Alitalia Strike - April 5-7 - Choice Air?

bbappel

It seems there was an Alitalia strike. I know this is unlikely but did anyone have a Choice Air flight on Alitalia during the strike - and if so, what did the Choice Air folks do?

We are booked Choice Air from Venice to Rome prior to our cruise at the end of May. I don't expect another strike so soon, but Alitalia is apparently on squishy ground at the moment. I'm wondering if Celebrity will take care of us in the event the unforeseen happens.

Thanks. Beth

There are websites that you can check which list all scheduled upcoming strikes for various sectors in Italy.

Here's a good primer that tells you where to find the best website to check for upcoming strikes and how to read it:

https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/travelers-guide-strikes-italy

The air travel forum here on CC is rife with stories of people whose trips went south when things went wrong with their airline travel purchased through the cruise line. The conventional wisdom seems to be that these tickets are good when all goes well but not so great when things DON'T go as anticipated.

The cruise line that sold you the ticket isn't necessarily who you will need to go to for help if help is needed. Not that it's likely you'll hit a strike, but in case of ANY travel problems it's up to you to be proactive -- find out ahead of time who you need to contact in the event of any trouble while traveling. If there's a chance of missed connections, look up what your alternatives are and be prepared with them when you call.

There are websites that you can check which list all scheduled upcoming strikes for various sectors in Italy.

Here's a good primer that tells you where to find the best website to check for upcoming strikes and how to read it:

https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/travelers-guide-strikes-italy

Thanks for the input, that is what I was doing by posting this. There WAS a strike and it is unlikely that there will be one when we are traveling, but since I know that one happened, I want to know if there was anyone who had booked Alitalia through Choice Air (Celebrity) and what was their experience.

We have back-up plans but think Celebrity has primary responsibility to get us to the ship since we booked both Choice Air AND the Celebrity transfer. This is the first time in years that we are planning to arrive the day of the cruise. The flight is only an hour and if all else fails it isn't a long train ride, even on the local. In the case of something we learn about a day ahead we can always go to Rome/Civitavecchia a day early and sacrifice one of the days we were spending in Venice. The friends we are traveling with said Choice Air did a good job for them.

I have heard stories of how having Choice Air saved the day for people, so I'm not reluctant to use them, I'm just trying to learn more while I have time and it isn't last minute.

Thanks again,

Beth