Booze in carry-on or checked ?

Okay here's the low down...

A large group of hypothetical friends may or may not have gone on an RCL cruise to the Mexican Riviera in December. We may have been mostly college students with very little money and with high aspirations for vigilant inebriation.

In summary, we wanted to drink a lot but had no money. Paying for the cruise, transfers, and basic shore excursions alone was a heavy burden to bare, so the idea of spending $7 bucks a drink times 10-15 drinks a day times seven days ($500 -$600) was simply out of the question.

And so we, hypothetically, smuggled. We heard they were craking down, and not even plastic bottles were making it through, but we were determined

Each person contributed 20-30 bucks and the game was on. All of us carried water bottles in our carry-ons, 500mL or 1L, of various brand names. One third were filled to the brim with Vodka, with the caps super glued back to the safety ring. Another third carried partially filled bottles and acted as if they were drinking them waiting in line. Another third carried straight water and formed our front line, in case they wanted to check out the water.

In addition we each carried a bottle of Gold colored listerine. A family size bottle can actually carry an entire handle (extra large bottle) of dark rum or whiskey. Some stored it in their carry on, some in their checked bag, some in both. Always in a plastic bag with a tooth brush and tooth paste.

The real trick was slowly and carefully pulling off the plastic seal without breaking it. This was accomplished by slowly turning it back and forth while pulling up gently. Then emptying the bottle rinsing thoroughly (no soap!!!!) filling with desired liquor, and putting the seal back on. Then hitting it with a hair dryer to shrink it down to shape again.

Again do not use soap to rinse the bottles, nor should you attempt this with shampoo bottles, lotion bottles, or even bulk contact solution bottles. While a few of the rum had a very faint listerine taste, it was unnoticable when mixed and vastly more palatable than the soapy taste from the shampoo bottle and those bottles rinsed out with soap.

Hypothetically mind you.

We were hoping for a fifty percent success rate, but were shocked when everything made it through. Though one of the water bottles was checked... luckily it was a decoy.

The room attendants seemed to know the score, but couldn't care less. It wasn't there job to search you for booze. In fact our room attendant always made sure we had plenty of glasses and after waking up late after a rough night and finding him in the hall he commented with a smile "Too much mouth wash?"

All in all I think the sneakiness of it all made for a better trip... and to those worrying about the poor cruise line, know that we all spent several hundred dollars still on drinks and activities. Those damn miami vices are just too good to pass up.

Hope this is of help to you poor bastards out there that can't afford a $1,000 bar tab at the end of the trip.

To have $1000.00 bar tab at the end of the trip is crazy! My Husband and I are buying the little bottles and going to try to bring them on board that way. I am sure it is very easy to $1000.00 on the ship but for only booze! I didn't want to spend that much money for anything on board. After paying for the cruise, air , transfers and hotel and tips with all your food and entertainment included I can't imagine spending $1000. on a bar tab. Don't get me wrong I don't want to sound cheap but this is crazy in my eyes. I went on a cruise about 20 years ago and I was drunk the whole time. I don't remember the cruise at all. I will remember this one. Alot of great ideas. Just a question when you check in a 12 pack of soda don't they look for booze? Will they take the soda too?

Hey all,

That was pretty entertaining. Glad to hear you all made it on with your booze. This is probably the most discussed topic on all of cruise critic concerning saving money...and for those of you who doubt it, it can save you as much as $300 during the week. I've been carrying on my booze for as long as I can remember. Even after 911 there wasn't much of a crack down on booze smuggling. Several other embarkation ports have tightened the noose a bit on this, but it is always possible to be successful. One thing to remember...As innovative as we have become, cruise ship security has as well, and are very much aware that pax do smuggle booze on board. In 14 cruises, I have yet to see any pax booze confiscated, not have I ever had my own confiscated either. I know gift boxes of booze will be because there is no way to conceal a four bottle box of booze. Baggage is checked randomly based on weight and size of your luggage. Not every bag is checked or it would take an entire week to do so. I guess it is just a matter of luck. Trust me, its not the skill of smuggling. Its just how lucky you can get to board with it, either on your person (carry-on) or in your checked luggage. ME, I will continue to put it in my carry-on and walk right on with it like I have so many times before successfully. Your best bet for boarding with booze is when your embarkation port has a duty free liquor shop in the terminal. The cruise line knows that pax purchase booze to carry-on the ship and won't bother you about it. If they attempt to confiscate it, tell them you'll return it to the duty free shop in the terminal and tell them that the cruise line is costing them money. See how fast they tell you to proceed to the gagnway.

jcruise

Jeez, I almost hate to admit what we took on board on our last cruise, lest people think I am an alcoholic. All was shared with 8 other people.

All but one bottle of wine (allowed) was packed in our luggage. All bottles were fifth size, not pints.

5 Bottles of Wine

1 bottle of Rum

1 bottle of scotch

1 bottle vodka

1 bottle Bailey's Irish Creme

1 large bottle Kaluha

1 box of margaritas

12 beers

We ended up only drinking about half the beers, half the booze but 4 of the 5 bottles of wine.

First our favorite cruise line is Holland American so I'm not trying to flame HAL.

Last year on a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. We checked and carryed- on wine which is acceptable per their policy documented on line. Liquor is not allowed per the policy.

When we were boarding the cruise ship. There was an attendant checking the bottles in the bags. If it was wine, you could keep it. If it was liquor, it was tagged and kept till the end of the cruise. We had our wine wrapped in plastic the attendant knew to check the bottom of the wine bottle for the indention to verify that it was wine and did not unwrap it all the way.

I am very upset that RCL is now saying no wine either. Bummer. Usually, we bring it on and pay the corkage fee. The cruise line makes money and we're happy with our favorite premium wines.

• 1 month later...
Just hypothetically ;) , is it better to bring booze in your carry on or your checked luggage ? A number of posts say be sure to check it, but don't explain WHY. Are there pros and cons for each method ? Does it matter depending on how or if you try to disguise it ? The hypothetical cruise I'm thinking of is the Golden Princess from San Juan.

If you carry on any booze but wine they will take it and you can get it as you disembark after the cruise. I lock our luggage before giving it to the porter. I wrap it incase of leaks (has never happened yet) but not disguise it.

Bob

If you want to bring on something just put it in your carry on or checked luggage. The embarkation port screeners work for the port authority and/or US Customs and could care less about you bringing alcohol, H20, soda, etc..., they actually make jokes about how much you are carrying. I have been thru several ports, and 3 since Jan., and have never had, have seen, or heard of anything being confiscated. Even when you purchase something in port the ship screeners never give a second look unless you ask them or tell them you have some alcohol, etc... We have passed thru numerous Corona bottles, XXs beer cans, etc... and have even watched it being viewed on the ship X ray machine and nothing was ever said. Go about your business and you won't get a second look. I know the holier than thou on the boards will cry cheapskate, go take another vacation you can afford, you are stealing, etc..., and try to scare you, but don't even worry about it, bring what you want and enjoy yourself. (RCCL, Celeb, CCL) can't speak for the others, although port authority screens all embarkations.

Archived