white shrug, black shoes?

I have no idea if I want to hear the answer... but .. I know I don't want to look like the usual fasion night mare that I can be. I have asked friends but know some of the ppl here are well versed. Now, keep in mind, I'll wear white in the winter, and other things "we're not supposed to do". I won't wear hose with open toed shoes though! I have my limits I guess. :p But I'm not a slave to the "Perfect Fasion" rules.

But I cannot decide if this looks right. I have a red velvet dress. Spagetti straps, comes to about the knee. I have a beautiful angora white shrug that clips with one jewel clip in the center. So far it's a pretty picture together, right? Ok, throw in nude hose and black shoes? Yay or Nay?

Problem: I don't want to purchase, nor wear white shoes! (I really don't) I'd rather change the wrap. Girlfriend says wear red shoes. I say no way, I'll never match reds. She says buy shoes that are darker than dress and it's fine. However, I'd never wear them again!

So final picture is this.. red velvet dress sort of form fitting to the knee, nude colored legs (or no hose even) closed toe black heels, and a white shrug... that mind you, may or may not even stay on all evening.

If this works, I would wear this to a pre-cruise party I'm invited to, as well as dinner on board. (CCL in January)

A million thank yous to the experts of this board!

IMHO, White shoes are NEVER a choice. Especially with a wintery outfit or a formal type outfit (unless your a bride wearing a white gown ;) ). I think red would be a good choice, but agree it's very hard to match reds and they then have limited wear. The black should be a great alternative. The question is how delicate are they? It sounds like a very pretty dress and love the shrug, but I think the shoes should be a very simple shoe with a thin heel. Having not seen the dress it's hard to say, but the shoe should be an understatement, not a bold one so don't go with anything too elaborate. A nice pump with a slightly pointed toe and thin heel (nothing too chuncky) The nude hose is also appropriate.

If you absolutely don't want to buy new shoes, go with the black. I've never heard of matching a coverup to shoes??? Shrug sounds lovely BTW.

Red shoes would be too matchy-matchy.

White shoes, you really need to be careful because white shoes always run the risk of looking; nurse-ish, bridey, or plain cheap.

If you want to use this as an excuse for new shoes, go with a gold or silver. You will get a lot of wear out of metallic!

I think that the red velvet with the angora shrug would look best with silver strappy shoes. The silver would also tie into the jewel clip on the shrug. Even if you take the shrug off, the silver shoe would look good.

Now, if you were not wearing the shrug at all, I would say go with a really cute black velvet shoe. Maybe one with a peek-a-boo toe (I do not know what the real name is for these shoes...Jane would know!;) )

Maybe even some black sheer hose or black fishnets. I don't know, I am just trying to picture this ensemble.

I think the red and black would look really well together. The white does throw it off a bit. Like I said, go with a silver shoe or a black velvet one.

This is just my .02 worth! Good luck!:D

One of my personal pet peeves is black shoes with everything. :( Now that you understand my personal prejudice . . .

One of these things has to go. You can wear two of these things but not all three: white shrug, red velvet dress & black shoes. At an absolute minimum, take the shrug off if anybody points a camera in your direction. :rolleyes:

I'd vote for silver shoes. You'll be surprised at how much you will wear them. Since white is a summer color white shoes with a winter fabric like velvet does not work at all IMO. If you really want to wear the black shoes, can you get a dark wrap?

Sometimes it is hard to get a visual with a description only. But, I think I'd ditch the black, closed toe shoe, it sounds a bit heavy for a dress with spaghetti straps. Instead, I'd go for a metallic shoe, perhaps a pewter, silver or gold burnished leather.

I'm also having a difficult time with the angora shrug, is it really dressy enough for the velvet?

You're right about not wanting white shoes, too Minnie Mouse looking, except I think Minnies shoes are yellow!

Okay, not much on the fashion expert, but I can picture this. The dress is fine. Black shoes or sandals okay. I just don't see the shrug with the red and black. I am guessing a shrug is a stole or wrap?

May I ask when you are cruising? Is it a holiday thing? Only reason why i ask is because you can throw holiday colors in there.

Might I also suggest you get a multi-colored wrap? Like a Tartan plaid.

Thanks to all who gave advice. I knew I didn't want white shoes, something about that seemed wrong.;)

To the poster who asked if the shrug is dressy enough - I do believe it is, and to the poster who said black velvet shoes - I agree.

As another poster suggested, I tried on simple spike heel type black velvet pumps with the dress and shrug. My husband simply said "Wow"... so now it's a done deal:)

(Though I admit I have strappy silver sandles and the cutest black sling backs with closed toe that have he tinest rhinestone on them, that would really tie in well..oh decisions!)

Especially since it seems that the opinion is the 3 colors together would work, according to most of you.

The poster who said take the shrug off for pictures. At first I thought "humph":rolleyes: , but given how flattering the curvy dress is, shrug on would be a shame, really.

I appreciate all the good advice, Ladies, thanks!

TexasFyre:

I am cruising CCL in January. The shrug (sort of a short sweater, with a rounded edge to it, that comes to just below the breast, long sleeves) is a sort of wrap, yes. I tried to describe, hope that helps. (also try ebay and look up shrugs..they have tons).

My dilema is the shoes and dress do work fine. Black and red = fine. The shrug and dress are really stunning together. However... do black, white and red go together? Well, if it was a multi colored -oh say- bathing suit or sweater we were talking about, it sounds fine, the 3 colors together. But seperate it into 3 pieces and I got stuck. I'm not one to fuss about no white in winter -after all the shrug is winter material, like many sweaters. I just know when something looks strange to me, (like white shoes) but I just couldn't decide how my outfit looked, so I asked here.

As I already posted, husband's looks of approval sold me. I know he is NO fastion expert, but I feel good in it, and he agrees, so we're set... I think....:rolleyes:

Hey...wear what you like, and more so with the husband! ;)

In my days the Shrug was called a "bolero jacket" so that is why I was confused. And yes, As I said, I an by no means a dress expert. I concider Scooby doo t-shirts and sweats perfect for most anything. (Except formal nights) ;)

I love the sound of your look. To pull it all together with the black shoes..why not find a brooch or clip with black and rhinestones! It would tie it all together. (My friends call me the accessory Queen!)

Archived