Suggestions for the first time in San Juan

beshears

What is the best way to see old town and forts, can you get a driver at the end of the dock or do you have to book a tour?

We had a group of 6 from ages 59 to 70.

Outside the cruise terminal cabs are line up down the street. We walked down the line just saying hi or chatting a little with different cab drivers standing outside their vans.

When we found one we hit it off with I asked how much it would be for a tour for the 6 of us.

He said $20 each for a 3 hour tour. He took us to the forts and dropped us off and waited for us. Gave us a guided driving tour of OSJ with a running commentary of points of interest and history.

Then drove out of the city to various other spots, asked if we wanted to go to a beach, offered to take us to a good local place for lunch.

It was a great tour.

You might want to change consider buying a senior park pass. It is good for your lifetime and will admit you and another person to any national park.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/10/lifetime-senior-and-access-park-passes-now-available-mail8952

I believe that you can buy it at one of the forts and save the processing fee.

Bob, thanks for this reply. You just put a "bee in my bonnet," with that idea. There is 8 of us, and some may want to do this, and others may not, with the age of 74 to 48. I like the 3 hour tour for $20, good deal to me.