Ship time ?

BBQluver

Leaving on my first cruise in April. I see references to ship time and to be sure and set your watch to ship time. Is the ship time based upon local time, or is it based upon the time at the port of departure? Our port of departure will be on central daylight time, but the ports of call will be on eastern daylight time.

Just wondering why a reminder was being mentioned to be aware of the ship time when in port.

:confused:

Yes you will remain in the timezone of the port of departure in this case central, reminders are set as the time in port will be different so looking at a clock in a bar could confuse you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

Basically just don't change time from the time you leave until the time you get back. Also, if you take your phone off of airplane mode while you're in the port, it'll change to the local time. You can avoid that by changing your phone settings from "use network time" or whatever to central time zone

Actually when on a cruise with 3 or more port days that will have the same local time the captain has the discretion to adjust ship's time to the prevalent local time. IF this is done remainders will be published in the FunTimes (the printed daily activity sheet) and the crew and staff will make several announcements. General if the captain decides to switch time it will be done the night before a seaday as to not impact sleep before arriving in port.

Leaving on my first cruise in April. I see references to ship time and to be sure and set your watch to ship time. Is the ship time based upon local time, or is it based upon the time at the port of departure? Our port of departure will be on central daylight time, but the ports of call will be on eastern daylight time.

Just wondering why a reminder was being mentioned to be aware of the ship time when in port.

:confused:

As mentioned by many, you usually stay on the time of the port where you left. If you have an iPhone, go to privacy->location services->system service->turn off setting time zone so your phone time will not change even if you take off airplane mode to connect to a local cell service