anyone else but works for me

I go to sleep every night to the noise of a fan. I need the white noise

This. Maybe it's an Arizonan thing. Mine was confiscated on a cruise to Alaska so it wasn't a temperature thing. I was glad to have it for a past Caribbean cruise in September. The A/C doesn't provide that same breeze.

I agree, we been on ver 40 cruises, and with the A/C in the cabin, it is luck of the draw, plus where you are going to, for the P/C crossing, muggy & HOT...the fan was worth it.

But the white noise is a must....cabin walls are paper thin...the white noise is great.

Robin & Angel "D"

The security officer said this was a change within the past few months. Not a good way to start a cruise. :mad:

I wonder if this is related to announcements that were made on my Dawn sailing a couple of weeks ago, that I had never heard before on NCL?

They advised passengers that they must unplug any powerstrips, phone chargers, CPAPs, etc. basically anything plugged into an outlet, whenever the cabin was left unattended.

They advised that cabin stewards had been instructed to unplug same if they came across it during servicing of cabins.

They said it had to do with fire safety.

I followed that rule, but on the 4th day I decided to test the system and left my phone charger plugged in when I left my cabin that morning. Sure enough, when I returned to it later in the day...it had been unplugged.

Wonder if they've had fire or meltdown issues recently?

from the NCL website:

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles
  • Nothing about Fan/ extension cords

Robin & Angel "D"

Don't know where they draw the line. We travel with extension cords, power bars, cameras with chargers, phones with chargers, electric shavers and toothbrushes. Never had any problems. Sail on NCL a half dozen times a year.

Ditto. Get a small noisemaker from Brookstone or use white noise app on your phone. Won’t help with air circulation but you'll have your noise

• 2 months later...

I found this thread while looking to see if I can bring a small fan with me. Even with the A/C at max, those cabins are never cool enough for me and I wake up hot and muggy with my long hair wrapped around my throat from tossing and turning.

I've never had a problem bringing my ceramic flat iron with me on any cruise, and seeing it as a banned item doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Isn't the hair dryer in the room just as dangerous as a flat iron or a fan? I really want to bring my fan, but also don't want the hassle of having to retrieve it at the end if they take it away. Also, don't want to have to buy another one.

Seems taking a fan can be hit or miss on NCL