Message in a Bottle Found: Seeking Ray From Philadelphia, Carnival Conquest, May 2014

Clintelby

I don't eat fish either. But that is not out of a moral objection.

Things may get lost in the waters, but there is a difference between accidental loss and deliberate pollution.

Virtually no one, except for some mammals and especially humans, cares about a difference between accidental or deliberate actions.

Oceans have millions of tons of plastic to deal with each and every year, caused by humans living on this earth. If every passenger on a cruise ship would throw out a message in a plastic bottle it would add maybe 0.000001% to the amount of plastic thrown into the seas. There's a lot of low hanging fruit to begin to solve the problem of plastics ending up in the seas, trying to stop people from sending messages in a bottle is meaningless.

I can see both points of view, and the hopeless romantic in me comes down slightly on the side of Ray. What I think it hilarious is that so many people on these boards always seem to value chengkp75's opinion and can't wait for him to jump into a thread and settle arguments... until it rains on their parade. Considering he probably has more time at sea than everyone else in this thread combined, I still value that opinion even if the message in a bottle makes for a good story.

I can see both points of view, and the hopeless romantic in me comes down slightly on the side of Ray. What I think it hilarious is that so many people on these boards always seem to value chengkp75's opinion and can't wait for him to jump into a thread and settle arguments... until it rains on their parade. Considering he probably has more time at sea than everyone else in this thread combined, I still value that opinion even if the message in a bottle makes for a good story.

If CC wouldn't have people on board like Chengkp75, bringing such a wealth of information, I wouldn't be here. Usually, Chengkp75 convinces me why my pie in the sky idea wouldn't work. We apparently disagree on this subject, we also disagree on cabotage laws, but Chengkp75 is certainly an authority whose opinion I take very seriously.

Virtually no one, except for some mammals and especially humans, cares about a difference between accidental or deliberate actions.

Oceans have millions of tons of plastic to deal with each and every year, caused by humans living on this earth. If every passenger on a cruise ship would throw out a message in a plastic bottle it would add maybe 0.000001% to the amount of plastic thrown into the seas. There's a lot of low hanging fruit to begin to solve the problem of plastics ending up in the seas, trying to stop people from sending messages in a bottle is meaningless.

And since you don't care about the difference between accidental and deliberate pollution we should just go ahead and pollute? That is precisely why oceans have tons of garbage, plastic and otherwise to deal with. You are part of the problem.

What would be an "appropriate" shore excursion for polluting? Regardless of whether it is done from a ship or shore, plastic pollution in the ocean is a crime. Sorry, I've worked 42 years at sea, and seen the effects of all kinds of pollution in all of the world's oceans, and I detest it, and welcome all efforts by the world's governments in preventing it.

If you have worked at sea for 42 years then you have a hand in polluting. Trust me you have on the vessels and ships you have been on.

Good lord, some of the triggered snowflakes commenting on this thread. *Eye Roll* Personally I think this is a really cool story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It's a simple, feel good story. Kinda cool to run across a message in a bottle. How often does that happen? With that said, I've experienced the problem of trash in the ocean. I worked on board Boeing Jetfoils back in the late 70s and when the company first got them, we would get shut down by trash sucked into the waterjet intake. It was a real problem. They overcame it by fabricating a self cleaning screen over the intake, but it was frustrating and expensive for the company, what with cancelled runs and unnecessary repairs and maintenance, initially. It was tough going at the start.

So well put, my thoughts as well.

It's a simple, feel good story. Kinda cool to run across a message in a bottle. How often does that happen? With that said, I've experienced the problem of trash in the ocean. I worked on board Boeing Jetfoils back in the late 70s and when the company first got them, we would get shut down by trash sucked into the waterjet intake. It was a real problem. They overcame it by fabricating a self cleaning screen over the intake, but it was frustrating and expensive for the company, what with cancelled runs and unnecessary repairs and maintenance, initially. It was tough going at the start.

Great co-relation to issue.

And since you don't care about the difference between accidental and deliberate pollution we should just go ahead and pollute? That is precisely why oceans have tons of garbage, plastic and otherwise to deal with. You are part of the problem.

I'm not saying that at all!

You came up with the idea that deliberate pollution is somehow worse than accidental, which it is not. Actually, the intention of sending a message in a bottle is that the bottle eventually gets removed from the sea so it's not even deliberate pollution.

I'm just saying that fighting the tradition of messages in a bottle doesn't help much, and distracts from the real sources of plastic.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. If anyone actually watched plastic items being pulled from the throat of marine life, I'm pretty sure they would think twice about throwing this stuff overboard. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that any of the cruise lines really care as much as they say they do.

Yet if those same people cared soooo deeply about marine life they would never go on a cruise ship which greatly pollutes the ocean nor would they drive a car or fly in a plane. Everything we do as humans in this day in age kills animals. Everyone should stop trying to sound so high and mighty. Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sure hope you do not drive a car and commute to your work by your own two feet or a bicycle. Anything we do as humans disturbs the earth. This gentleman picked up someone else's trash and is trying to get into contact with that person. Stop trying to make yourself feel more superior to either of them.

Honesty does anyone who opposes so negatively to this feel as though they are doing something positive here? Anyone who goes on a cruise is contributing to polluting the earth.

I read that aquatic animals are able to digest glass much easier than plastic. So I believe that if messages in bottles are sent in glass bottles, and say a whale sucks it down, it shouldn't be a danger to them. Say NO to plastic and YES to glass!!