Norwegian Getaway - Baltic route

Vacation_on

For those of you who traveled the NCL Baltic route, can you get off in St. Petersburg on your own? We've seen several options for tours:1) Book a tour directly through NCL

2) Book a tour with a 3rd party

Also, I would like to know if it's possible to wander around on our own. We may be interested in doing a tour but if possible, we may want to visit on our own afterwards. Is that possible (assume we would need a personal travel visa)?

I will appreciate any info regarding this so we can finish planning our trip. Going Summer.

For those of you who traveled the NCL Baltic route, can you get off in St. Petersburg on your own? We've seen several options for tours:1) Book a tour directly through NCL

2) Book a tour with a 3rd party

Also, I would like to know if it's possible to wander around on our own. We may be interested in doing a tour but if possible, we may want to visit on our own afterwards. Is that possible (assume we would need a personal travel visa)?

I will appreciate any info regarding this so we can finish planning our trip. Going Summer.

You must obtain a VISA to enter Russia. If you book with a tour company they look after that for you. Understand getting your own visa is complicated and expensive. Would recommend a tour.

If it's your first visit, and you want to see some of the sights that are outside of the city (Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, etc.) I would really recommend a guided tour that will take care of your transportation and your tourist visa. Several companies offer 1- and 2-day tours designed for cruise ship guests, and they are expensive, but generally excellent, and if you figure in the cost of the visa that you won't have to pay for, and the transportation that you won't have to figure out on your own, they are good value. You can book similar visa-included excursions through the ship. They tend to cost more, but if you have OBC to spend, or some kind of excursion credit/discount, they may be worth a look, too.

If you go through a tour company or the ship, your visa will not allow you to wander around the city on your own. Your tour may include a limited amount of free time, but technically you have to be under the supervision of a guide the whole time. If you only book a 1-day tour, your visa is not valid for going into the city on your own in the evening, or the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the July 27, 17 Baltic cruise on the Getaway. Already booked a 2 day guided tour with Shore Trips for St. Petersburg. We have been to Europe many times on our own, but apparently even if you pay the cost of your own visa ($350 USD per person I have been told) it is still difficult to navigate the City on your own due to language barriers and the fact that most people are not friendly or welcoming to tourists. I picked up Rick Steve's Northern European Cruises guidebook and he has extensive information if you do decide to go into St. Petersburg on your own. His video on St. Petersburg was very good as well.

We're on the 6/3/17 Getaway Baltic cruise, and have booked a two-day tour with SPB tours, as it's our first time in St. Petersburg. My husband actually can read the Cyrillic alphabet (Eastern European background) but we chose the tour, despite the fact we generally far prefer to explore on our own.

The visa is expensive (moreso if you use an agency to obtain it for you) and we have heard too much about tourists having their pockets picked; even in a group you have to be very careful. We just weren't comfortable with what we've heard and want our St. Petersburg experience to be memorable, but for the right reasons. There are several top-notch tour companies in St. Petersburg (SPB, Alla, others) and they receive excellent reviews. Good luck with your choice!

We will be on the July 27, 17 Baltic cruise on the Getaway. Already booked a 2 day guided tour with Shore Trips for St. Petersburg. We have been to Europe many times on our own, but apparently even if you pay the cost of your own visa ($350 USD per person I have been told) it is still difficult to navigate the City on your own due to language barriers and the fact that most people are not friendly or welcoming to tourists. I picked up Rick Steve's Northern European Cruises guidebook and he has extensive information if you do decide to go into St. Petersburg on your own. His video on St. Petersburg was very good as well.

Rosaleen, see you there! That's our booking date on 7/27. We decided to book the 2-day tour in St. Petersburg but chose from the ones offered by NCL. Other than Berlin, I haven't visited any of the stops. Booked 4 tours and still reviewing to be sure it is what we want.

Husband was wanting to maybe see about doing a night show or a ballet after the first day of the tour in St. Petersburg, but as it appears it may be difficult and expensive. The reasonable person in me thinks, we may be tired after the first day and it will be a good idea to come in and enjoy the boat and call it early to be ready for the second day of St. Petersburg.

Rosaleen, see you there! That's our booking date on 7/27. We decided to book the 2-day tour in St. Petersburg but chose from the ones offered by NCL. Other than Berlin, I haven't visited any of the stops. Booked 4 tours and still reviewing to be sure it is what we want.

Husband was wanting to maybe see about doing a night show or a ballet after the first day of the tour in St. Petersburg, but as it appears it may be difficult and expensive. The reasonable person in me thinks, we may be tired after the first day and it will be a good idea to come in and enjoy the boat and call it early to be ready for the second day of St. Petersburg.

Yes I was thinking the same! Was going to stay in st. Petersburg the first evening but decided to go back to the ship.....will be an amazing tour and don't want to be tired the next day either! We found the NCL tours were more than double the cost of the other tours but you may more peace of mind. We actually just got our visas through the travel company last week! See you there!!!

One factor to take account of for the evening in St Petersburg is that, in previous years, a Russian group came onboard and did a show in the theatre. We went to it last year on the Star and it was a really fun show.

Obviously, with the Getaway doing the itinerary next year, some things are likely to change, so there is no guarantee that this will continue, but it's worth keeping in mind.

One factor to take account of for the evening in St Petersburg is that, in previous years, a Russian group came onboard and did a show in the theatre. We went to it last year on the Star and it was a really fun show.

Obviously, with the Getaway doing the itinerary next year, some things are likely to change, so there is no guarantee that this will continue, but it's worth keeping in mind.

KeithJenner, thanks for the tip!!! I hope they have that again, would be a huge treat. Will watch the itinerary on the ship.

How was the weather when you went? We are going at the end of July. Just wondering what to pack.

Thank you!

How was the weather when you went? We are going at the end of July. Just wondering what to pack.

Thank you!

We went in August last year, although I have previously been in June, when the weather was unseasonably warm.

Overall, the weather was good. Scanning through the photos, we were generally wearing t shirts, sometimes with a light jacket. We did sit by the pool occasionally, whilst our son swan (although the water was too cold for me). From memory, that was very peasant.

It should be fairly similar in July, but it can vary quite a bit in this area, so be prepared for it to be a bit chilly at times.

we booked thru TJ Travel. https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/ We did the 2 day tour that included the Faberge. We saw much more and of better quality (i.e., small group) that the NCL ship tours saw. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND TJ. We also did a tour in Tallin with them. YOu send your passport info to them in advance, and they handle the visa. the visa they obtain for you allows you to tour as long as you are accompanied by a licensed guide the entire time. i would not attempt to tour here on my own, because the "real" visa is expensive to get and a much more lengthy process. also the city is HUGE. the tour guides understand the traffic patterns and how long it takes to get from here to there.

Thanks, Keith!