Debit Cards

babs135

We've always had a Norwich & Peterborough debit card which we've used on holiday because they don't charge fees.

Unfortunately they are now closing these accounts so does anyone know of any other Building Society/Bank that offers the same. Santander offer a credit card which we have, but it is a Debit Card I'm after.

Strange question, since bank accounts come with a debit card. :confused:

Babs mentioned Nationwide, there's no fee or standard chargesn their regular accounts.

But altho they don't charge a foreign transaction fee on their credit cards, they do on their debit cards.

And their debit card is linked to a Nationwide bank account.

(good place to hold an account. Some interest paid and various insurances - travel insurance, breakdown insurance, phone insurance etc -automatically included).

If you're looking at a pre-paid debit card not linked to a bank account (you load it with funds) they're available from a number of sources including the Post Office. But be aware that most cruise lines & car rental agencies and many hotels don't accept pre-paid debit cards. This is because funds can't be "held" from those cards as a returnable deposit.

Is it a bank account that you're looking for?

Or a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees?

Or something else?

JB :)

My debit card is with Norwich and Peterborough NOT Nationwide. When we are abroad we use it mainly to withdraw money as they do not charge a fee, similarly if I use it to purchase goods they don't charge a fee. Suspect one reason for closing these accounts is that so many people use them for holidays abroad and nothing else.

Hence my question re anyone else offering a similar debit card. Don't want a pre-paid card.

Hope this clears up any confusion :)

My debit card is with Norwich and Peterborough NOT Nationwide.

Ooops.

My bad.

I meant "callyuk mentioned Nationwide".

I didn't know that any debit card came without foreign exchange fees, so I can't help.

My Nationwide debit card charges a foreign exchange fee, whether for cash or purchases. Hence I use my N'wide credit card for purchases, & get foreign cash from the usual suspects before I travel.

So Norwich & Peterboro's sounds (sounded :rolleyes:) good - though do they offer the same wholesale exchange rate as other cards?

JB :)