How do you get VIP Status???

nycruise

We were given VIP status on our Mexican Riviera cruise last week, but am not sure why. We were invited to a cocktail party hosted by the Captain in addition to the Latitudes party. Also invited to dinner in Soho hosted by the Captain. Received a complimentary bottle of wine personally from the Captain. Had appetizers and dessert trays delivered to our room each evening and got VIP early disembarkation tags at the end of the cruise.

Great benefits but not sure why we got them, we were in a standard balcony cabin.

We were given VIP status on our Mexican Riviera cruise last week, but am not sure why. We were invited to a cocktail party hosted by the Captain in addition to the Latitudes party. Also invited to dinner in Soho hosted by the Captain. Received a complimentary bottle of wine personally from the Captain. Had appetizers and dessert trays delivered to our room each evening and got VIP early disembarkation tags at the end of the cruise.

Great benefits but not sure why we got them, we were in a standard balcony cabin.

Wow -- good for you guys! We were in a mini-suite on the same cruise as you and did not get benefits like that. We are first time NCL cruisers though....when you find out, let us all know! :o

Because someone made a mistake, lucky for you.

Mark

There are a few ways and I am not quite sure how or why. We have gotten it on 3 NCL cruises but not all. I do know NCL likes those of us who have positive attitudes, but I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Going to the CC party will not automatically get you anything except coffee and some snacks plus a chance to meet some of the crew members. NMnita

We had VIP status on our NCL Alaska cruise summer 2004. However, the only perk we recd was priority embarkation and disembarkment. I coordinated a cc party by contacting NCL directly and also asking for this VIP status. They asked me to submit a list of all cc members on board and their booking numbers which I did. No one in our group had problems with priority boarding. The pier had the list of our group. However, no one on the ship had any idea of who we were and therefore no perks other than the cc party with cookies and lemonade and priority disembarkment.

I have read on these boards that other members have recd a number of other benefits as a result of being part of a cc group traveling on board. Unfortunately, that was not our experience.

Do tell us about it ,what happend ???

May 2003 on the Star.

All the CC members who sailed it said to go to the little Cruise Critic gathering. IT was held on the second day of he cruise after we left Hilo and on the way to Fanning Island. We met the Hotel Director and the Food and Beverage director. There were just a few of us there. We were not a part of a group or anything. Just CC members who happened to be on the same cruise. They took out names and cabin numbers. After that, we got good VIP treatment. Captain's Cocktail party on the formal night. VIP tender tickets. Little snacks every day in the cabin. Any time we saw the Hotel Director, he would always come by and say hello and talk. If we needed it, they would have been able to get us a table at any specialty restaurant any night.

From what I can tell, this was pretty much something that was up to that Hotel Director. He was great. (James Deering). Hopefully, he's still with the company.

How nice,heard about a similar thing on another ship, also with a small group.

At our cc meet and greet we will be 40 if all turn up, I suppose there will be limited perks they can give us

But I think it's great they set up the meetings for us, and turn up to say hello.

We have been on the Sun, and the Spirit before and loved both of them.

Frestyle is the way for us :)

I received the same VIP treatment, and I was just in a balcony cabin also. It was my 3rd cruise on the Dawn & I did attend the CC meeting. But not all that attended received the VIP treatment. Also, I had written NCL letters of praise from my previous 2 Dawn cruises, which they called me to thank me for taking the time to let them know how great my cruises were. Maybe it was noted somewhere on my file. Then again maybe it was just a mistake! Cant figure that one out!

I received the same VIP treatment, and I was just in a balcony cabin also. It was my 3rd cruise on the Dawn & I did attend the CC meeting. But not all that attended received the VIP treatment. Also, I had written NCL letters of praise from my previous 2 Dawn cruises, which they called me to thank me for taking the time to let them know how great my cruises were. Maybe it was noted somewhere on my file. Then again maybe it was just a mistake! Cant figure that one out!

I think you somewhat hit the nail on the head. It's those letters that do help. NMNita

May 2003 on the Star.

All the CC members who sailed it said to go to the little Cruise Critic gathering. IT was held on the second day of he cruise after we left Hilo and on the way to Fanning Island. We met the Hotel Director and the Food and Beverage director. There were just a few of us there. We were not a part of a group or anything. Just CC members who happened to be on the same cruise. They took out names and cabin numbers. After that, we got good VIP treatment. Captain's Cocktail party on the formal night. VIP tender tickets. Little snacks every day in the cabin. Any time we saw the Hotel Director, he would always come by and say hello and talk. If we needed it, they would have been able to get us a table at any specialty restaurant any night.

From what I can tell, this was pretty much something that was up to that Hotel Director. He was great. (James Deering). Hopefully, he's still with the company.

We are booked into suites for our December 10th cruise from Charleston so I assume we will get VIP status for that directly. I have also been in contact with other passengers via the ROLL CALL boards, etc. so I will likely spearhead our CC treatment.

I'm fairly certain he was let go after the Pride of Aloha launch fiasco - let me do some searching....James Deering is now with HAL

What a shame he ended up being the "fall guy" for NCL's shortcomings.

I was on the repositioning cruise for PoA and was very impressed with Mr Deering's direct, honest and attentive manner of handling questions and concerns.

In fact, I never gave much thought to the CD until I met him at our CC meet (and he stopped to say hello and ask how things were a couple of times too). I previously thought the CD was like the MaitreD; someone I saw but never spoke with that had some elusive responsibilities with staff but no interaction with pax.

Perhaps I'll check out a sailing with HAL under his care.

BTW on that sailing all of the CCers were given VIP status with a number of perks regardless of booking status (free canapes, conceirge use, tender tkts).

I've also been upgraded to VIP status. It may have to do with being a registered gambler on the ship and also with booking groups on prior cruises.

On my last cruise to Alaska the Captain sent a huge fruit and wine platter to our cabin and we had wine and snacks and chocolate strawberries when we embarked.

That was pretty neat!

Better than free fruit though was the free two catagory upgrade I got in the mail this week! Surprise! So the upgrade combined with the 1500 in free NCL/MBNA points I've already accumulated have got my minding churning on planning yet another cruise. I'm not banking on getting VIP status but I won't turn it down if I do get it. ;)

We had VIP status on NCL cruises #2 and #3.

NCL #2 - We were getting married at a port of call, but not through the cruiseline. I think the concierge added us after meeting us on embarkation day. We had a total of 19 cruising but had booked through different agents (due to price decreases closer to the embarkation date and when people booked). He really took care of us that week. We were in a suite, not a fancy suite. The lowest level of suite possible.

NCL #3 - We were in an AF minisuite and met the concierge on embarkation day. When we (and our buddies nextdoor in the adjacent AF mini) received VIP letters, we were surprised. We later asked the concierge and she told us certain cabin categories automatically get it, and others can be added once onboard. We weren't in one of the "automatic" cabins. However, we were just friendly people and she added us for whatever reason.

I must admit... on both cruises, the concierge was awesome!!

Archived