Nyc half marathon on march 19 street closures

Budski54

On the ROLL CALL for the March 19 Breakaway, someone posted about the NYC Half Marathon taking place on the morning of March 19. The marathon map shows the route, which will definitely affect access to the Manhattan terminal.

Are there any NYC residents who know if the streets on the marathon route are TOTALLY CLOSED, or does the NYPD occasionally allow traffic to cross the marathon route?

If you do express/self or priority disembark early, access to Lincoln Center might be blocked or restricted - the runners do start out early.

Are you driving home to PA - using the GWB by going north up the Henry Hudson Pkwy and then cross into NJ to go west would be a wise choice.

Question was asked last year again, but apparently - not a major problem ... If you aren't in a hurry to get home, relax & enjoy the ship, go eat a big breakfast in the MDR first - let the crowds ahead go first.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313021&highlight=NYC+Half+Marathon

If you do express/self or priority disembark early, access to Lincoln Center might be blocked or restricted - the runners do start out early.

Are you driving home to PA - using the GWB by going north up the Henry Hudson Pkwy and then cross into NJ to go west would be a wise choice.

Question was asked last year again, but apparently - not a major problem ... If you aren't in a hurry to get home, relax & enjoy the ship, go eat a big breakfast in the MDR first - let the crowds ahead go first.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313021&highlight=NYC+Half+Marathon

Thanks for all of the information, but I will be embarking on the day of the marathon.

... but I will be embarking on the day of the marathon.

Simple, follow directions previously posted in East Coast departure forum - use G.W. Bridge approach to get to the M.C.T. - assuming you are driving yourself, allow a little extra time getting there.

Will the marathon have any affect on embarkation times?
Short answer is no, not that we/I am aware of ... majority of the runners will be done by mid/late morning in that area, NYPD & traffic will gradually ease the roadblocks and re-open some of the streets & gradually, the rest of the blocks and cross-streets closure.

P.S. I highly recommend use Waze to help navigate, best to have your partner/spouse/others act as the co-navigator to check on latest traffic as the driver concentrate on the road ahead.

Not a NY person but am a regular half-marathoner - looks like the race is set to start at 7:30. Many of the racers will be done approx 9:30, and most likely the course will start closing down by 11:30.... if concerned this may just be a day to go a little later to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather also going to be a problem that day. Keep an eye on the weather reports. Lots of snow due this week and some next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too early to say that weather will be a problem next Sunday.

As for the predicted snow Monday into Tuesday - that will NOT be a problem for Sunday - arrivals or departures.

Let's stay optimistic - and not worry about something until and unless there actually is something to worry about :)

Agreed. Just want people to be aware of potential problem and monitor weather for next weekend. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the replies.

A few weeks ago I booked a parking space at the Silver Towers garage which is located between 41st and 42nd Streets near 11th Ave. I planned to come out of the Lincoln tunnel, turn onto 41st Street to the garage, then catch a cab/Uber to the terminal.

Now with the marathon taking place, I am concerned about the exit from the Lincoln tunnel being a complete mess, or the Lincoln tunnel being closed.

Now I am considering parking in a garage either on 43rd Street, or on 57th street, and using the George Washington bridge, insteadof the Lincoln tunnel. Before I do that, does anyone know if the Lincoln tunnel will be closed, or if the exit will be a complete Mess?

We usually like to be at the terminal before 11am, and hopefully be on board for lunch.

Thanks for all of the replies.

A few weeks ago I booked a parking space at the Silver Towers garage which is located between 41st and 42nd Streets near 11th Ave. I planned to come out of the Lincoln tunnel, turn onto 41st Street to the garage, then catch a cab/Uber to the terminal.

Now with the marathon taking place, I am concerned about the exit from the Lincoln tunnel being a complete mess, or the Lincoln tunnel being closed.

Now I am considering parking in a garage either on 43rd Street, or on 57th street, and using the George Washington bridge, insteadof the Lincoln tunnel. Before I do that, does anyone know if the Lincoln tunnel will be closed, or if the exit will be a complete Mess?

We usually like to be at the terminal before 11am, and hopefully be on board for lunch.

UPDATE:

Thanks to all who replied. Since my main concern is to get to the terminal by 11am, I decided to cancel my garage reservation at the 42nd Street garage due to the closing of 42nd Street for the Half Marathon. Instead I booked at a garage on 57th street and will drive into NYC via the George Washington bridge. Hopefully this will help me avoid the street closures and traffic congestion expected from the Half Marathon.