Duty free question

tlwg04

Hey yall.....cruising on the Magic in May. Itinerary: Amber Cove, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan. Is buying liters of alcohol at the shops really a good deal versus buying at home? What are some things that you like to buy besides alcohol?

Pricing can really vary. Being Canadian, liquor is almost always a better deal for us, but depending on where you're from it may not be as much of a bargain.

The bonus about St. Thomas is your duty-free allowance increases from 1 litre to 5 litres, as long as 1 is made in the Virgin Islands and at least 4 litres are purchased in St. Thomas (which wouldn't apply on the ship)

Just do your homework before leaving to see what watches, jewellery, etc goes for at home/online so you can tell if that "amazing deal" on board or in port really is.

Small hint - that $9,000 watch marked down to $29.95 probably isn't as much of a bargain as they'd like you to believe. :D

everything bad for you is cheap in St. Thomas, cigarettes about $2.50 and a liter of Stoli is about $10. Rum is going to be your best value as it is made in the islands. St. Thomas is by far cheaper than any of your other port with Grand Turk being the most expensive. If you do your homework camera and watches are very inexpensive. We had a specific Citizen watch my wife wanted. We looked in the U.S. jewelery stores, JCPenney and online. The watch was $300-$350 in the states and was $275 in St.Thomas and no tax.

everything bad for you is cheap in St. Thomas, cigarettes about $2.50 and a liter of Stoli is about $10. Rum is going to be your best value as it is made in the islands. St. Thomas is by far cheaper than any of your other port with Grand Turk being the most expensive. If you do your homework camera and watches are very inexpensive. We had a specific Citizen watch my wife wanted. We looked in the U.S. jewelery stores, JCPenney and online. The watch was $300-$350 in the states and was $275 in St.Thomas and no tax.

Good example of doing your homework! More likely to find a bargain on a specific item than shopping blindly.

I agree with the above, doing your homework is key. If you are driving home from the port liquor can be a good deal, especially bottles that you can't buy at home, but if you are flying you have to account for the extra weight and if you go over the allowance the fees could quite easily chew up any savings.

Hey yall.....cruising on the Magic in May. Itinerary: Amber Cove, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan. Is buying liters of alcohol at the shops really a good deal versus buying at home? What are some things that you like to buy besides alcohol?

I have found it to be more troublesome than its worth. Buy at home save the headache of having to lug it around with you. Especially on the islands .

We have always "loaded up" on spirits in St Thomas since it has always been the best prices. But, I am not so sure that it is still,the bargain it once was. Seems like the prices are moving up to just about what the ship price is on the same liquor. Maybe I just need to book another cruise stopping in St T and refresh my thinking! [emoji848][emoji485][emoji907]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The prices are usually better than what I can get in NC. I agree with everyone else that said to make sure you shop ahead of time.

One thing to note, most bottles sold in the islands and on the ship are 1 litter, where as the ones you buy at home are .75 litters. So if the price is the same, then you are actually saving money because you get more.

Two things though, as a primarily only bourbon drinker, the islands and the ship rarely have good deals. They also have very limited selection. Second, with the new changes to liquor delivery policies where I have to go pick it up on debarkation day I just dont feel it is as good a deal anymore. That basically means I have to repack my bags after sending them through customs.

Yes doing your home work is key. And while figuring out if the savings is great enough on the individual bottle don't forget to check Customs and the return port's tariffs, duty, and sin tax that might be added on. Like in Baltimore there is a 3% Sin tax to all alcohol and tobacco after 1L or 1 carton of cigarettes, even when bought in the USVIs.

Also some ports, like Galveston, may have limits beyond the amount Customs allow you to import in. In TX you need to prove you will be leaving the state within 24 hours to bring more than 1 liter back with you though the port. Otherwise Customs on behalf of the State confiscate additional bottles.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

The prices are usually better than what I can get in NC. I agree with everyone else that said to make sure you shop ahead of time.

One thing to note, most bottles sold in the islands and on the ship are 1 litter, where as the ones you buy at home are .75 litters. So if the price is the same, then you are actually saving money because you get more.

Two things though, as a primarily only bourbon drinker, the islands and the ship rarely have good deals. They also have very limited selection. Second, with the new changes to liquor delivery policies where I have to go pick it up on debarkation day I just dont feel it is as good a deal anymore. That basically means I have to repack my bags after sending them through customs.

They changed that policy for cruise longer than 5 days and they now deliver it to the cabin the night before as they used to (for purchases from the Duty Free store onboard anyway).

Also some ports, like Galveston, may have limits beyond the amount Customs allow you to import in. In TX you need to prove you will be leaving the state within 24 hours to bring more than 1 liter back with you though the port. Otherwise Customs on behalf of the State confiscate additional bottles.

How can you prove that, if you're drove to port from a neighboring state? Or are you just stuck?

They changed that policy for cruise longer than 5 days and they now deliver it to the cabin the night before as they used to (for purchases from the Duty Free store onboard anyway).

This is not true. We did Sunshine 8 day on March 4-12 and I had read the alcohol would be delivered and it wasn't. We had to pick up the last morning. I was not a happy camper about it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

This is not true. We did Sunshine 8 day on March 4-12 and I had read the alcohol would be delivered and it wasn't. We had to pick up the last morning. I was not a happy camper about it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

If you bought it onboard it should have been delivered, that's what the FAQ says (the stuff you buy ashore and turn in still needs to be picked up).

It's definitely worth it, but as others have mentioned do a little homework. Check prices on items you're interested in as there are some really good deals. What I looked for when I was there was varieties I couldn't get here in the States. Bones rum is one and it's very good. Also I got Cherry Marnier in St. Thomas and Jack Daniel's Silver in San Juan. None of these are sold in the US.

Being in the Caribbean means rums are going to be the best bet. Cruzan rums are made in the Virgin Islands and are available at really good prices and meet the requirements for the extra duty availability. You can also get some good deals on other brands and possibly find some uncommon varieties as well.

Shop your local area to check the prices and bottle sizes for the stuff you drink. For us the Liter of Crown on the ship was the best deal, then add the Cruzan Rums from St. Thomas and limits are maxed out. All Alcohol bought on board or in a port, will be available for pickup in the Northern Lights Dining Room the morning you return to Port Carnival. We carried off ours in the boxes provided, keeping them sealed and didn't have any issues with customs.We also used a porter who took our bags straight to a customs agent and then out to the car. I did find that knowing the prices of things I might buy, helped me make better choices. Bought a Citizen Watch for 80.00 less than I could have bought it locally.

While in San Juan, if you do the Bacardi Tour, either from the ship or on your own, you will have a chance to buy and bottle your own rum. They offer 2 higher end rums that are only available there.

If you bought it onboard it should have been delivered, that's what the FAQ says (the stuff you buy ashore and turn in still needs to be picked up).

Nope!! On Sunshine cruise in March there were 2 lines. 1 for on-board purchases and 1 for shore purchases. I know what the FAQs said because I specifically read it before the cruise. here is what the FAQs specifically say:

Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcoholwill be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

The Fun Shops (onboard)

All alcohol purchased in The Fun Shops onboard will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

Nope!! On Sunshine cruise in March there were 2 lines. 1 for on-board purchases and 1 for shore purchases. I know what the FAQs said because I specifically read it before the cruise. here is what the FAQs specifically say:

Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcoholwill be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

The Fun Shops (onboard)

All alcohol purchased in The Fun Shops onboard will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

Did they at least say why they weren't following the procedure outlined in the FAQ? I would have been a bit miffed at the change.

I agree with the above, doing your homework is key. If you are driving home from the port liquor can be a good deal, especially bottles that you can't buy at home, but if you are flying you have to account for the extra weight and if you go over the allowance the fees could quite easily chew up any savings.

More than weight I get concerned about having a bunch of broken glass and tequila soaked clothes when I get home. I don't put much faith in the delicate abilities of airline baggage handlers.

Ports of Call

The Fun Shops (onboard)

When we made the purchase on board, they told us we would pick up our purchase on the morning of debarkation and since I already had to be there for my land purchases I was fine with it.

Shop your local area to check the prices and bottle sizes for the stuff you drink. For us the Liter of Crown on the ship was the best deal, then add the Cruzan Rums from St. Thomas and limits are maxed out. All Alcohol bought on board or in a port, will be available for pickup in the Northern Lights Dining Room the morning you return to Port Carnival. We carried off ours in the boxes provided, keeping them sealed and didn't have any issues with customs.We also used a porter who took our bags straight to a customs agent and then out to the car. I did find that knowing the prices of things I might buy, helped me make better choices. Bought a Citizen Watch for 80.00 less than I could have bought it locally.

While in San Juan, if you do the Bacardi Tour, either from the ship or on your own, you will have a chance to buy and bottle your own rum. They offer 2 higher end rums that are only available there.

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! Totally going to do this!

If you are flying out of San Juan, you can purchase alcohol in the duty free shops in the airport. You can carry bottles on board and don't have to worry about packing, you can't drink them though since they seal the packaging. Does know prices or what they have in the we can bring home from SJU that don't have to worry about breaking in the luggage? :whiskey-glass::tropical-drink::cocktail:

so let me see if i understand correctly....i can buy 5 or six liters in st thomas as long as one is a "native" brand, and one in every other port, giving me a total of 8-9 bottles?

Sadly no - 5 in total - 1 needs to be "native" and at least 4 of the 5 need to be purchased in the USVI. (to be duty free at least... if you don't mind possibly paying some duty and fees on the overages, knock yourself out... unless you're sailing into Texas of course!)