First time cruiser considering MSC Vs. RCI

Danny61231

Hey everyone,

I have posted before and I'm still trying to figure out what cruise is right for my wife and I. Neither of us have ever sailed before and at the time of the cruise we will be 33 and 29. Neither of us are big partiers or drinkers (which from what I heard knocks Carnival out of our decision making) and we are really just looking to relax, be entertained, have good food, and have a nice ship to check out. We have been thinking about booking one of the following cruises:

6 day cruise in a royal promenade room on RCI Freedom of the Seas in January 2018 going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya.

7 day cruise in an interior room on MSC Seaside in February 2018 (ship is supposed to start sailing Dec 2017) going to Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Nassau.

What I'm wondering is would MSC be a decent first cruise line to try? What are the pros and cons of MSC Vs. RCI and also what are the pros Vs. cons of sailing on such a new ship? Honestly, I just found out about the MSC Seaside last night and was impressed with the pictures I was seeing so considering this ship is something really new for me. I have read that MSC offers some really good drink packages as well as internet prices - does anyone know what those costs are? Also, the $49 per person down payment is something enticing as well. Is MSC the same as other cruise lines where if I book it and decide to cancel I still get all of my money back?

I'm really interested to hear what people think about these options for me and any information you can provide about my choices. I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions, Dan

Don't discount Carnival...they are NOT the "party line" that they used to advertise! They are family friendly and you can be as laid-back as you want...pretty much the same as on every line! And, on EVERY line 3-4 day cruises will have their share of "partiers"...but longer cruises tend NOT to have the "frat house" vibe!

All that said, a cruise is a cruise! I think you need to decide if you want more ports, or more "ship time"...and choose accordingly. I haven't sailed MSC, but if you go to their board on this site, there will be those to help you with the details of cancellation, cabin size, drink packages, etc....

RCI offers packages for almost everything, but unless you drink more than 5-7 drinks per person per day, you're better off just buying drinks as you want them...you don't NEED a package to get anything. Drinks included in your fare are Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast. That's pretty much the same on ALL the mainstream cruise lines.

I can't think of any "con" for sailing a new ship, unless this is the 1st sailing....sometimes, all the "bugs" aren't worked out of a brand new sailing, but within a month, all will be good!

I've been on both lines. I would go on the MSC ship hands down because it is the newest and honestly, I prefer ships that are 5 years old and newer. The Seaside is supposed to be state of the art. By February they should have worked out most if not all of the kinks. The cabins will be crisp and clean and the facilities onboard will be new and the crew will be used to working on the ship. Also, this is a 7 day cruise with 4 ports which I like better than a 6 day cruise on an older ship with 3 ports. I think everything about this is a win. MSC has beautiful ships that are elegantly appointed. The stateroom will be lovely. The shows should be amazing - they were on the Divina! Here's the information on the drinks packages:

MSC Seaside is showing you can get free WIFI and a free drinks package right now:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Top-Deals/MSC-Seaside-Sale.aspx

I would book that, it's an awesome deal!

Now about refunds. All cruise lines operate on a sliding scale. So you put a certain amount down. Don't pay anything else until it is time for the next payment (if there is one) or for the Final Payment and on that day, you actually pay off your cruise. Once the Final Payment date has come and gone basically you will loose all of your money if you must cancel UNLESS you buy cruise insurance. The best place to buy cruise insurance from insuremytrip.com as it is about 1/2 of what a cruiseline's cruise insurance costs. So, call them and talk to the about the various policies. The most expensive are "Cancel for any reason" and then there is "Cancel if someone dies or is hospitalized." The cruise insurance also covers medical evacuation and medical expenses should you be hurt or get sick on your cruise. If you should miss your ship, it covers those expenses as well. Now...if you are VERY healthy, and not much of a risk taker where it is highly unlikely you would get hurt, and if something happened where you couldn't go on the cruise and you would loose your $1200 and it is OK, then maybe there is no reason to buy insurance. So weigh carefully whether or not you need to buy insurance and how much it costs.

The other thing to keep in mind: it is cheaper to make your own flight arrangements. It is always smart to arrive in the port of embarkation 24 hours in advance of your cruise and spend the night in a hotel so you don't miss your ship. Book a flight home around noon on disembarkation day.

Thanks for all of the information so far. I'm really considering putting a down payment on the MSC cruise but I think I will go to the MSC board first and ask some questions first. Also, I was really excited when the previous poster mentioned the WIFI and drinks package included in the price but upon checking, that's only for balcony cabins. Thanks again, Dan

Totally agree about choosing MSC with a minor caution: MSC is an Italian cruise line and offers a slightly "different" experience from the US based companies. This difference is neither good nor bad, but should be taken into account if you decide from this experience that you don't like cruising or have some concerns with how your cruise went. Research the MSC board on here where you'll find opinions from experienced cruisers which may explain what I am bumblingly trying to. And I would pick the Seaside in a heartbeat as my experience on Divina was one of my best cruises thus far! MSC provides a fantastic product.

Thanks for all of the information so far. I'm really considering putting a down payment on the MSC cruise but I think I will go to the MSC board first and ask some questions first. Also, I was really excited when the previous poster mentioned the WIFI and drinks package included in the price but upon checking, that's only for balcony cabins. Thanks again, Dan

Well, as I'm sure you noticed today, the packages have changed and now what is available is 2 for the price of one.

I'm not even gonna lie. I'm the kinda of cruiser that starts drinking at breakfast and doesn't stop until I fall asleep (Hopefully in my cabin). I always buy the drink packages because of the amount I drink, it makes sense. Our next cruise on 4/22 will be my first without the drink package. With that being said, Carnival's food and entertainment are great. I cant compare it to any other cruise line because I have only cruised Carnival, but I wouldn't discount Carnival because of the "party cruise" stigma.

I do have a buddy of mine who cruises WAY MORE than I do, and he is not at all a partier or drinker. When he isn't cruising Carnival, He cruises MSC. Maybe one day I'll branch out and try another cruise line.