Bidding/Upsell after booked on Escape - when/how?

LSKC

We've booked (direct through NCL) for Escape early Jan 2018. I have been reading and trying to understand how upselling/bidding on better catagory cabins work? I'm assuming its at a better price than if you just book originally. My questions are:

1) how long after you book do they offer you the chance to bid (I'd love 2 adjoining balconies as opposed to the 2 adjoining interiors we currently have for our family of 5 ---3 kids)?

2) is the offer to bid sent through email? do they wait until right before you cruise?

3) has anyone figured out what a reasonable bid is and if it really offered considerable savings?

Thanks,

Leslie

We've booked (direct through NCL) for Escape early Jan 2018. I have been reading and trying to understand how upselling/bidding on better catagory cabins work? I'm assuming its at a better price than if you just book originally. My questions are:

1) how long after you book do they offer you the chance to bid (I'd love 2 adjoining balconies as opposed to the 2 adjoining interiors we currently have for our family of 5 ---3 kids)?

2) is the offer to bid sent through email? do they wait until right before you cruise?

3) has anyone figured out what a reasonable bid is and if it really offered considerable savings?

Thanks,

Leslie

On the Escape, the upsell offers go out via email and messages on your MyNCL page 80 days before sail. Not everyone gets one, so there is no guarantee that you will even get a chance to bid. When you do bid, you cannot make any requests about the cabins, so there is no guarantee that you will get adjoining cabins (in fact, it is more likely that you will not get them). If that is important to you, either give the upsell process a pass or book what you want upfront. Based on all I have read, it seems like many people are able to upgrade into balconies for a considerable savings. Some people have gotten good deals on Haven suites, but there are more considerations for those upgrades, since booking The Haven direct gives you quite a few benefits that you don't get with an upsell.

We received an email 80 days before trip. We cruise in June so I got my email last week.

I placed a bid slightly above the starting price. I plan to wait it out and see if accepted or the posted price drops before adjusting my bid price. You have the ability to modify your bid up to 48 hours before departure.

We booked adjoining interiors on Escape for spring break this year (departing april 8th) and we received the email to bid on an upsell at exactly 80 days out. We were only offered the option to bid on Oceanview or Balcony. We only bid for balcony, as the oceanview wasn't much of an upgrade for us.

We just got notification that we were given the upsell yesterday. From our 2 deck 8 interiors, we were upgraded to a deck 11 BF and a deck 13 BE. We bid $200 total per room. We're very very happy with our upsell, BUT not only are they not adjoining, they're not even on the same deck as you can see. It's fine for us as we're two separate parties.

I WOULD NOT bid on an upsell if it is important to keep adjoining rooms.

You get a splash screen on your MyNCL logon exactly 80 days before cruise. This replaces the emails during the pilot.

Upgrades are usually done 3ish days before cruise unless the have enough rooms to satisfy all requests. You are automatically charged and your room is switched. There is not an option for special requests like adjoining rooms. And 3 days before cruise will be hard to move rooms around.

The system gives you a slider bar with minimum and maximum bids. It also tells you if your bid is poor, fair, good, excellent. You decide who much you want to bid.

In the example below, bidding for a Havens room was $500 per person minimum (poor) to $2000 per person (excellent) from a spa balcony.

49ab36938ee4fde6d6369018c6a2c6af.jpg

cdd11db37e2bfdc7169d114fd6e96576.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

• 1 month later...