How long to refund deposit back to my credit card?

wtang

I just cancelled a booking for an August 2017 sailing date. Since it's more than 90 days out, my TA said I will receive a full refund of my deposit from Norwegian back to my credit card. Does anyone know how long it will take for the refund to show up on my credit card? My TA said 10 business days, but a quick Google reveals some folks are saying it takes 4-6 weeks to receive refunds from cancelled shore excursions. I know a cruise deposit is not the same as a shore excursion, but I sure hope it won't take 4-6 weeks to receive my deposit refunded.

There are a number of things that can make it longer than the week to 10 days it usually takes a vendor to refund your card. They issue the refund, and their merchant account debits their account immediately. Then your bank will consider the refund request. This can be a source of delays depending on your issuing bank and the amount of the credit, their policies for handling refunds, etc. The company I work for has had occasions where large credits to customers took 3 weeks for the issuing bank to accept the credit and apply it to the cardholder's account.

It's frustrating when the charge shows up almost immediately, but the credit takes a couple of weeks. When we cancelled a fully refundable cruise in 2015 it only took about 4 - 5 days for it to show up, but the amount was small compared to our credit limit on that card, and our band passed it through immediately.

FYI, just to follow up and provide closure for this thread. My deposit was just refunded to my credit card today, Thursday. My TA cancelled my booking last Friday. So I guess it took 6 days (or 4 business days) for Norwegian to process my refund.

FYI, just to follow up and provide closure for this thread. My deposit was just refunded to my credit card today, Thursday. My TA cancelled my booking last Friday. So I guess it took 6 days (or 4 business days) for Norwegian to process my refund.

They may have processed your refund the same day. It can take your bank three or four days to apply the credit to your account.