Gosling rum

doones2

I have been wondering if it would be cheaper to purchase the Gosling Rum at their store in Hamilton or on the cruise. I cant remember the price on the cruise but it seemed like a good price at the time.

We got ours at the duty free shop right as you get off the ship. They have it sent to the ship to be held, then it was delivered to our room on the last night of the cruise. Worked out well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We bought from their store in Hamilton. They took care of delivery to the ship. It was very convenient, but to be honest, the prices weren't really much different than the ship, or our shops back home for that matter. Their distillery is not in Bermuda anyway - but they do blending and bottling there for the local market. The rest of the production for the US market is done in Kentucky, I think. It is yummy though.

Other than the novelty of buying it on the island, I don't see any real advantage to where you get it. The few dollars you save isn't worth lugging it off the ship. I would just buy it back home. Just my opinion based upon a small sample. YMMV.

Edited by Ohio_Bob

We also went to their store in Hamilton but as you mentioned the prices are about the same. I still have about a shot left from the bottle we actually got in Bermuda, although we have gone through several bottles since then that we've gotten locally I guess we're saving that last shot for the memories, lol. I did notice that the labeling is a little different on the bottles bought here vs the one we got on the island.

We got ours at the duty free shop right as you get off the ship. They have it sent to the ship to be held, then it was delivered to our room on the last night of the cruise. Worked out well.

Just for information since there are two docks that ships use, that duty free shop is in the Heritage Wharf terminal. There is no duty free shop in the Kings Wharf terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found some interesting info from a Fortune magazine article:

"Black Seal claims an ancient Bermuda lineage, but it's complicated. Generations of Goslings have indeed been blending rum in Bermuda since the middle of the 19th century. But only blending. The raw material, rum distillate, comes from Barbados, Jamaica, and Trinidad -- Caribbean islands where sugar cane grows. (Bermuda doesn't have enough arable land for a cane crop, and the climate's not right.) The distillate arrives at 9 Dundonald St. in Hamilton in stainless-steel tanks, where it is aged and blended according to an old family recipe. The portion destined for the local market stays behind. The rest goes back in the tanks, journeys by sea to Port Elizabeth, N.J., and thence by rail to Bardstown, Ky., where it is diluted, bottled, and cased for shipment coast to coast."

http://fortune.com/2011/04/15/goslings-rum-promoting-the-spirit-of-bermuda/