Panama canal train tour

Cheryl Q

Been to the Canal 7-8 times and done something different each time. I've done the train and didn't think it was worth it. There is a lot of vegetation and trees along the side of the Canal between the tracks and the Canal so that you get only glimpses. Only one side of the train really gets to see much because the people seated on the side closest to the Canal are so busy taking photos that they block the window. The boxed lunch was kind of lame but that's subjective. We took the bus back to Colon and that was the best part. We saw howling monkeys and also stopped at the observation deck for the Canal to watch the ship's go through.

The boat/ferry trip through the Canal is a much better tour and worth the cost. You see so much more and there's commentary throughout the trip.

Last November, I took the tour that viewed the new locks. Really enjoyed that.

Been to the Canal 7-8 times and done something different each time. I've done the train and didn't think it was worth it. There is a lot of vegetation and trees along the side of the Canal between the tracks and the Canal so that you get only glimpses. Only one side of the train really gets to see much because the people seated on the side closest to the Canal are so busy taking photos that they block the window. The boxed lunch was kind of lame but that's subjective. We took the bus back to Colon and that was the best part. We saw howling monkeys and also stopped at the observation deck for the Canal to watch the ship's go through.

The boat/ferry trip through the Canal is a much better tour and worth the cost. You see so much more and there's commentary throughout the trip.

Last November, I took the tour that viewed the new locks. Really enjoyed that.

Pam, did you book the boat/ferry trip through the canal yourself (independent vendor) or Princess? Just curious. Starting to plan for next years cruise [emoji4]

Thanks

Jenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the canal once...a partial, last December. We opted to stay on the boat, and boy were we glad. Even when full, the Coral never seems crowded. More than 50% of the passengers went on excursions, and they all came back looking hungry and exhausted.

We had the entire ship to ourselves, and no crowds when we re-entered the canal to dock in Colon.

I took the HOHO bus last month when in Fuerte Amador. Booked it independently. It was great. Got off at the old town to walk around then took another HOHO bus to the Miraflores Locks. Spent a lot of time there - almost 3 hours - to go through the museum, see the film and watch ships go through the locks. As we were watching one of the ships going through the locks, one of the ship tours announced that it was leaving. I would have been VERY disappointed if I were on that tour and they made us leave right as a ship was entering the locks. So glad that I booked it independently. Was definitely well worth it and prepared us for what we were to experience ourselves the next day going through the locks. The HOHO bus for independents picked us up right near the place where the tenders dropped us off.

Pam, did you book the boat/ferry trip through the canal yourself (independent vendor) or Princess? Just curious. Starting to plan for next years cruise
Booked through Princess. I often book independent tours but in Panama, have booked only ship's tours. If you're on a partial Panama Canal cruise, ship's tours are your only option as they are the only ones allowed to disembark in Gatun Lake.

Booked through Princess. I often book independent tours but in Panama, have booked only ship's tours. If you're on a partial Panama Canal cruise, ship's tours are your only option as they are the only ones allowed to disembark in Gatun Lake.

Thank you Pam! I had no idea about partial transit and Princess only tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk