Villefranche vs. Cannes

ckelly14

Is the first one (Villefranche) your only stop in France? If so, I would pick the Cannes and Marseilles cruise. You can visit most of the same places from either Cannes or Villefranche. However, time in each port, other ports visited, cruise length are very important considerations and could change any recommendations you get.

Yes, the first cruise is RT out of Barcelona and Villefranche is the only French stop, and additional to stops in Naples, Rome and Livorno, with 2 sea days.. The other is Rome to Barcelona one way with french stops in Marseilles and Cannes, with additional stops in Genoa, Naples, Livorno and only one sea day.

The one-way cruise is certainly preferred but I was a bit concerned about the cost for 4 people for 2 one-way flights. Just looking at alternatives.

Decided between two itineraries, one that tenders in Villefranche, the other stops at Cannes and Marseille. Preference?

Each port has their advantages...depending on where you want to go when on the port day. Keep in mind that both Cannes and Villefranche are tender ports....which generally means significant delays getting ashore. Villefranche gives you easy access to both Nice and Monte Carlo as well as the hilltop town of Eze. Nice is particularly good in the mornings when the outdoor Flower Market (except on Monday when its an Antique Market) is operating (although the Flower market does operate in the afternoon...the mornings are the best time to visit). Cannes is nice if you want to visit Cannes (obviously) and is also easier if you want to rent a car (there are more agencies in Cannes then the single agency that rents in Villefranche) to drive to places like St Paul de Vence, Grasse, etc. All things considered we would normally give an edge to Villefranche (because of its location) but then you toss Marseille into the mix. Marseille is a wonderful gateway port to get to many interesting places in the very popular Provence. So if Provence is a place you want to see....you would probably do better in opting for the Cannes/Marseille cruise.

Hank

Yes, the first cruise is RT out of Barcelona and Villefranche is the only French stop, and additional to stops in Naples, Rome and Livorno, with 2 sea days.. The other is Rome to Barcelona one way with french stops in Marseilles and Cannes, with additional stops in Genoa, Naples, Livorno and only one sea day.

The one-way cruise is certainly preferred but I was a bit concerned about the cost for 4 people for 2 one-way flights. Just looking at alternatives.

An open-jaw ticket is not necessarily more expensive than a round trip to the same airport. You don't book it as two separate one-ways, but as a "multi-city" ticket. Why don't you do a little comparison shopping in kayak.com or one of the airline websites? I just did a little test on Delta from JFK to Rome round trip and JFK-Rome return Barcelona-JFK on the same dates in June and the multi-city was $100 less.

As for the two itineraries I think the Rome-Barcelona is more interesting and more ports. Do try to spend a couple of extra days in Rome and Barcelona before and after your cruise. Don't discount the stop at Genoa. There is actually a lot of interest in that area.

An open-jaw ticket is not necessarily more expensive than a round trip to the same airport. You don't book it as two separate one-ways, but as a "multi-city" ticket. Why don't you do a little comparison shopping in kayak.com or one of the airline websites? I just did a little test on Delta from JFK to Rome round trip and JFK-Rome return Barcelona-JFK on the same dates in June and the multi-city was $100 less.

As for the two itineraries I think the Rome-Barcelona is more interesting and more ports. Do try to spend a couple of extra days in Rome and Barcelona before and after your cruise. Don't discount the stop at Genoa. There is actually a lot of interest in that area.

I not sure why that works, but you're right! Thanks!

I not sure why that works, but you're right! Thanks!

In a rational world, it would be because one leg is shorter than the other so the airline uses less fuel than in a round trip to the farthest point. However, I am sure that in an airline irrational world, there are many other explanations. :confused::D

In a rational world, it would be because one leg is shorter than the other so the airline uses less fuel than in a round trip to the farthest point. However, I am sure that in an airline irrational world, there are many other explanations. :confused::D

More of a comment as to why international one way fares are so inflated on US carriers. Never heard of multi-city before. Thanks for the tip!