Government employee discounts

Canadianmama3

Thanks Bret, I printed that out and attached it to my email.

Oddly they include in "civil service" employees of Fed Ex and DHL! Hardly government employees at all.

UPS also. My DS has used it at least five times now.

He is told to show badge at check- in but has only been asked once.

We just found out about this as well. I had called in to ask if the status match could be applied to a booking we made a month ago and if we could be a repeat booking discount for a second cruise we want to do next year, but want to book now to get the suite we want. The rep said the only discounts they have are loyalty, military, and civil servant. I asked who qualifies for civil servant? He said government employees and teachers. I was like yes please as I am a college educator. I just had to email a copy of my faculty ID and right away we got 10% off both bookings. I am so excited. He did say they only do it above a certain price point and that balconies and suites qualified. Now I just hope we enjoy MSC. I have cruised on Disney, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival. Listed in the order of preference.

Can you confirm what country you have to be employed in to receive a discount? I am unsure if being a teacher in Scotland would entitle me to a discount.

The rep I spoke to never asked for a country and MSC is a European company and I am from the US. So I don't think it matters. Just call and ask for it. Can't hurt.

Thanks. I sail in 2 weeks so won't get the discount this time however great to know for the future. First time with MSC and hope that I enjoy it so much I will want to sail with them again. Have always sailed on smaller ships from Thomson and years ago on Ocean Village. Any other tips on sailing with MSC greatly appreciated!

Thanks. I sail in 2 weeks so won't get the discount this time however great to know for the future. First time with MSC and hope that I enjoy it so much I will want to sail with them again. Have always sailed on smaller ships from Thomson and years ago on Ocean Village. Any other tips on sailing with MSC greatly appreciated!

Why does sailing in 2 weeks mean you won't get the discount this time?

The rep I spoke to never asked for a country and MSC is a European company and I am from the US. So I don't think it matters. Just call and ask for it. Can't hurt.

Thanks stan_ee :)

Because it's after final payment and no more adjustments can be made to the price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. I have only sailed on Carnival and the fare I booked allowed adjustments past the final payment if I remember correctly so that thought didn't cross my mind.

My husband I both worked for the Canadian federal government as project officers. I called and asked our agent at MSC about getting the civil service discount of 10% and he said we had to be teachers or firemen etc. and that civil servants like us did not get the discount.

He suggested I send him some proof of our employment and he would double check that his info was correct. I will do that and post the answer here when I receive it.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband I both worked for the Canadian federal government as project officers. I called and asked our agent at MSC about getting the civil service discount of 10% and he said we had to be teachers or firemen etc. and that civil servants like us did not get the discount.

He suggested I send him some proof of our employment and he would double check that his info was correct. I will do that and post the answer here when I receive it.

I also work for the Canadian federal government and received both the 5% returning customer discount (after status match) and the 10% civil service discount. I had to be persistent with he TA who initially was not aware of these discounts. Persistency and fact gathering may be key in getting this combination of discounts. MSC call centre was spectular is assisting me with the TA.

I also work for the Canadian federal government and received both the 5% returning customer discount (after status match) and the 10% civil service discount. I had to be persistent with he TA who initially was not aware of these discounts. Persistency and fact gathering may be key in getting this combination of discounts. MSC call centre was spectular is assisting me with the TA.

Thank you for your post. It gives me hope!!! We are both retired now but I will look for some documentation that I could send MSC as proof of our previous employment. Getting 10% discount on our cruise would be great (on top of the 5% discount for Black status.)

Our TA is with MSC but does not seem to know the regulations so we will persist.

I also work for the Canadian federal government and received both the 5% returning customer discount (after status match) and the 10% civil service discount.

I wouldn't let everyone know you got both. :o Per the Civil Service Terms & Conditions:

Interior and Ocean View discounts are 5% and Balcony discounts are 10%. Government fees and taxes (GFT) per person for all sailing guests are additional. A discount of up to 10% (MSC Club discount not combinable) is applicable to all retired and active U.S. & Canadian Military personnel, spouses, parents, parents-in-law and dependent children, all retired and active Military personnel, including U.S. Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard, Army Reserve and Department of Defense personnel as well as to all Government employees such as: Teachers, Police Officers, Firefighters, and employees of Federal Express, DHL Worldwide Express and United Parcel Service (UPS).

Should management become aware of the "double-dipping", the person at MSC could get written up and you could have one of the discounts removed from your booking. MSC has been known not to honor things in writing if it was in error. You should be fine but please don't tell everyone your case is the norm because it is not. You are supposed to get the Club or Civil Service, whichever is higher.

Now of course if you are friends with a supervisor..... ;)

Bret

I wouldn't let everyone know you got both. :o Per the Civil Service Terms & Conditions:

Interior and Ocean View discounts are 5% and Balcony discounts are 10%. Government fees and taxes (GFT) per person for all sailing guests are additional. A discount of up to 10% (MSC Club discount not combinable) is applicable to all retired and active U.S. & Canadian Military personnel, spouses, parents, parents-in-law and dependent children, all retired and active Military personnel, including U.S. Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard, Army Reserve and Department of Defense personnel as well as to all Government employees such as: Teachers, Police Officers, Firefighters, and employees of Federal Express, DHL Worldwide Express and United Parcel Service (UPS).

Should management become aware of the "double-dipping", the person at MSC could get written up and you could have one of the discounts removed from your booking. MSC has been known not to honor things in writing if it was in error. You should be fine but please don't tell everyone your case is the norm because it is not. You are supposed to get the Club or Civil Service, whichever is higher.

Now of course if you are friends with a supervisor..... ;)

Bret

Thanks Bret. I was not aware of the rule about double dipping. In fact, if we are eligible for the government discount of 10% then I would happily give up the 5% discount for the "black" status. Don't want to be too greedy.

Wendy

Does anyone know if they offer an Interline discount? Thanks

I realize this post is from April, but you can find MSC cruises on the Dargal . com & VTG websites. They will give interline and military discounts.