Australia-New Zeland

Cal Cruiser

Has any one on the board taken this cruise?

I have been thinking of taking this cruise but I would like to know if others liked it? The length of the flight has my wife concered. So I wold like to know how the cruise was.

Thanks

Absolutely one of our all time favorites.

Great weather. Great people. Great places to see.

But your wife is right...the flight is a killer.

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand

Sky Princess 03/2000 China

Royal Princess 02/2002 South America

Golden Princess 05/2003 Med

Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030

We have done Australian Cruises three times now. They are fantastic.

I do agree with your wife though, the flights are not that great, unless you can upgrade to business class. We usually fly economy because of the $$$ involved but arrive a few days early to rest up from the flight. Not much else I can say about it except last time we got a perscription for Ambien from the doctor so that we could sleep most of the way, it really helped ease the pain.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Agree with the others....We flew Qantas Bus. Cl. and flight still was a "Killer" --but worth it ! The cruise was great on the Star - 14 days - Sydney to Auckland. - Go for it!! - take Ambien and sleep the way over...

Until Pacific Princess

Islands of the Pacific Theater

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0900

Until Golden Princess Western European Capitals

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;07;31;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until Golden Princess British Isles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;08;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Yes - a long flight, but Australia/New Zealand really worth it, my opinion.

Get a pre-cruise hotel to catch up on your sleep and adjust your body clock.

Post-cruise hotel at other end is great also, if you have the time.

Michael

Took the Star around Oz/NZ this past January, and it was fabulous.

People are warm and friendly, very chatty. When the folks in Sydney found out we were from California, they were completely tickled by the fact that Arnuld is our Governor. This amused them no end.

We didn't spend any extra time in Auckland, so I can't speak about that, but we did spend 3 days in Syndey pre-cruise, and it was a blast. We did so much stuff, a number of tours (including Behind the Scenes at the Taronga Zoo), did the Harbor Bridge Climb (expensive, but worth it), toured the Opera House, shopped at QVB (Queen Victoria Building).

Only disappointing thing was a very expensive dinner at Guillaume (restaurant at Opera House). Extremely pricey, lousy service.

We used ff miles to go Business Class, and it was great. Can't imagine how it would be in Coach Class. Would I let that stop me? No way, especially if you can get some meds to knock you out.

The time difference is so great between Cal and Oz, that it's close to an entire day. Point being, we suffered very little jet lag. We were tired the first night in Syndey primarily because we hadn't slept much on the plane, and we did a lot that first day.

T

Sheesh, let me try this again....

The cruise itself was great, with a few exceptions.

This was our first time on Princess (14 other cruises), and we'd expected a bigger WOW factor.

The Star is beautiful, and so well-designed that you don't have the sense of being on such an enormous ship. Until you get to the Horizon Court. What a mess. People could not get out of their own way.

Our cabin choice (A619) was a poor one. I know better, that's the kicker. From now on, only cabins on a deck between two other passenger decks for me.

The three days at sea (actually, 2 days at sea and a 3rd day cruising the Fjordlands) were looooong. The Fjordlands are beautiful, but after a while, the scenery looks the same.

The way the evening shows were scheduled was ridiculous. We did traditional, late seating, and missed a full 1/3 of the shows. These non-repeating shows were scheduled at 8:15pm; our dinner was at 8:30pm. When a fellow, equally frustrated, passenger asked the CD about it, the CD's response was, "Eat earlier". What a loser.

The ports were fabulous, saw a lot of unique and unexpected things. We took about 20 pictures each of koala bears! At a couple of the animal sanctuaries we went to, there are kangaroos just laying around, waiting for you to pet them!! You could see the legs of joeys hanging out of the pouches of some of them.

I absolutely fell in love with Sydney. If anyone ever has the pleasure of a pre-cruise stay there, we stayed at the Four Seasons near Circular Quay, and the location was just perfect. An easy walk to Opera House, Harbor Bridge, The Rocks, all the ferries (you have to take a ferry to the zoo, to Manly Beach, etc.). The only thing we didn't make it to (ran out of time) was Darling Harbour. Supposed to be a nice area with lots of nice shops, restaurants, bars.

Hope that helps, and if you can talk your wife into dealing with the flight, you won't be sorry, I promise you.

T

We also had a wonderful time. Be aware that if you don't add on a stay in Sydney, the entire cruise is basically New Zealand (except for Melbourne)and New Zealand is well worth it! The key to the long flight is getting an aisle seat (even if it means sitting far away from your mate). I was stuck in the middle with DH on the aisle and it was a nightmare. icon_frown.gif (DH wouldn't switch because he's too "tall".) To top it off the light above my seat was broken so I couldn't even read. That's a lot of hours to be bored to tears. I don't recall any jet lag coming from LA and we landed at 9:30 AM. I guess I must have slept enough on the plane. icon_wink.gif I'd do the cruise again in a minute!

Grand Princess Transatlantic - August 27, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Thanks to all for your experiences. We are booked on the Sapphire Princess Australia to New Zealand Jan. 18 - 30, 2005.

Prior to this, we have a 6 day cruise tour which has 2 days in Sydney, then 2 days in Uluru or Ayers Rock, then 2 days in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef and then fly again to Sydney for the actual cruise.

We live in Toronto so are even 3 hours worse than California passengers. Not looking forward to the flight and we lose a whole day flying over. We leave the 10th (I think) and lose the 11th and arrive on the 12 of Jan./05.

Any info on tours in Melbourne and Hobart would be much appreciated.

Johanna

Hi Everyone on this board,

I will jump in here as I will be hanging around for the next 6 weeks. I am an Aussie. Flights - we travel from Aust to the US approx 3 times per year and have done so for the last 15 years so I feel like a bit of an expert on this horrendous leg.

This is how we do it - we are lucky enough to be able to use our miles to upgrade to Biz on UA. After 15 years you would think so. We pay the next level above the cheapest economy fare and it only uses 15,000 miles, round trip is 14,700 miles for us so it sort of balances out. Close enough. We always try to book the bubble rows 14 - just behind the door. This way it is easy to move about the cabin with out having to climb all over your mate. We change out of our flying clothes in to jammies, (trackies or something really comfy) first thing, prior to takeoff. We have a bloody mary on board, dinner with a glass of wine, then watch the movie, cup of tea, by this time exhausted and sleep for about 7 hours. Wake up for breakfast, watch whatever is on and 1 hr prior to landing, take over a bathroom, washdown, redo face, put back on Flying clothes, fresh and clean undies and attack the day. It always works for us. From this point we have to hike to Virgin for the last leg home. Tough but bearable.

Now for the guys who fly economy, and this is me, cannot afford to pay for business if no upgrades are avail. Book as early as possible. Get as close to the front as possible, get a window and aisle, and start praying. With the window and aisle it leaves the most unattractive seat on the flight - centre of 3. If you are lucky you will have one spare. If you are travelling in non-peak times, go for aisles in the centre, and leave the 2 in the middle. Also unattractive seats. If you are unlucky, you can always switch to sit next to your mate.

This is for 2 psgrs of course, more, well what can I say, but hang in there, it is a long way but well worth the effort. We are generally a happy bunch, as you will see from the aussies who post to this board. I am sure that I speak for them, please feel to ask away if any info needed.

Regards,

Michelene.

An absolutely wonderful cruise. We were on the Regal which is a smaller ship than the Island. We spent two days in Auckland prior to the cruise and five days in Sydney after the cruise. We enjoyed everything except the flight, but the that discomfort was negated by the enjoyment of everything else. We went on last year's New Years cruise and had planned to go to the Barrier Reef and Ayers Rock. We changed our plans when we found that it was very warm in that area. We spent the extra time in Sydney. We loved this cruise and plan to do it again when time allows.

For those of you planning way ahead like me, I think the Diamond Princess will be taking over from the Sapphire and doing 12-day Australia/NZ starting January 8, 2006. That sailing will be preceded by an 19-day Singapore to Sydney Asia/Australia cruise departing on December 20, 2005 (Christmas and New Year's onboard). Hopefully I can be on both of those!

[This message was edited by A.Emgee on 06-05-04 at 02:16 AM.]

Great cruise: My back was just getting better and I got off ship and into flying coffin for 25 hour flight home. My do it again nest spring if my back says go. This one is worth it.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004

Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002,

Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997

1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

We did this cruise a year ago aboard the Regal Princess and loved this cruise!!! New Zealand was great, the people were extremely friendly and helpful. I haven't heard anyone mention Hobart, Tasmania. This was my favorite port!! The flight is a killer, but I took a Simply Sleep and slept most of the way, its the only way to do it!!!!

Our family of 5 are doing the 14 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland on Dec. 20th. We can't wait. Like everyone else we aren't looking forward to the flight. We have booked our seats on our flights including bulkheads and aisle seats. We are taking a four day trip up to the Great BArrier with the kids and spending a couple of extra days in Auckland after the cruise. I know it is going to be here before we know it.

<We also had a wonderful time. Be aware that if you don't add on a stay in Sydney, the entire cruise is basically New Zealand [except for Melbourne)and New Zealand is well worth it!>

Our 14-day cruise included Melbourne, as stated above, but also Adelaide and Tasmania.

T

Hi Johanna!I live in Tasmania,only to pleased to help with any info on Tassie or Melbourne ! What iterests do you have?My wife & I are having our 25th wedding anniversary on Sapphire Princess from L.A to Sydney (first cruise!)You will love Australia

Johanna

Tassie Devil: I like your screen name.

Thanks for the offer. We like touring and seeing interesting sites. We will be married 45 years in November so Jan. is not an anniversary.

We will only be in those locations for a day and have to be back on board about 5:30 p.m.

We are intersted in just about everything including nice scenery and the local transport if that is suitable for our needs and if there are any hop-on, hop-off buses such as they have in a lot of European cities.

We have never been to Australia or New Zealand so we are really looking forward to it. The Sapphire had the best route for us. We wanted to do the 14 day one in December but it was booked and they were only taking wait listings.

It also included Adelaide. Still, we would rather be home for Christmas with our family.

Thanks for your offer.

Johanna

Kia Ora, A. Emgee,

I am not a Kiwi; howver, I am sorry, for you that you will miss the Port of Wellington. My favourite Tour was in this Port on the 8 Dec. Star Princess sailing. We hired Jason to do the Lord of the Rings all-day Tour and it was just fabulous seeing all the spots where Middle Earth was photographed.

The Kiwis certainly know how to entertain us. Tauranga is also good because you can take an excursion to my Favourite Place of all, Rotorua and Taupo, where they have the Geysers and the Bubbling Mud Pots, like Yellowsone Park. I took the Zorb ride (rolling down a grassy hill in a plastic ball - Great Fun). We took a Tour there and stayed over night at the Regal Geyserland Hotel, out of Auckland and stayed in the North Island for one week to see the Bay of Isles and Coromandel Peninsula Before embarkation.

Cooler than Australia, I would go back for 2 weeks on land and rent a camper to drive around. That is very easy to do, and safe.

I stayed in Oz for 10 days post-cruise and saw Ayers Rock, Darwin & the Rainforest, Cairns, and Lots of Sydney.

You will Love this Itinerary.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Archived