Diamond Dissapointment

Jolimont

Just a bit of info...Just back from the 5/29 sailing and had lunch with a senior officer who told me that the starboard propeller had 6-12" ground off each blade (x6) making for a lot of vibration at high speed. The new replacement propeller is on the Sapphire Princess, and they are looking to change it after the Alaska season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've only see one person report that the Diamond will have to go into drydock and that was a week ago. Has anyone heard anything since then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The last I read from Cruise News Daily is that the repair on the propeller after the incident basically took care of the problem, but to get the ship in top running condition, the propeller has to be replaced. This means putting the ship into dry dock. Currently Princess is looking for a dry docking time. Many factors come into play as to when this will happen, including the fact the ship is scheduled for dry dock in December. No mention was given on how or when Princess would notify passengers. But, it was noted that they gave Cruise News Daily the information because they new there would be internet speculation.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

For those of you so down on Princess about this situation you may want to go over to the HAL board and read up on the problem the Veendam is having in alaska. Lots of unhappy HAL customers.

Scott

I thought I was appropriately sympathetic, Sarah. I did question some of the statements that were later used to embellish the story (to the effect that there must be something wrong with the ship) that were then patently ignored. Exaggeration and outright speculation in order to garner sympathy is not a trait that I find endearing and does a disservice to those who come here seeking information.

Man, am I a flame magnet or what! icon_cool.gif

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Man, am I a flame magnet or what! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It's nice to have some of it directed away from me. Sorry, buddy...misery loves company, you know... icon_cool.gif

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Scott,

My point exactly, from my earlier post! You can't just knock a line with weather and Noro problems, as they all have them! So, saying we'll cruise another line, having no problems, then raving about said line, isn't a fair comparison!

And for saying how expensive it is to get to Alaska, it's as expensive for us to get to Florida! And we fly there and cruise, even in hurricane season, all the time. We've also missed a port, due to weather. So? What was I supposed to do, cry? No, we just made the most of it. And that was before learning about CC, and how much help I could get here.

Let's just hope Jolimont has a good next cruise, on whichever line she chooses!

Nita

wow... new one on me... expressing a differing opinion is now considered abuse...?... simply said... I was on the same cruise as Jolimont and had some serious dissappointments as well... it could have "ruined" my cruise if I were willing for that to happen.. life and cruises are what you make of them... lol... I'd rather have lemonade than whine....

seafille

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Diamond Princess 11/04

Diamond Princess 12/04

Seafille - it apparently has not ruined your image of Princess - I see you have two more booked this year!!

NCL PRIDE OF ALOHA Oct. 2004

SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean

REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico

REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal

PACIFIC PRINCESS 1999 Europe

SUN PRINCESS 1998 Caribbean

ROYAL PRINCESS 1996 Panama Canal

coiran...

yup... and am hoping for another... I'd love to see more of Alaska...

seafille

Diamond Princess 05/04

Diamond Princess 04/04

Diamond Princess 11/04

Diamond Princess 12/04

Flame Magnet Steve reporting in.

It seems that if you take the time to set the record straight on the NON-opinion portions of a concern you are some evil fact thrower.

Sarah, if you read my posts you will not find a single comment on her Opinion portions, she had a bad time with waiting (so did I) she got the virus (thankfully I did not). If she had left out her ENTIRELY debunked comments on how there was a flaw with the ship no one would have taken issue. You can have an opionion about subjective things and expect to be left to it however when you offer up a statement about how something is "wrong" you leave yourself open to being proven "wrong" unless you are "right".

Perhaps there is a local charity or animal shelter that could make good use of your obviously caring heart and nature. As to the name calling of people as "abusers", that in and of itself is patently offensive. Use your buzzword elsewhere or accurately.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

This has been an interesting post. When you get a "hot topic" such as this, it all comes down to individual opinions and perceptions. One side will never convince the other side so it is just a matter of people getting tired of posting to the subject and it fades away.

If you have ever had the experience of taking a recorded statement on an accident, you realize that two people can view the same incident and come away with completely different views and impressions.

I would bet there have been quite a few people loose out on a job because they were judged on first impressions that did not match up to the facts, if all of the facts were known.

I think we all mix a little opinion with reality from time to time, it is human nature.

We can guard against it and tell others when we think they are doing it but human nature being what it is, we will all slip and do it, every so often. Oops.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Hi Jolimont I'm sorry about your cruise experience. Did you feel like a prisoner while being quarantined? I know I would of and I'm a NYPD detective. Also do you know how many cabins or people were affected? I believe the cruise staff could of given you a deck of cards. They have so many of them that they can throw them out. Also if I was the cruise staff I'd let you watch all the payperview movies. Again I'm sorry for your experience, George

Hi Flame magnet Steve

Im sure you are right about your facts its just you put it across so agressively.It would just be nice to be able to read these threads including your helpful facts without all the hostility attached, after all we are all discussing holidays here which should chill us out. Isnt that what cruising is all about?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi Jolimont I'm sorry about your cruise experience. Did you feel like a prisoner while being quarantined? I know I would of and I'm a NYPD detective. Also do you know how many cabins or people were affected? I believe the cruise staff could of given you a deck of cards. They have so many of them that they can throw them out. Also if I was the cruise staff I'd let you watch all the payperview movies. Again I'm sorry for your experience, George <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm still wondering about this forced quarantine. In a recent article by Cruise News Daily on the Island Princess Norwalk outbreak and subsequent early disembarkation of the cruise, it was implied that quarantine is suggested, not mandated.

Not that I wouldn't go along with a mandated quarantine...the reason this stuff spreads is because you can feel better and still be contageous and passengers don't heed the advice and leave their cabins too soon.

On our last morning on the Golden Princess last spring, we met a couple at breakfast and the wife told us that they had been quarantined in their inside cabin for three days because her husband was sick. She never was, but had to stay with him anyway. She offered to pay for an upgrade so at least they had a window but was told there were no cabins available. That morning, they were just glad to go home. I think it was more than just a "suggestion" as she would have certainly left that cabin given the opportunity.

"Aggressive", "hostility" are terms you are using subjectively. You can see things as you wish. Accordingly I won't debate your opinion with you however I do not agree.

I thank you in advance for affording me the same courtesy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sarahuk:

Hi Flame magnet Steve

Im sure you are right about your facts its just you put it across so agressively.It would just be nice to be able to read these threads including your helpful facts without all the hostility attached, after all we are all discussing holidays here which should chill us out. Isnt that what cruising is all about?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I can well understnad the frustration of those who are ill due to viral outbreaks, etc. while on a cruise. Let's face it, none of us would be happy to be in that situation. However...

I have flown many times on commercial airlines and frequently I have come down with a cold, a flu, a stomach bug--whatever--within 24-48 hours after flying, and I have yet to receive any kind of compensation whatsoever from an airline. In another instance, our family purchased a "luxury" ($1500-) sleeping compartment on a cross-country railroad trip and we all became ill mid-trip--and guess what? not a penny of compensaiton. In fact, our room steward refused to change our bed linens (where my 7 year-old had vomited) and wouldn't clean up the cabin! No reply from Amtrak, despite certified letters, etc. So for a cruise line to offer a reimbursement and a good-faith attempt to control/contain the situation to the best of their (at the time) ability demonstrates some kind of concern for passenger safety, unlike the commercial airlines and railroads.

In terms of embarkation delays, missed ports, mechanical failures, bad weather--unfortunately,these things happen. It is the very nature of cruising, and certainly one of the by-products of travel, whether by land, sea, or air. Our family was in the middle of a vacation at Disney World--as a matter of fact, my daughter and I were on the "Countdown to Extinction" ride at Animal Kingdom--when the 9/11 attacks occured. We were hustled off the ride and evacuated from the park, with zero compensation. And here we were, staying on-site at a Disney resort (and paying big $$ for the privelege), yet unable to enjoy the theme parks!

Again, I can relate ot the disappointment, as we have experienced it ourselves, but I have to give kudos to Princess for handling the situation as best they could at the time. If only Disney and Amtrak had done so well!

• 7 months later...

Sorry for posting something so long after this happened but I just happened across this the other day...

I was on this cruise with my mother... the cruise was her last wish to see Alaska.

I was very upset to find out that they had allowed many people off the ship in port who had complained before the ship set sail.

I am over it now, but I can't ever forgive Princess for how they handled the situation.

They didn't offer a discount on the same cruise in the future.

Customer relations is what I do for a living, and they did everything they could to compound the problem.

Sadly, my mom is too ill to go on a cruise ever again now, but I will make that cruise for her one of these days and see what she wanted to see, but... it won't be on Princess, not for what happened, but rather for how they dealt with the situation.

I am sure many of you have had great experiences on Princess, I have had many great cruises on other lines. I just think the situation deserved a bit more consideration and equal treatment.

I sent a letter to Princess and didn't even get the courtesy of a form-letter response.

Sorry to hear about your cruise, however I can relate we were on the Diamond in October and I got the norovirus Thursday night We have decided to give cruising another shot we have been on two Royal Caribbean cruises and one princess we are going to the Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean this year.

Archived