Grand Princess Alaska - Dining

ama

We are a party of 7 (2 seniors, 3 adults, and 2 kids). By the time we booked our cruise, early traditional dining was full, so we selected anytime instead. We've done both before in the past, and I know I can make a "reservation" each morning for anytime. However, my past experience on our Panama Canal cruise was we couldn't make any reservations anyways during "prime" hours even when we called early each morning. And without a reservation, we'd have to wait for dinner. So ironically I would call each morning and essentially make a reservation for the same time as early traditional dining!

Does anyone know if we can make a "standing" reservation each night with Anytime dining? We do end up eating at the same time each night and have a large party. Should I try on the first day to get us switched to early traditional dining?

Has anyone that's sailed Grand Princess have any insight on this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though early traditional was full, you still could have linked your bookings and been put on the waiting list for 6:00--which would go a long way towards either being switched in after you board or being able to get a standing reservation in ATD.

But the best thing to do is still see the Maitre d' during inquiry hours on embarkation day. Needing a single large table will take at least a day but you still could be switched to traditional. Or likely you can make that standing reservation for either very soon after the ATD dining room opens or after 7:30-7:45. (As a group of 7 you will likely be put at a table for 6 with an extra place setting squeezed in). But if there are any late port days on your itinerary you may still just want to try to pick the time each morning.

We are a party of 7 (2 seniors, 3 adults, and 2 kids). By the time we booked our cruise, early traditional dining was full, so we selected anytime instead. We've done both before in the past, and I know I can make a "reservation" each morning for anytime. However, my past experience on our Panama Canal cruise was we couldn't make any reservations anyways during "prime" hours even when we called early each morning. And without a reservation, we'd have to wait for dinner. So ironically I would call each morning and essentially make a reservation for the same time as early traditional dining!

Does anyone know if we can make a "standing" reservation each night with Anytime dining? We do end up eating at the same time each night and have a large party. Should I try on the first day to get us switched to early traditional dining?

Has anyone that's sailed Grand Princess have any insight on this? Thanks!

It could change every cruise so what one experienced may not be on your cruise.

I would see the MD on embarkation day at the time/place listed in the Patter.

When I booked my cruise to Alaska for this May I was put on a waitlist for TD at #126, I am now confirmed with TD at 6:00. Yeah. Even if they say TD is full always add your booking to the TD waitlist. I thought for sure we were doomed for ATD and was surprised how quickly we became confirmed. We booked the first of January 2017 and everyday I would check online and would discover we were inching closer to TD then this past Tuesday we were confirmed.

My wife and I sailed on the Grand this past May to Alaska and did Anytime Dining. We never made a reservation and usually went to dinner between 6-7. We never had to wait for a shared table and they usually had a 20 minute wait for a table for 2. Of course I don't know what would have happened if we showed up with 7 in our party but we were very happy with ATD.

We sailed on the Grand a few months ago and had 4 in our party. We loved the maitre'd, our waiter and assistant waiter (Michael, Jimmy and Shakir) so much that they saved the table for us every night for 6:30. I am sure there will be no problem making a standing reservation, especially if you like to go to dinner a little earlier than that. I found the staff on the Grand to be amazing at making sure their passengers are happy, happy, happy!!