DIY Florence - Is this doable?

queenfinch

Hello all! Just looking for some feedback about our DIY plans for Florence.

Our ship docks at 7AM and leaves at 7PM.

We were thinking of getting up bright and early and getting off as soon as possible, we're a family of four (all adults).

Hopefully, we will find another few couples or group of 4 to split a minibus cab to Florence. This was recommended by Rick Steves and should cost about 50euro pp. Has anyone done this lately? Is that the price you found? We're hoping that will get us into Florence by 9:30.

We want to see the Duomo complex (including climbing the dome) and baptistery doors, the Medici chapels, and the Uffizi.

Our current plan is to start at the Duomo (opens at 10, hoping to avoid lines), heading to the chaples, and grabbing lunch and gelato around 1.

Then Uffizi at 2 (we would book tickets in advance) and heading back to the ship around 4.

I have no idea if this is doable. It's been a long time since I was in Florence, and the minibus makes me nervous, as I haven't seen too many people talking about this.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

I would first try and get a few quotes on line from car services, then you can contrast the cost vs. the taxi. If there isn't a big difference, the planned car service feels safer but if there is a big difference, you might want to roll the dice and go with the taxi.

The primary difference between the car services and a taxi, usually, are that car service drivers speak English and the cars themselves are newer and in better condition. If these are not important factors for you, the lower cost (assuming it turns out to be lower) of the taxi makes more sense.

Here are a couple of taxi services you can contact for price estimates:

http://www.costaetrusca.com/taxi_livorno_toscana/index.html

http://www.taxiforcruisers.com/

Hello all! Just looking for some feedback about our DIY plans for Florence.

Our ship docks at 7AM and leaves at 7PM.

We were thinking of getting up bright and early and getting off as soon as possible, we're a family of four (all adults).

Hopefully, we will find another few couples or group of 4 to split a minibus cab to Florence. This was recommended by Rick Steves and should cost about 50euro pp. Has anyone done this lately? Is that the price you found? We're hoping that will get us into Florence by 9:30.

We want to see the Duomo complex (including climbing the dome) and baptistery doors, the Medici chapels, and the Uffizi.

Our current plan is to start at the Duomo (opens at 10, hoping to avoid lines), heading to the chaples, and grabbing lunch and gelato around 1.

Then Uffizi at 2 (we would book tickets in advance) and heading back to the ship around 4.

I have no idea if this is doable. It's been a long time since I was in Florence, and the minibus makes me nervous, as I haven't seen too many people talking about this.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

I think your plan is very doable. We cruised to Livorno in 2014 and booked an 8 seater to Florence with Tuscany by Taxi. I got a group of 8 together on our roll call and the price per person was 45 euros pp + tip. Our driver (not a guide) spoke some English and was very amiable & accommodating. We were among the first off the ship, met our driver (waiting with a sign w/my name) & were driven to Florence. We first did Piazzale Michelangelo & san Miniato al Monte. Then we had our driver drop us near Santa Croce and asked him to meet us behind the baptistry at 4 (we had his cell number also). We managed to fit in a great deal during our day (in addition to already mentioned sights, we visited San Lorenzo, Medici chapels, duomo, baptistry, the San Lorenzo Market & had lunch) and, at the appointed time, our driver was waiting for us just as agreed. We did not visit the Uffizi on the cruise trip but we last visited the Uffizi last year & it is definitely a must to reserve your tickets online.

For something really cool, I recommend a visit to Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella - one of the oldest pharmacies in the world & very interesting to visit (the perfumes are quite extraordinary).

I would have no qualms about booking again with Tuscany by taxi - we found them very reliable. You can shoot them an email and see if they meet your needs. http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/

In 2014 we had planned to take the train to Lucca but instead hired a driver and van at the dock operated by Tuscany by Taxi. Nice van and fun driver. They said there are not many taxis allowed at the port so booking in advance would be recommended. The price to Florence quoted by the previous poster seems more realistic. Florence central is a no driving zone so the driver will drop you off and pick you up later. Pisa is on the way if you want to make a quick stop on the return trip. Pisa doesn't take long if you don't climb the tower.

We have also used RimeinLimo from Livorno to Florence. They were able to drive to some places in the restricted area so a little less walking.

Tuscany by Taxi will be cheaper but not as polished. I would have no problem using Tuscany by Taxi again. Pisa and Lucca are a nice combination if you don't want the long drive to Florence.

Rick

Edited by rdt10
Typing errors

The Doumo is closed on some days, be sure to check if it is open. Florence is a very easy city to DIY, but the museums, Uffizi and Academia are always very busy and require booking in advance.

Another concern is where you will park. Parking is not impossible to come by, but not easy.

hired a driver and van at the dock operated by Tuscany by Taxi. Nice van and fun driver. They said there are not many taxis allowed at the port so booking in advance would be recommended.
Sorry if this sounds overly cynical, but that was a very self-serving statement. Of course they want people to make advance reservations, but if you show up and are willing to pay for a full day tour you will have no problem finding someone at the last minute on the dock.