Msc splendida

Caterina50

Hi I am cruising the MSC Splendida in July. Will be visiting Palermo, Cagliari, Palma de Mallorca, Valenica, Marseille, Genoa. Any suggestions what to visit or if we should be taking excursions with the ship.

All comments are more than welcome. Thank you kindly.

We're going on same cruise in June. So far, planning walk to main church sights in Palermo, not sure bout Cagliari as visited before, Mallorca possible ship tour to caves and pearl factory, Valencia probably walk around city centre, Marseille possible ship tour to Aix or Avignon, Genoa possible city centre walk or tour to Portofino. Much research to do in meantime. I will report back if that's any use to you. Ken

Just got off of Splendida a few days ago. Marseille is a dump. I was shocked how dumpy the place was. We actually saw a dead rat on a window ledge of a restaurant. We spent a night in Aix en Provence and loved it. I would definitely do that instead of Marseille. Palermo was a pleasant surprise. We took the "Little Train" which was a hour long and dropped you off somewhere if you wanted and picked you up later. Im not sure what the drop off point was, but it looked nice. We just stayed on the "train". The tour was supposed to be $10 a person but we convinced them to let our 2 11 year olds to ride for free. After the train ride I walded around the area by the port and ate in a small pizza place and shopped a little. The ship was nice, not as busy as the Divina. It was odd for me that the main meal in the buffet seemed to be lunch and not dinner. They had better and more choices at lunch.

Hi I am cruising the MSC Splendida in July. Will be visiting Palermo, Cagliari, Palma de Mallorca, Valenica, Marseille, Genoa. Any suggestions what to visit or if we should be taking excursions with the ship.

Palma

THE cathedral is spectacular and about a 30 minute walk from the docks if you have no mobility issues

Valencia

L'Oceanogràfic is a great place to go , especially if you have kids

it is very difficult to walk to ( DIY excursions) and MSC run trips which just take you there and back with no tour guide inside

here is a link https://www.oceanografic.org/en/

Marseille

the Noddy train from the old port to the cathedral is worth considering and then walk around the old port to the fort on the end  

The MSC shuttle stops close to the old port

Genoa I've already posted a link for you

Pete

They are the same ports we will be visiting in May on the Splendida. While I haven't been to any of them before we have decided not to take any ship excursions but do our own thing.

In Palermo we are taking a taxi to Capuchin Catacombs, a place I have always wanted to visit, then walk back to the port area stopping along the way. In Cagliari we plan to walk up to Il Castello for a good view over the town and a visit to Museo Archeologico****onale (museum) which has free entry. Again more walking in Palma, visiting Cathedral Le Seu and Passeig des Born, a street with shops and cafes, etc. In Valencia we are doing a 'free' walking tour with a local guide taking in the best attractions. You pay the guide at the end of the tour what you think it is worth. We plan to ride the Le Petite train in Marseille up to the Notre Dame Cathedral and also walk around the Old Port. Finally in Genoa more walking around the old town and visit Piazza Raffaele de Ferrari and via Garibaldi. Apparently the HOHO bus stops at the cruise terminal so may be a convenient way to get around.

Plans may change but regardless I'm sure we'll enjoy it all as you will. :D

They are the same ports we will be visiting in May on the Splendida. While I haven't been to any of them before we have decided not to take any ship excursions but do our own thing.

In Palermo we are taking a taxi to Capuchin Catacombs, a place I have always wanted to visit, then walk back to the port area stopping along the way. In Cagliari we plan to walk up to Il Castello for a good view over the town and a visit to Museo Archeologico****onale (museum) which has free entry. Again more walking in Palma, visiting Cathedral Le Seu and Passeig des Born, a street with shops and cafes, etc. In Valencia we are doing a 'free' walking tour with a local guide taking in the best attractions. You pay the guide at the end of the tour what you think it is worth. We plan to ride the Le Petite train in Marseille up to the Notre Dame Cathedral and also walk around the Old Port. Finally in Genoa more walking around the old town and visit Piazza Raffaele de Ferrari and via Garibaldi. Apparently the HOHO bus stops at the cruise terminal so may be a convenient way to get around.

Plans may change but regardless I'm sure we'll enjoy it all as you will. :D

Hi Nimloth

Here is a link to an excellent guide to a walking tour of Genoa, written by a very well travelled cruiser, containing a multitude of really good photos

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/13/one-way-to-do-genoa/

Hope you find it useful,

Pete

Hi Nimloth

Here is a link to an excellent guide to a walking tour of Genoa, written by a very well travelled cruiser, containing a multitude of really good photos

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/13/one-way-to-do-genoa/

Hope you find it useful,

Pete

Thanks Pete, It is a very good Genoa guide and has given me new information which I will use.:)