Passport cards

BJs mom

When I got my passport I asked the postal worker what was the difference and was told, "The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

When I got my passport I asked the postal worker what was the difference and was told, "The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean"

However, if in the unlikely event that you face an emergency which requires you to fly, already having a passport card makes it much easier to expedite acquiring a passport book.

We use passport cards for the whole family - never had an issue. My husband does have a passport book, so that if an emergency should arise at home which required our immediate attention, he would be available to fly without delay. However, we saw no need to spend <$450 on passports for myself and the two children to cruise when three $35 pass cards were adequate.

edited to add: My children travel to Mexico via car every year which was the initial reason for passport cards.

That quote sounds more like a website than a real person.;)

However, if in the unlikely event that you face an emergency which requires you to fly, already having a passport card makes it much easier to expedite acquiring a passport book.

We use passport cards for the whole family - never had an issue. My husband does have a passport book, so that if an emergency should arise at home which required our immediate attention, he would be available to fly without delay. However, we saw no need to spend <$450 on passports for myself and the two children to cruise when three $35 pass cards were adequate.

edited to add: My children travel to Mexico via car every year which was the initial reason for passport cards.

Cards are now $55 for adults and 40 for kids under 16.

My wife and myself just had our pass ports done maybe 6 weeks ago we got them back about 2 weeks ago. We paid 150$ for each one.

Regular first time passports are $135. You might have paid extra for the overnight delivery service which is $15.45.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html

The best way to explain passport cards, they are used mostly by commuters crossing borders. My son is a Captain in St.Thomas and he took cruise passengers to Jost Van Dyke, BVI. He used a passport card. If he used a regular passport he would need a new one every 6 months.

My wife and myself just had our pass ports done maybe 6 weeks ago we got them back about 2 weeks ago. We paid 150$ for each one.

Regular first time passports are $135. You might have paid extra for the overnight delivery service which is $15.45.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html

Might not be for overnight delivery. Looks like they got it after 4 weeks. Could be other reasons why $150.

The best way to explain passport cards, they are used mostly by commuters crossing borders. My son is a Captain in St.Thomas and he took cruise passengers to Jost Van Dyke, BVI. He used a passport card. If he used a regular passport he would need a new one every 6 months.

Could you explain further why he would need a new passport every 6 months.

Bill

Yes they charge me 15$ to take my photo, If not you have to go to a professional and have head shots taking figured 15$ was cheaper

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

That is not a government provided service, there are many options for passport photos. AAA provides them free, we got ours at Costco, I don't remember the charge but it was cheap. You can take your own photos as well, there is no rule saying you cannot, however they must meet the criteria for a passport photo to be accepted.

That is not a government provided service, there are many options for passport photos. AAA provides them free, we got ours at Costco, I don't remember the charge but it was cheap. You can take your own photos as well, there is no rule saying you cannot, however they must meet the criteria for a passport photo to be accepted.

We did ours at the post office too - the lady there said nearly 100% of the photos brought in by people who did it themselves don't pass muster. Now, she was probably selling me a picture but it was convenient and I had the 15 buckses so we did it lol.