Skagway help - have car rented but no passports

cruzincon

Our group of 6 has a van rented in Skagway and we were planning on doing the drive to Emerald Lake however only 2 of the 6 have passports. We will be 4 adults and 2 older teens. Any recommendations on other drives without crossing the border? or other suggestions for a group on a budget? We would be interested in local hikes but prefer to get out of the city. TIA

How about having those of driving age, get an Enhanced DL (EDL) & those not of driving age get Enhanced non-Driving ID's (ENDID) they are only $30 over the cost of the license.

In comparison a passport is $165.

(We got our 2 year old son a passport - peace of mind on Caribbean cruises & convenience at the airport/cruise terminal & we have since renewed it.)

With that said, it's a good thing that you asked, our passports were checked in both directions.

We were driven into the Yukon & given the chance I'd do it again.

So I can't make a recommendation for Skagway with a car. The town is small enough to handle without one.

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

There are some great hikes in the area. I have a post about it at https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/02/04/exploring-skagway/

I would also suggest getting passports for those who do not have them. Unless you are doing a roundtrip Seattle cruise (closed loop), a passport will be required to board. You have plenty of time to get them if you apply now. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately CA does not offer enhanced DL otherwise I would do that. I do not want to get passports for the kids a this point because they are so close to 18 they would expire rather quickly and getting my husband to travel out of the U.S. with the kids right now is not likely so I don't think the expense for them is worth it right now. My husband and I have done the Yukon drive before so not that upsetting to me to not do it this time. Just looking for other options that everyone will be happy with. I will check out the links above and see if some hikes interest us.