Old Lahaina Luau Transportation

sally4909

Hi, A group of six of us will be on the Radiance of the Seas in September and have booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Most people say to take a taxi to the luau. Does anyone have suggestions for a particular company and know what the cost would be for a round trip? Is the cost per person, or per cab? I I talk to one cab company and was told it would be about $10 per cab each way for all of us. They would not take a reservation but said they line up about 6 cabs at the port and it's a first come, first served type of service. This might work just fine but I knew if I talked to other Cruisecritic members who have already gone from the port to the luau, I might find other suggestions.Thanks, Sally:)

Hi, A group of six of us will be on the Radiance of the Seas in September and have booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Most people say to take a taxi to the luau. Does anyone have suggestions for a particular company and know what the cost would be for a round trip? Is the cost per person, or per cab? I I talk to one cab company and was told it would be about $10 per cab each way for all of us. They would not take a reservation but said they line up about 6 cabs at the port and it's a first come, first served type of service. This might work just fine but I knew if I talked to other Cruisecritic members who have already gone from the port to the luau, I might find other suggestions.Thanks, Sally:)

Are you docking in Kahului which is about a 45 minute drive each way to the OLL?

We drive our car so rarely use a cab but here's a link to one cab company that states you can make a reservation. It shows about $70 each way for up to 6 passengers which is about $12/pp.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

You could also check Speedi Shuttle which shows pier pick ups & we use them when returning to Maui. I didn't call them but checking their website it shows $71 one-way for 6 passengers.

http://www.speedishuttle.com/

Have you considered renting a van?

Edited by Astro Flyer

The ship will be will be anchoring off Lahaina, which means the tender will dock only a little over a mile from the luau. A taxi is the easiest option. How hard it is to get a taxi will depend of course upon how many people from the ship are going to luau, but taxis are regulated here and the cost should be the same for every taxi (read: not negotiable).

We will be docking in Lahaina, not far from the Old Hawaiian Luau. I'm guessing maybe 10 minutes from the port.

My apologies for misreading your post that it was $10 for all of you which had to be from the Lahaina Harbor. :o

As Silver said it's a short distance & it's understandable to me why cab companies might not take reservations. As she said it's just over a mile which is easily walkable for me although it'll be hot in September & I'd at least take a cab to the OLL. If you walk along the Front Street shops you'd be about halfway to the OLL.

Thanks for all the information. It does sound like $10, or so, may be correct for all of us. Understandable why the taxi cab companies don't want to take a reservation for such a short ride. I don't mind a mile walk but coming back from the luau would be after dark and I can't say that I would want to do the walk then. Here's hoping that the cab company will be at the port waiting, as they have said.

Sorry if I have missed someone already posting this but...Uber operates on Maui and is a good option. A van that holds six for $10 seems like a good price. And, I think that the walk back to the ship through town after the luau would actually be very nice. JMO, Cherie

And, I think that the walk back to the ship through town after the luau would actually be very nice. JMO, Cherie

Walking through town (which we take to mean the shops and waterfront along Front Street) might be fine, but there is that portion of Front Street from the Cannery to where the shops begin that is not the best place for a stroll after dark. You might consider walking to luau in the afternoon and taking a taxi back to the tender at night.