Oasis review March 26-April 2, 2017

I was interested to read about the international food at the buffet. My wife is Filipina so we will enjoy it if the have Filipino staples such as adobo or pancit. (Anyone happen to remember what dishes are offered?) We also really enjoy Indian cuisine so that will be nice as well.

They had pork adobo every day I checked. I can't recall most of the other stuff. It all looked pretty good and it was never a busy station. If anyone is interested in Indian stuff, they always had a curried something or other on the buffet, and one night at the MDR they had Korma with Naan bread - which my son inhaled at least 4 pieces of. Who doesn't like Naan bread?

We had the streaming voom plan and it was pretty reliable. We watched a few hockey games over the connection, and it was mostly ok quality (similar to what I get at McDonalds or anywhere with free wifi). I uploaded one video to Youtube and that took forever. Uploads aren't fast, I guess? I didn't try again.

I went to part of the headliner showtime (the Elton John guy) which wasn’t really all that great. Amusing but again, not up my alley.

My husband and I were on this same sailing. We weren't expecting much but both ended up loving the headliner show!

Thanks for the review and the heads up on drop off times. Maybe we should have a nice quiet lunch onshore before boarding. :)

We took an uber from the car rental drop off to a restaurant across the street from the cruise terminal, but didn't actually go in. We just walked across the street with our luggage. There was a big line of people waiting in cars to be dropped off and we got to skip it all. It would be harder to do if you had to wrangle kids, but worked out well for my husband and I. If we ever cruise out of Port Canaveral again we'd do this every time.

Thanks for the great review! Did you happen to notice who was playing in the Schooner or Globe & Atlas?

Unfortunately, I don't remember names and don't have the compasses. The guy in the Globe and Atlas was a talented guitar player though - he played the solo from Sultans of Swing properly, he's gotta be good!

I missed the $5 'Internet thing' you referenced when talking about the M&M. Could you tell me more or point me to the right area?

It was during the super bowl cruise planner sale. Lasted a few days at that price. I gave the heads up in the M&M forum. I normally participate more on the M&M but this time I figured the kids would dominate my time (and they did)!

Check the planner regularly for your cruise, prices fluctuate wildly on everything.

Did you have to sign up ahead of time for any specific activities offered in kids club?

They have some things like balloon twisting that have a maximum number of people that can attend, though I didn't attend these, don't don't know if there was a sign up list in advance. Other than those, it was all drop in and do.

Have a great cruise!

We're sailing on Allure in just 5 days. For most, if not all, of our prior sailings, I've been fortunate enough to get true Indian food in the MDR by speaking with the head waiter in our section. I love it, and since my older son is away at college, I don't get to eat it much since my younger one doesn't care for it.

I speak with the HW and he's usually able to have it brought up to me from the crew dining. I'm never picky, will eat practically anything they offer, and they'll usually ask me if I want vegetarian or non-vegetarian, then it's a surprise each night.

We're eating specialty for the first 2 nights due to FNDR and D+ BOGO, then we'll have one other night in specialty due to a promotion my agency was giving out. But I will probably ask for the Indian food in the MDR for the nights we are there. Hopefully, they will be able to accommodate me.

Thanks for the review. We're on Oasis in October with our 11 and 8 year old. We did Freedom two years ago, and I've been quite concerned that Oasis may just be too big for us. We will see. Did you experience excessive crowds in the Adventure Ocean program? Our kids love Adventure Ocean in the evenings, but my son can get overwhelmed with too many people.

Thanks for the review. We're on Oasis in October with our 11 and 8 year old. We did Freedom two years ago, and I've been quite concerned that Oasis may just be too big for us. We will see. Did you experience excessive crowds in the Adventure Ocean program? Our kids love Adventure Ocean in the evenings, but my son can get overwhelmed with too many people.

The busiest night for my older son (same ages as your youngest) was sports night, and the AO staff said it was 56 kids out on the sports court. I'm assuming your cruise will have much fewer kids as this was a spring-break time cruise - all of Alberta (or at least it seemed that way) was on break, and the people we spoke to from Minnesota, Illinois and South Carolina told us their break was that week as well.

It's a big ship but I didn't find it to be that large in comparison to Liberty - the neighbourhoods really make the ship divided into areas. The promenade is not as large and is more crowded during events compared to the Freedom class. I'm sure you guys will love Oasis. I hope you have a great cruise!

I speak with the HW and he's usually able to have it brought up to me from the crew dining. I'm never picky, will eat practically anything they offer, and they'll usually ask me if I want vegetarian or non-vegetarian, then it's a surprise each night.

Considering they have an Indian spread in the buffet each day, I'm sure you'll be able to get Indian to your heart's content in the MDR. Enjoy your cruise!

Very helpful review, especially that cabin photo, we are on Oasis this summer too. Usually I book two connecting cabins for the extra space, plus it typically works out cheaper for the dates we can sail vs squeezing in to one, but I have wondered whether we could in fact still manage in one and still have space. My kids are 7 and 13 so sharing a sofabed isn't happening.

Very helpful review, especially that cabin photo, we are on Oasis this summer too. Usually I book two connecting cabins for the extra space, plus it typically works out cheaper for the dates we can sail vs squeezing in to one, but I have wondered whether we could in fact still manage in one and still have space. My kids are 7 and 13 so sharing a sofabed isn't happening.

We did two connecting junior suites on Liberty last time - the price was ridiculously low for that. I looked into it for this cruise, but we managed upon the 'kids sail free' so it wound up approximately $300 Canadian (for the port charges) over what it would cost for just the two in one cabin.

That being said, if the cruise we booked onboard doesn't show up with kids sail free, I won't bother. It's about $6300 Canadian for four of us to cram into one cabin - not happening. It's marginally more expensive to book a separate inside cabin but even at that it's still too expensive for one week.

And my kids can barely stand sitting at the same table let alone the same bed. Hotel stays are always divided between mom and dad's beds! I know where you are coming from.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...

I forgot I had posted a few other videos from this cruise, for those that might be interested in watching. I was still getting used to the 'action' camera on a clamp on the balcony so the videos are a bit jerky. Labadee was hard with the glare from the sun.

Time lapses were taken with the Wimius faux-pro clamped onto the balcony. The rest were with my Axon 7 phone which is why focus is not great.

Clamp looked like so:

e86e537ac95ead50f140facd7c5d8057.jpg

Departing Port Canaveral:

AYKNgYeEDsk

Arriving into Labadee:

FTolYvyM6p0

Riding the Dragon's Tail - my son was holding the camera and doing a good job of it:

zOGGSao2CAg

(Warning: long and boring, poor focus) Arriving back to Port Canaveral at 5:00 am - yeah I was awake anyway!

gyXStKl09y8

Leaving from the pre-booked shuttle pickup area on Cortrans (highly recommended). You can see the entrance to the garage and the way I would get into the drop off area. Also go past the Alamo rental place - I've never seen so many cars ready to rent...

CUrVE8E8fC8

Hope these videos help people like others helped me!