Butler on Gem 02-28-17

Horseworld

I'm sailing today on the Gem. It's a long story, but I'm sailing solo in cabin 11506. It's a family two bedroom suite that has a butler. This will be about my 30th cruise. The nicest cabin I have ever had was a standard balcony. I have no clue what a butler would do for me. The cabin sleeps six. How should I tip him/her? I do not want the fact that I'm solo to affect their income. Any guidance would very appreciated.

Tip based on the service you receive. If the butler brings a snack for you each day and does nothing else then tip what you think that would be worth. Don't look at any standards rates as you should not be tipping an awesome butler the same as one who you never see and who does the bare minimum. Same with concierge - if they do nothing for you there is no need to tip them.

Tip based on the service you receive. If the butler brings a snack for you each day and does nothing else then tip what you think that would be worth. Don't look at any standards rates as you should not be tipping an awesome butler the same as one who you never see and who does the bare minimum.

I agree; there is no "norm" for tipping a butler. It totally depends on what you ask him/her to do for you.

Just remember that the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC.

If you have Roshan, he is wonderful.

As you are sailing alone, you may like to have dinner brought in to your room a few times during the sailing. You can order from any restaurant. Fees apply for specialty dining but MDR food is no charge, and there is a decent room service menu that is also free.

we had our butler bring us fresh sliced lemon for our refillable water bottles and a cheese plate every night. he also brought various other treats during the 10 days.

some demand alot from their butler, some nothing. tip based on what you feel the butler is worth, remembering that they are not part of your $15.50 DSC.

Nice! I would love that. ;)

Have breakfast delivered....have at least one dinner delivered to your cabin by the butler. Give the butler a list of snacks that you would like in the afternoon....so he has some idea what you like. The butlers in the Haven are amazing!