How Quickly Can We Get to the Le Havre Train Station?

minnow76

Hi all,

I apologize that this is too late for some people who wanted to know, but I did want to follow up about our experience. We got up and were waiting for the all clear to go ashore and were some of the first people off the ship.

We went straight to the taxi rank, and my husband (who does speak fluent French) secured a taxi for €12. We hopped in with a few other people, and I furiously counted out the €12 per person. We arrived shortly thereafter - and lo and behold - it was €12 for all six of us! I had to chuckle, considering I was prepared to pay so much more based on what I'd heard.

Our cabbie did get a nicer tip than he was probably expecting, so win-win.

We easily made the train, had a fun (albeit crowded) time in Paris, and easily made the return train. One note just to be aware of - it costs a minimal fee (maybe €2-3) to use the restrooms in the train station. Not a big deal - just be prepared if you think you might be in a hurry!

As someone else mentioned here, when we returned, we exited the station and went to the taxi rank (I think it's left once you exit...it definitely is not straight out the door). We easily found a cabbie to take us back. Truly, both our drivers in Le Havre were the most pleasant of our whole trip.

Best of luck to anyone who attempts this. Our experience was only one, but from it, there seems to be nothing to be concerned about.

Heather

We got off the ship early on our last cruise and simply walked to the station. It really wasn't bad at all. Here is a link to the google map which shows the route. Our ship was in closer, so I think the walk was no more than 20 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gare+du+Havre,+Rue+Magellan,+Le+Havre,+France/Cruise+Terminal+Le+Havre,+Quai+Roger+Meunier,+76059+Le+Havre,+France/@49.4873866,0.1078227,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47e02f041d749365:0x83f993d4d62d8494!2m2!1d0.124765!2d49.492668!1m5!1m1!1s0x47e02eddf912d2b9:0x30de835d1327c8be!2m2!1d0.108211!2d49.48153!3e2?hl=en

Our experience was a little different. There were hardly any taxis available and those that were there wanted a long trip. Even offering 20 euro per passenger ( there would have been at least 6 that wanted to go to the train station ) was no good. We ended up in a cab with a couple who were going to Rouen and got dropped off along the way. The driver was adamant that there were no trains and he persuaded another couple to let him take them to Paris instead of the train station. We dug our heels in and were dropped off and no worries with the train. It was a strike day but there were still allocated trains running. The SNCF guaranteed that if they had the train as running it would. Getting back no issues and taxis lined up outside the station. One word of advice Paris traffic is horrendous we made our train back with 2 minutes to spare. Another suggestion dont take the boat ride on the Seine there is only commentary downstairs but the best views are upstairs. And in lots of cases trees block the views. It also cost us close to 2 hours of time. HOHO bus route strange but conmentary very good. We purchased tickets online but they would not accept them as there was no barcode to scan. Had to buy another lot. Still glad we went to Paris but we had our hearts in our mouths at times.

• 3 weeks later...
Our experience was a little different. There were hardly any taxis available and those that were there wanted a long trip. Even offering 20 euro per passenger ( there would have been at least 6 that wanted to go to the train station ) was no good. We ended up in a cab with a couple who were going to Rouen and got dropped off along the way. The driver was adamant that there were no trains and he persuaded another couple to let him take them to Paris instead of the train station. We dug our heels in and were dropped off and no worries with the train. It was a strike day but there were still allocated trains running. The SNCF guaranteed that if they had the train as running it would. Getting back no issues and taxis lined up outside the station. One word of advice Paris traffic is horrendous we made our train back with 2 minutes to spare. Another suggestion dont take the boat ride on the Seine there is only commentary downstairs but the best views are upstairs. And in lots of cases trees block the views. It also cost us close to 2 hours of time. HOHO bus route strange but conmentary very good. We purchased tickets online but they would not accept them as there was no barcode to scan. Had to buy another lot. Still glad we went to Paris but we had our hearts in our mouths at times.

Hello, HoneyandHoney.

Weighing our options, as well. At that time, did you catch the current charge that the driver was asking for the ride to Paris?

Thanks also to Hlitner for your advice on this board.

Thanks, Paul

Sent from my iPad using Forums