Are we the only dummies who can't put suitcases under the bed?

Sablerose

I keep reading that people stored their suitcases under their bed.

I tried to push our suitcases under the bed and they were too tall.

Now I wonder if I was just trying from the wrong side, or if there's a trick.

Any hints? Or does anyone else just have suitcases that are too tall to go under the bed?

Lay them flat. Don't try to put them under upright, it just doesn't work. :p :p :p

Ha, well ya got me there!

*slams head on desk*

But seriously folks (ba-DUM-bum) we DID lay them flat... they are kind of "tall" when you lay them flat (I'm too lazy to measure)... am I alone in my dumbness?

One of our suitcases was too tall as well, we use to have to stand it up in the closet, until we figured out to leave the suitcase open. That reduced the space it needed by about two inches. We were able to pull the case out like a drawer and stow the dirties as they were manufactured. Saved packing time later.

One of our suitcases was too tall as well, we use to have to stand it up in the closet, until we figured out to leave the suitcase open. That reduced the space it needed by about two inches. We were able to pull the case out like a drawer and stow the dirties as they were manufactured. Saved packing time later.

I also used my biggest suitcase as a dirty clothes hamper. Every couple of days I re-folded those dirty clothes and put the underwear, socks and smaller things in my travel (smart bags) that you take the air out of. I found these were great for smaller items such as underwear, socks and swimsuits that don't need to be wrinkle-free.

All of mine fit under the bed closed but at debarkation I saw some really large ones ( I want one.) that wouldn't have fit.

Our largest rolling suitcase it too big to fit under the bed. Since we'll have the extra square footage in our family stateroom, I will probably just leave it on the floor near the window and use it to put our dirty clothes in. Otherwise it has to go in the closet.

I guess that is something that someone might post to the new cruisers thread. We took 2 large collapsible duffels with wheels that went under the bed nicely. But the bag with the shoes had wheels that were too large to go under the bed. Anyone good at visual measurements that can hazard a guess as to how many inches high the space is under the beds? Again, we put it in the bottom of dh's closet and since all of his shirts, slacks and shorts were short, it fit nicely and we used it for dirty clothes hamper.

sometimes the suitcase won't slide under the bed because the frame gets in the way. If you lift the bed to get the suitcase past the frame, it usually fits.

I really like that laying it open idea. We use our largest for dirty clothes also.

I really like that laying it open idea. We use our largest for dirty clothes also.

That's a good idea even if the suitcase fits when it's closed. I just remember from our last cruise that I was constantly taking it out and opening it just to put the dirty clothes in. This time, I'll leave it open and I'll just have to slide it out a bit to put dirty clothes in it.

OK, you rookies, here's the deal. :D

Take along mesh bags for the dirties. You don't want to be sleeping on them the whole cruise or have them sitting in your nice luggage for a week or more.

If a bag won't fit under the bed, call your room steward and have him store it. You don't want to sacrifice an inch of either floor space or closet space to an empty case. Steward will bring it back the last full day.

I'm going to start packing tomorrow.

Dan

Exactly, a little tip and they disappear. We did'nt learn that until about 20 cruises back. Then it took the RS to ask if we wanted the wife's 2 sea trunks put in storage. He almost got a kiss with the tip. Leaving Sat. on a 14 day cruise[# 46], Barb will take one of the trunks for sure, about 3'X2.5'X2', won't fit anywhere in the room.

Its twoo, its twoo

Dan

I've been posting on the roll call board but I have to chime in here. Maybe it's just too tall to slide under the frame, that's the problem we had.

We couldn't get ours under there either until we tried something, dh lifted the bed a couple of inches, I slid the bag under and then put the bed back down. It fit fine under there but the frame just sat too low to slide it past.

Sailing the Victory 11/20/05

I've been posting on the roll call board but I have to chime in here. Maybe it's just too tall to slide under the frame, that's the problem we had.

We couldn't get ours under there either until we tried something, dh lifted the bed a couple of inches, I slid the bag under and then put the bed back down. It fit fine under there but the frame just sat too low to slide it past.

Sailing the Victory 11/20/05

Our bags fit under the beds if you lift them up. Our rolling garmet bags we put in opened..

I used a fabric softener in my suitcases when I store them and also in my dirty laundry hampers while traveling and at home. really hleps with the workout clothes..:)

Archived