Is Freedom of the Seas worth it versus Adventure of the Seas?

perkygirl

I need some help. We are booked on the Freedom of the Seas for 2006 and have sailed the Adventure of the Seas, Barbados route. We can only do one cruise next year so it is an either or situation.

Recently I have been checking prices on the Adventure and we can get a balcony on the Aruba route for the same price of a promenade room on the Freedom (never did a balcony so I am excited to try it) Also, we can get a deal on airfare to San Juan so it is costing us $450.00 less with airfare, for a balcony cabin on Adventure vs a Promenade on the Freedom of the Seas,if we choose a promenade on the Adventure we would save even more money $800.00.

I also have an issue with Freedom's itineary,I am not interested in Jamaica and Labadee is just a beach day. So we really are just visiting Cozumel and Cayaman. Cayaman looks great but problems may arise if the seas are too rough to tender. Cozumel is the stop we are most interested in as I have never been to Mexico,I am not too thrilled about the time we will be there, 7 -4 and apart from a long tour to see the ruins or xcaret on the mainland, all there is to do is the beach, am I wrong?

I would love to visit Aruba and I love that we can be there till midnight, but what is there to do in Curacao? Been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten already, but we will go to St. John's if we do go to St. Thomas and the French side of St.Maarten, so even though we have been there before there are different things to do.

Finally, I am not really bowled over by Freedom's deck plans, sure it is a nice new ship,but all things considered, is it worth it over the Adventure? Do we really need a balcony?

For those of you who are booked on the Freedom is it really worth it to you, and for those who have not booked it or are not going to book it, why ?

Perky Girl - Reading your post, it really sounds to me like you've answered your own question. To me, the Aruba itinerary is coming through between the lines loud and clear. Don't get caught up in the hype and go on the Freedom just because it's a new ship. I'm doing the Freedom in 07 but it's only because I've done the Southern already. We loved it!

We've done the Southern Caribbean Aruba route and it's wonderful. You will love Aruba. Because you're there all day, you have plenty of time to do a lot. While we were there, we rented a jeep and discovered Aruba on our own. Husband and daughter even went parasailing. I wouldn't dream of it - can't handle heights but they loved it. Curacao is nothing special. Just shops and also an open market like most of the other islands. They do have that shop that makes the orange liquor but its like a 20 minute ride inland and again nothing special. You get to sample a bunch of liquors and that's it. You're there for about 10 minutes. Personally, I thought it was a waste of time. You're better off using that time enjoying the amenities on the ship while everyone else is off the ship. Even though we were in St. Thomas before, the second time we went we took a tour offered by Godfrey. He charged us about $20 per person and he took us on a 2 hour island tour, then we had 2 hours to shop in town and then we also had 2 hours at one of the beaches. He picked us up at the ship and dropped us off about an hour before the ship left the port. Well worth the money spent. I recommend him highly. I can't remember his website but if you look on these boards, he's been mentioned and recommended by everyone.

If you make up your mind and do decide Aruba, definitely go with the balcony. You won't be sorry.

I have to say, I was unimpressed by the Freedom's itinerary. I wish they'd alternate with an Eastern or Southern itinerary, the only port on the current one that interests me is Grand Cayman, and it is a hit-or-miss port with weather issues. And the last time I went there, I did not enjoy the crowds waiting for tenders and that was with 1000 fewer people.

I guess I am leaning more to Adventure because we can get a balcony AND save some money, but my boyfriend says it's cheaper but the Freedom is the better cruise :confused:. He doesn't care about the balcony either since he is always out of the cabin doing something.

He really liked the Adventure but is not too thrilled with sailing from Puerto Rico again, thinking we can spend a few nights in South Beach and really have a good time before the cruise.

we would do the adventure with the balcony and save the money-

are waiting to do the freedom til its a little older and less popular (if that ever happens?) so maybe the prices will come down? love the voyager class ships and plan to do a couple more of them next-

Curacao, we rented a car and drove all over the island, it is a beautiful island. We liked it better than Aruba!

Plus Freedom is too big. I prefer the Radiance class but the kids really want to try the Navigator in March.

You don't sound very eager to do the Freedom, so I think you would be happier on a ship that does an itinerary you like. Many, perhaps most, of the people who have booked the Freedom have done so to be on the newest and largest cruise ship at sea, and are more interested in her innovative features than her itinerary. Unless that is of interest to you, it is probably not worth the extra cost. Aruba and Curaçao are among our favorite islands, but Aruba basically has some beautiful beaches with some gambling and some good restaurants. Otherwise it is not a very scenic island (it is very desertlike and not at all the typical plush tropical locale, you might envision when you picture a Caribbean island) Curaçao is very picturesque and if you seek them out there are a couple of good beaches but not close to Willemstadt. In the days when all the cruiseships sailed down past the main street it was an experience to sail into Willemstadt, but nowadays most of the larger ships dock just outside the city. The floating pontoon bridge, the markets and the pastel colored historic buildings are something to behold.

Labadee is a wonderful day at the beach with several to choose from and an active artists' mart that folks either love or dislike intensely. Grand Cayman, where you can swim with the stingrays or spend some quality time on Seven Mile Beach is so popular that it can get very crowded if several ships are in port at the same time.

This is your vacation so pick the ship and itinerary that most appeals to you, not others.:)

You are going to find as many varied opinions as there are ships in the fleet!

Figure out what's important to you in cruising, the ship facilities, the itinerary, the price. Are you a big ship or small ship person, do you actually do the excursions or hang out on the ship?

Once you define your cruise style and prioritize what's important, you can easily cross check to find which ship best meets your needs.

Both ships and both itineraries are going to be around for years to so don't sweat it. It's not like you can't book another cruise after this one! :) If you're like most of us, it becomes are permanent part of your vacation life.

So cruise one this year and save the other for next year or 07! It will be something else to look forward to.

Thanks for all your responses.The thing is I like both routes,I want to see Aruba, Cayaman and Cozumel.I am also kinda excited about the Freedom being a new ship and all, but not about the price difference :)

Both my boyfriend and me would like to do a different ship from the Adventure (not that we didn't love it) and have a balcony. I have started looking at the Navigator, does the same ports as the Freedom , except Montego Bay, in reverse.Ochos Rios seems to have more stuff to do than Montego Bay so that's cool.

We can get our balcony on the Navigator for about the same price we are paying for the Freedom less a few dollars.Plus it has Jade, Vintages and Boleros which we didn't have on the Adventure and which will be on the Freedom too.

So now I have added Navigator to the mix and made myself even more confused :confused:

I did the AOS in March and loved it. St. Marten was our favorite. We rented a car, went to Orient Beach drove to the French side for lunch and a fort. Then we went to see the planes land.

Curaco was as others described not much. I wanted to go to the ostrich farm but the taxis were too much. I wish I had known as I would have rented a car.

All that said I am also booked on the Freedom. I'm not too thrilled with the Western but put me on a cruise ship and I will have fun. We are going with our neighbors who are a lot of fun so we are looking forward to it.

Now you throw in the balcony on the AOS and saving money it becomes a no brainer IMHO.

Glen

I gave you my generic two cents worth but to be specific, if it were me, I never sail sans balcony.

That's my first priority ANY ship!

I also am not a big Freedom fan, even though I've not been on her! I think she's huge, expect lines and long walks- she's new, expect there to be some bugs that need to be worked out, given her bells and whistles she's bound to be full of kids - ok I'm in my 40's raised my kids and now prefer to sail off season when the ships are not over run by kids and I just see all these cutsie water features as a real kid magnet, please don't flame me, just my opinion. I do want all of you with kids and families to go cruise and enjoy yourself!!! However, for me, all of those thing with the western itinerary don't put the Freedom, who is running high on press hype, high up on my list of cruises I'll be booking in the short term.

That's just my 3 cents worth.

Unless the Freedom specifically has features that you feel rank high up on your priority list, other than the fact that she's new, I think it's a no brainer too. Take the other route with the balcony.

I am doing the Freedom in June...just for the ship.

Just my 2 cents worth! :)

Us to. I have been on this itinerary on the NOS, loved it, for us, its all about the ship......We had a balcony on NOS, we have an AFT balcony on Jewel and we are going Promenade on Freedom, which will be awesome for people watching.

I went through the same questions as you did and finally decided to wait till a different year for the Freadom. I could not see paying that much more money for it plus with having two rooms it was difficult for us to find a triple and double balcony. So we finally decided to do AOS again, but do the St. Lucia itenerary since we have never been there. I am going to stay in San Juan for a few days after for my son's 4th birthday. Good luck with your decision. We thought about the Navigator also and decided that since we may do the Freadom next year we did not want to do the West Caribean two times in a row.

Mary

I am doing the Freedom in June...just for the ship. I never really pay much attention to the itinerary! LOL

Just my 2 cents worth! :)

And I respect your right to choose your cruises that way and enjoy them.

I chuckle because my 2 cents worth is the opposite. While the choice of ship is certainly a consideration (there are some that we wouldn't book under any circumstances), the itinerary is first priority for us, then price and ship. In fact, we won't be cruising on Freedom because of the itinerary. The new "wow" stuff just isn't enough of a draw for us.

For me this would be a no brainer: Better itinerary, balcony (a requirement for us), less money. Yep, AOS would be the choice.

beachchick

I too enjoy a balcony! :) As a teacher getting out on the ocean and enjoying people is a vacation in itself!

It is truly a uniuque thing that we are all so different. This is what makes our world go around!

I think there are some lovely spots to see in the world and I too on occasion visit these spots, but for that one week I feel like I need the rest! LOL Kim

At some point in my life I too would like to visit St. Lucia!

Well today is a new day and we are somewhat closer to making a decision.

It looks like we are leaning towards having a balcony on Navigator of the Seas for the same price as a promenade on the Freedom. My boyfriend thinks Aruba is the only new island we will be getting to experience on Adventure of the Seas and having a balcony does not make up for it. We both want to do the Western route eventually, he does not care wheter it is Freedom or Navigator or about having a balcony. I am really wanting a balcony, so the hence the lean towards Navigator.

We cruise for the ports first, ship second and price third.

Now the twist is, I am thinking a promenade on the Freedom is not a bad deal,does it make sense doing the Navigator just for the balcony............:confused: :confused: :confused:

We get the cantileverd hot tubs, bigger pool deck, sorrentos italian restaurant, karaoke booth, bigger promenade, bigger ice rink,hopefully bigger rooms, brand new rooms and the flowrider on the Freedom

or

Jade, Vintages,Boleros and a balcony on the Navigator............

I say go with the FOS, you have already been on the AOS and if you never had a balcony you don't know what you are missing.;) .Think of all the people who do not cruise with a balcony, I don't hear them complaining!!!

If the difference of a balcony is going to make you choose NOS over the FOS, go with the FOS.I think the newness of the ship is worth it, plus all the extras. You sound like active people and I don't think you will be spending that much time in your room with such a big ship to explore, I know we don't plan on it!!

I would like to have a balcony one day, but it is not a priority for me right now.I almost feel as if we would have to spend time in our cabins to enjoy the balcony as opposed to getting out and enjoying the ship.

just my 2 cents.

You will not go wrong with any of you choices. The NOS is my favorite so far but I am also booked twice on FOS. I have a strong preference for a balcony and find that the price can be almost double depending on when you book. The same cabin in June is almost twice what it is in early November.

Better yet, Perkygirl, come with us on the Celebrity Zenith 13 nighter next October. It is a repo cruise and very cheap. Leaves from Bayonne and ends up in Miami and visits the western and the southern caribbean. It will be great.

I like this idea....I'll have to check into this cruise. I was on the Zenith to Bermuda. It's a nice ship. The other one I'd like to do is the Empress 11 nighter. I love all those ports!

I would like to have a balcony one day, but it is not a priority for me right now.I almost feel as if we would have to spend time in our cabins to enjoy the balcony as opposed to getting out and enjoying the ship.

just my 2 cents.

This is so true! As I said, find out what your priorities are.... for us, we breakfast every day on the balcony, we have our predinner drinks on the balcony and get in a little private dancing all by ourselves! We love to watch the world go by on the balcony, wave to the next ship, watch people come back from port. We have a ton of people interaction during our day to day lives and for us, cruising is a special time to be together.

But I do know people that never have a balcony and are just as happy hanging out on the public deck.

It's all a matter of personal preferences and the beauty of these cruises is that there IS something for everyone!

Archived