Bad review of Hyatt 66

rocks

Hi!

I just read a bad review (moldy, dirty, hurricane damage, old, ect.) about someone that stayed there last week. They had a 'Lanai' room.

I have a reservation at the Marriott Beach Tower (their vacation club) for Dec. 2nd. When Wilma came along & closed the Marriott, I booked a back-up room at the Hyatt 66 but in the Tower.

Wondering if the Tower rooms are nicer then the Lanai rooms. I couldn't stand a moldy room! I know the Marriott has re-opened, but figured that they would be in worse shape being so close to the ocean. I was leaning towards the Hyatt even though it cost a little more. I can cancel either of them within 72 hours.

Anyone know which would be my better choice?

THANKS in advance!

rocks

Me again...

I just looked closer at my confirmation...I have a Garden/Marina room. Says it is located in a 2 story building with a view of garden or marina.

Wonder if this is the same building as the lanai rooms?

rocks

I think the garden rooms are the lanai rooms. I have stayed there only once and we upgraded our priceline room to the tower for $40 more. The tower room was extra nice with a lovely bathroom, great bed and a fantastic view of the ocean, port, and waterway.

Since they are presently doing construction work there, I have opted not to bid this year. You just know where they are going to put the priceline guests, don't you?

Don't know for sure but I would think that the 2 story building is what they are referring to as the lanai rooms. I stayed in the tower about 8 mo. ago and found that to be very nice. My stay was via a priceline bid($90?) and they said that priceline bids are for the garden rooms but upgraded me to the tower for $40?. I was wanting the "view" so I never looked at the garden rooms. Overall I was well pleased with the property. Sometimes I think people pay what I feel like is overly high rates for some hotels and then afterwards feel like they didn't get their monies worth so they tend to blast the property, that's why I wished every review included the price paid.

We book the Hyatt Pier 66 (via Priceline) for weekend getaways and have stayed there at least half a dozen times over the past three years. I've yet to encounter the conditions noted in the anonymous review that rocks is referring to.

When we check-in we specifically request the "Lanai" rooms as we prefer to be located near the gardens by the pool. We were stuck with the tower once and while the view was nice the room IMHO was not as nice as the Lanai rooms.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to another future weekend stay in Feb 06. I'm looking forward to the completed pool renovations and the other modification as well.

Rocks, I have a 2 bedroom suite reserved at Beach Place for the Air Sea Show and it's a fine hotel once you get past the street noise from the bars below and the thin walls inside. ;)

Like Bequia, I have never encountered the type of poor conditions that some reviewers have described in the lanai rooms. They are my rooms of choice when I have stayed at this hotel. Be aware, however, that a few of the rooms have no veranda or patio. Be very specific at check in and request a room with a veranda or patio. I have prefered one that overlooks the gardens.

That said, however, now that that area is undergoing renovations, I do not know what it will be like. Also, be aware that the Pier Top Lounge is closed and not open to the public.

I wrote a letter of "concern" about the changes to the hotel to the new owners and to the Pier 66's General Manager. I received a nice reply from the new owner's management company(I posted their reply on this Board several weeks ago; a search should help you find it), but have been disappointed that I have not heard from the Hotel directly.

My next stay in Fort Lauderdale will probably not be at Pier 66. (I will make a visit and check it out, though, just to see what changes have been made for a possible future visit.)

Thanks everyone for the replies!

The review I'm talking about is on the Holland America board "Westerdam E.Caribb.-experience & photos" posted by Sheebah. It is currently on the first page.

I have always wanted to stay at the Hyatt but just couldn't justify the cost (it was always just 1 day pre-cruise) We got a special deal from Holland America this year. We sail on the Zuiderdam 12/3 for 7 days & then they will put us up at the Hyatt for 12/10 & come get us on 12/11 to sail on the Westerdam. We booked this months ago. Soon after the Hyatt started on their renovations, we got a notice from our TA that Holland America had so many complaints about noise (& no pool) they switched us to the Hollywood Beach Marriott. After Wilma & the Beach Tower & many other hotels closed, I paniced & made a back-up reservation at the Hyatt. I figured we would be there Sat. & most likely not be too much work going on & after being on the ship, we wouldn't mind not having a pool. The Beach Tower just opened this Mon. so they must have had pretty much damage. So...I just about had my mind set to go all out & stay at the beautiful Hyatt - then I read Sheebahs' review! She said she paid about $200.00-which is what it would cost me. The thought of paying that much for a moldy & dirty room would make me pretty upset.

Bequia, are you staying at the Beach Tower for this yrs. boat show? When exactly is that anyway?

Thanks for all the great advice you so kindly give!

rocks

Bequia, are you staying at the Beach Tower for this yrs. boat show? When exactly is that anyway?

Thanks for all the great advice you so kindly give!

rocks

Rocks, no, I'll be at Marriotts Beach Place for the Air Sea Show. http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=FLLBP

show photos

http://diamond-back.com/photos/airsea/airsea05a.html

and lets say the price was the same (Hyatt is actually $50.00 more but having a clean and non-moldy room much more important to me) which hotel would you choose?

I tend to think the Hyatt would keep to a higher standard then Marriott (but never stayed at a bad Marriott-I've always thought their standard was excellent too) but with the unfortunate devastation from Wilma, I'm very confused.

I would really like to know which one you guys would choose.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH for ALL your help!

rocks

Well if you do a search for on here for the Hyatt Pier 66 there was a post (I think within the last month) from someone who had just gotten back from there and had stayed in one of the garden/lanai rooms that had just been remodeled, and they absolutely loved it! They said it was all new furniture, beds, marble bathroom, flat screen tv, etc.

I didn't read the "moldy" review, but don't ever let one bad (or good) review turn you off of a hotel, look at what the majority of them say and average them out. There are a lot of people who blow things all out of proportion, or if one little thing goes wrong then EVERYTHING is wrong with a place. The hotel IS in the middle of a major remodeling project though, and I know they started with the garden/lanai rooms first. If staying at a hotel under construction bothers you, then stay elsewhere, otherwise I'd just ask for a newly remodeled room.

I don't know what damage was done to Marriott Beach Place, but there was certainly no VISIBLE damage on the exterior, and the shops & restaurants at Beach Place were open a few days after Wilma, even before the beach was reopened to non-residents. If you wanted to stay there I wouldn't concern myself about there being any problem there. Wilma came from the west, the only additonal problem on the beach was the sand that was moved onto the street, but that's all been put back on the beach where it belongs.

We stayed in one of the new garden lanai rooms on Oct 29 - very nice, new, room - but not worth the $285 it cost - however - The Hyatt was about the only place in town with power after Wilma. We stayed again on Nov6 (priceline - $90 + tax) - we were upgraded to a tower room (10th floor) also a nice room with a nice view.

They were far from completion on the remodeling. Would we stay again - yes - but not ay $285.

Ron

Archived