Children left on ship while at port

Ddrose

The ship, knowing that the parents are not back on board are going to stay as long as possible and do their best to find said parents. They don't want the children left alone either. Can it happen, sure. Chances of your child being left alone to suffer through a whole night without you. Not so much.

This is a really odd attitude... leave your kids on board as insurance the cruise line won't leave without you??? Sure, if you are on a cruise line excursion that's already written into their policy. If you are exploring on your own, not so much. I really hope sailaway isn't delayed because you decided to stop for an extra drink on the way back to the ship since there's no way they'd leave without you... [emoji849]

Also, agree with the other posters... the ship will do everything it can to wait for a late excursion; but thinking they won't ever leave is a mistake. If there's a major road closure or if you need a ferry off the mainland (like Cozumel) that's shut down for weather... things happen where they have no choice but to leave and they get you to the next port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a really odd attitude... leave your kids on board as insurance the cruise line won't leave without you??? Sure, if you are on a cruise line excursion that's already written into their policy. If you are exploring on your own, not so much. I really hope sailaway isn't delayed because you decided to stop for an extra drink on the way back to the ship since there's no way they'd leave without you... [emoji849].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Either you misunderstood what I said or I said it poorly. I can't count the number of cruises I have been on where we left exactly on time. Sometimes only a minutes sometimes longer. As a passenger I don't know what the reason is and it is none of my business. I mean, let's face it, how many of us on these boards love to watch the "walk of shame" as people stagger drunkenly on board. Or perhaps you just wanted to take my comment out of context.

What I meant was if the parents weren't back on time there is a slight chance that the cruise line would be looking for them. No, I can't see them waiting an hour but there is a chance they might wait 10 or 20 minutes. I've certainly seen that happen. When we did a Med cruise we must have waited over 2 hours for someone to get back on the ship. We were facing port side and could see officers with binoculars searching in hopes of seeing the missing people. They were pacing back and forth in the terminal, so yes, it does happen. Do I recommend it, no. Do I think they might wait a bit knowing parents of a 3 YO hadn't boarded, possible.

For the record the only time I've been late was on the same cruise as above when one couple held up the entire tour while they spent over 2-1/2 hours buying a rug in Tunisia. Very selfish of them as we now missed our belly dancers and the only shopping we got was the equivalent of a swap meet store. On top of that we were so late that the port was closed, officers were waiting rushing us back to board and yelling for us to get our passport out so we could leave.