Galveston sailings

Pellegrino

Am thinking about doing a western from here. Several questions come to mind. Where does one stay for a pre night room? Houston or Galveston?

How about transfers to and from the ship?

What time should I schedule a return flight?

Any good restaurants near the hotels for pre cruise dinner?

Is this a popular port for sailing?

Thanks, any information will be appreciated. Ellen

It depends on when you are flying in. We are not going to be in to Houston until around 8:30. So figuring that we will get out of the airport at 9 at the earliest, we decided to go right to Galveston and stay there. If we stayed by the airport, we wouldn't do anything at night, and would then have to make the trip to the pier in the morning. it should be faster to get to Galveston at night, and we'd be traveling there on what I would consider to be wasted time anyway. We can get up in the morning, look around Galveston a bit if we want before boarding the ship.

Does anyone know what time they start boarding in Galveston? I'll post a separate thread on this.

We've "pricelined" the Hotel Galvez twice on cruises out of Galveston and were happy both times. It is a lovely hotel, although watch out for rm 255, has an obstructed view. Great shuttle service to and from the cruise. We park our car there for much less than the advertised car parks. The last time we were there, they asked us to call them when we cleared customs, which we did and by the time we got outside the shuttle was there. When we drove up to the hotel they had pulled our car to the front, turned on the air conditioner, (it was September in Texas, what else do I have to say) helped us unload our luggage from the van to the car and we were off. Great experience:)

The Galvez is beautiful. Great choice!

I would definitely not stay in Houston, if you have the choice. Galveston is such a neat city, and there is tons to see and do before or after a cruise. Plus, you didn't say which airport you're coming into -- if it's all the way up at IAH, you're talking about quite a drive the morning of the cruise. I'd rather be at the port, where I can wake up and leisurely have breakfast, and be fresh and ready to board.

If you need specifics on any Galveston hotel, I might be able to give you some. Or I can always swing by and look at one you're interested in if I'm not familiar with it. Just let me know!

-gina-

Thanks for all the advice. I am also concerned about return flights. If we do this we will fly into Hobby. Flights back to Phila. can be booked from 1130 on. I would prefer this time as we change planes and the time changes. Does this seem to be enough time to disembark and make it to the airport? Ellen

Cruising out of Galveston is doing nothing but gaining in popularity. Carnvail started, tehy now have two ships year round. RCI came in, sails the Rhapsody year round. RCI Splendor will be doing 4/5 day trips, Celebrity is doing 11 and 12 day trips.

All from two ship piers. Only difficulty is the LEFT turn everyone needs to make to get into the port. (traffic). Once in, it goes as smooth as silk.

You might wnat to try Galveston Limo. They can drop you at your hotel on Friday evening, then meet you at the pier on your return for the trip to the airport.

Hobby is 45 minutes away once you have cleared customs and found your bags. Not too many complaints with clearly security, but remember, you will be boarding with hundreds of other cruisers looking to catch flights

So, plan accordlingly.

PS..I should WARN you, once you sail with a ship load of Texans, you might never want to sail out of any other port! Texans bring extra loads of smiles and friendly on a cruise!

PS..I should WARN you, once you sail with a ship load of Texans, you might never want to sail out of any other port! Texans bring extra loads of smiles and friendly on a cruise!

Truer words were never spoken. :) And along with the extra smiles and such, I bring my own ZiegenBock to share! You might never even leave Texas again, once you've had that. ;)

-gina-

We could use some advise on planning our next cruise and have never been to the Houston / Galveston area. We are also thinking about going on the Grand in March, but would be flying into the Main Airport in Houston. What is the best way to get to Galveston (our plane arrives in the early evening) for 4 or 6 people? If we do this cruise we are thinking about staying for 2 extra days (a little golf for the guys and some shopping for the ladies). Would it be better to spend our time in Houston or Galveston? Our last night would definitely need to be in Houston because our flight leaves at 8:30 a.m. the next morning.

We are open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi Joanne ~

When in March are you thinking of going? We are on the 3/11 sailing.

I ditto what Jim suggested about Galveston Limo. I have heard very good things about them from lots of different people. For other options, you can check here: http://www.galvestoncruises.com/MenuItems.aspx?s=Transportation

I would personally spend time in Galveston rather than Houston, but I think Houston is a hideous horrid place. ;) I just like quirk and charm and a slower pace, and Galveston is such a charming little city to me. But many people would rather have the semi-cosmopolitan feel of a big city, and so time in Houston would be better for them. If you're wanting to do some la-ti-da shopping, there's no better than the Galleria in Houston. If you're wanting more unique and specialized things, then it would be Galveston for you. It really just depends on your own tastes.

I know zilch about golf, but you can read about the different courses in Galveston here:

www.galveston.com/islandgolf/

I know there are a gazillion courses in Houston, too.

The other other thing to consider is when in March you are sailing. If you're going the same or near the same time as we are, that is Spring Break. (My mother is a professor, so we had to go then.) You do NOT want to be near Galveston at Spring Break. Waaaaayy too crowded.

I hope this has helped any at all! :)

-gina-

Hi Joanne,

Getting to Galveston is not a major problem. If you are arriving at Bush, the airport is located north of downtown Houston and is about a 2 hour drive to Galveston. All totaled, the airport is about 75 miles from Galveston. You will need to take I-45S from the airport to Galveston, depending on the time of day you could run into heavy traffic. If you are arriving in the afternoon plan on heavy out bound traffic. When you arrive in the Galveston area, you will cross the causeway into Galveston. After crossing over take the Harborside/Teichman rd. exit to the right. This the first exit after crossing the causeway. There will be a sign with a cruise ship pointing the way. Go to the first stop sign and turn left, this is Harborside dr. it will take you directly to the terminal and the Strand district.

I would suggest arriving the day before your cruise and stay in Galveston. There are several fine hotels, the "Galvez" and "San Luis" are two of the more upscale hotels located on the seawall. The "Tremont" is an upscale hotel located in the Strand district near the cruise terminal. There are many hotel/motels at lower rates located in the area, all are good establishments. Just a note, when the Strand is mentioned that area is located within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

As far as golf is concerned, you do not mention the type of course the men folk would like to play. I think most of the courses in the Galveston area are municipal.

Shopping in the Galveston area is "The Strand" Many shops and some major outlets to pick from.

Staying in Houston the night before your return flight leaves is a good idea, there are many good hotels in the "Greenspoint" area which is close to the airport.

For information on Galveston, go to www.galveston.com

WOW!! Thanks to Danny and Gina for your information and for the links, we will do a little more research. Gina are thinking about going March 25 - when is Spring Break? Is there anyone in the area that has Spring Break during the last week in March?

joanne, I work for Pasadena ISD which is a few miles southeast of Houston. Most of the school districts have their SB's scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd week of March. I think Houston ISD usually has their SB around the 3rd week. I know the school districts in my area, Pasadena, Deer Park, LaPorte, Clear Creek etc. usually schedule their SB's the 2nd week of March.

joanne, I forgot....If you need more specific information, just post up and I will try to help out. I am usually in the Galveston area fishing as my wife and I live in Deer Park, Texas about 40 minutes from Galveston.

There is an area that might interest your group, "The Kemah Boardwalk". This is an entertainment district located in Kemah,Texas north of Galveston on Galveston bay. Its probably a 30 minutes drive. The area consists of restaurants such as Landry's, SaltGrass, Aquirium, Joes and a few others. There are many shops, a midway, and a Hotel.

Hi Joanne:

I see you are doing the Grand next spring. We will be on that cruise here in just a few weeks. The time has flown and I can't believe the cruise is almost here.

We had to do a lot of looking also for the trip for hotels and transportation. We have to fly into Bush airport also. Coming from Seattle Hobby just didn't work at all and luckily Continental has a direct for us.

If I remember right, Laine will be home for Christmas this year. Can't remember if she is still on the Star Princess right now or not.

We originally booked at room at the San Luis, but changed to Moody Gardens for our 2 nights in Galveston. They have a Christmas lights display there we wanted to see so it just made it easier to stay. Something different to do. We are using a limo company out of Houston for our transportation to the hotel and then back from the ship on Christmas Eve to the airport. We are sailing with friends, so we are all riding back together.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Susan

Hulagirl ~ Just had to say that you will *love* the Christmas light display at Moody Gardens... it's so beautiful!! My little boy and I go every year. Have a great time!! As a Princess newbie, I'm looking forward to hearing your experience on the Grand.

As far as Spring Break goes, my Mom (U of H) and my (West TX A&M) Spring Breaks are both the week of March 13-17. My little boy (Pearland ISD) also has Spring Break that week. I just checked, and Houston ISD, the biggie, also has Spring Break that week. You should be fine going March 25th. :)

You know, this might sound silly... but my dream is to open a bed & breakfast just for pre-cruise passengers in Galveston. I'd love to have it all nautical-themed, and have tons of info for the guests to read about all the ports sailed to out of Galveston. Just give them a really nice, relaxing way to start their vacation. Now I just need to win the lottery. :)

-gina-

Gina,

A question or two...JimnKaren are sailing 2/11 and will arrive Friday to stay overnight. Knowing that we will be eating too well for the next week, we were thinking of something simple for Friday night's meal. I have been looking at menus and stuff on line and have narrowed it a bit.

I have had to think hard on this as my wife is on the Weight Watchers program and although it might be difficult to maintain a "point" count, she will make an attempt to continue the program. Are you familiar with and can you make any comments about: Pappa's Pizza; Salsas; or Tortuga Coastal? All are on Seawall.

Jim

Hi Jim!

I'm not familiar with the pizza place, but I have been to Tortuga and Salsa's. They're both good, but I think Salsa's is definitely better. Their fish tacos are soooo good, and they have a really nice big outdoor patio. They get my vote.

Also, for anyone sailing out of Galveston, if you go to http://www.galveston.com/specialoffers/ you can print out coupons for shopping, restaurants and attractions around Galveston. More money for frou-frou drinks on the cruise! :)

-gina-

Thanks Gina. I must say that the galveston.com web site has soooo much information. This will be our first Galveston sailing. We have tried Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, San Francisco, Miami, New Orleans, and Los Angeles (San Pedro). Trying to see how many ports we can sail out of. This will also add a couple of new ports of call for us. I have a Caribbean map on the wall in the bedroom with pushpins for all the places we have been. We have not missed too many of the well-traveled places.

Jim

Gina:

Thanks for the information on Moody Gardens. The Christmas Light display caught my eye many months ago and I knew that we would love going there. For some reason I just hadn't looked at the Moody Gardens hotel at the time. When I did, it looked so nice and that would mean one less cab ride to see the lights. We are flying in 2 days ahead of the cruise and hoping to see a bit of Galveston. The pictures of the lights look absolutely beautiful as well as the grounds. Looking forward to it.

If you have any questions about the Grand, go ahead and ask. This will be our 5th time on the ship and I feel like we know it pretty well. It is a nice ship and easy to get around on. Will be happy to answer any question you may have.

Looking forward to sailing out of Galveston also. Have sailed out of many ports here and abroad, and it is fun trying a new one. Looks like Galveston is really coming into it's own for ships. That is great for the city and their economy. We are in Seattle and during the summer all the ships sailing out of here to Alaska bring a lot of people to the area.

Thanks again for the information on Moody Gardens. Not much longer and we will be there.

Susan

Hi Neighbor, I live in Maltby but work in Mill Creek! We are going on the

Grand April 1st and we will be flying in the day before. I will check Continental for flight info. Thanks for the tip, you have saved me some time looking for flights. :D

Staying in Houston the night before your return flight leaves is a good idea, there are many good hotels in the "Greenspoint" area which is close to the airport.

FYI....I've worked in the Greenspoint area of Houston for 25 years and although there are a couple of nice hotels(a Marriott and a Wyndham) please be advised that this area is not very safe after dark. In fact, it's been called "Gunspoint" for years & years.

Hi Susy,

Small world at times. We used to go to the glass shop (in the old school house) in Maltby all the time and looked at a few houses there. I love the area there. Mill Creek is really getting busy with the new Town Center. It is nice they are finally getting that done. Love the Central Market.

Do check on Continental. They are the only carrier out of Seattle that has direct flights to Houston. Was a bit surprised on the other carriers where we would have had to flown through somewhere, that their prices were quite a bit higher than Continental also.

You will love the Grand. We are sailing on the Sapphire on April 1. That is the Everett's district's spring break.

Susan

FYI....I've worked in the Greenspoint area of Houston for 25 years and although there are a couple of nice hotels(a Marriott and a Wyndham) please be advised that this area is not very safe after dark. In fact, it's been called "Gunspoint" for years & years.

*nod* Or "Gangspoint." They have tried to clean it up for several years, but I still wouldn't stay there on a dare.

Re: Moody Gardens ~ If you have a whole day to spend there, do it and you won't be sorry. Between the amazing Rainforest Pyramid, the Discovery and Aquarium Pyramids, and the awesome IMAX 3-D theatre, there is just so much to see and do.

I do have some questions about the Grand, for you experienced GP sailors.

1.) What is your favorite spot to just sit and bask in the moment on the Grand?

2.) Which is your favorite nightspot?

3.) Any secret tips you want to share? :)

Thanks!!

-gina-

Archived