Brindisi?

pahrumpiangoessailing

There is a lot in the area but I found Brindisi itself pretty soulless and perfunctory. Of course, I could have been having a bad day ...

For example, a half hour train ride to Lecce costs less than 3 euro each way and there's plenty to see there.

If you rent a car, Alberobello and the truli are only about an hour away, or the sassi at Matera are two hours away.

Agree with Euro....about Brindisi being "soulless." It is a pretty active port city primarily used for ferries. It can be a very busy place in the evening when many overnight ferries are loading (we once took a ferry from Brindisi to Corfu). I recall that DW and I actually found a half decent Chinese restaurant...not far from the ferry piers :). That was the highlight of Brindisi....for us.

Hank

We had a port of call here two years ago in 2015. It is really a "gateway" port rather than a destination in itself as there are several interesting/scenic places not far away.

Lecce, Alberobello and The Sassi of Matera already mentioned, but there is also Ostuni.

We had a tough decision as we wanted both Lecce and Matera but could only do one of them, eventually deciding on Matera because it is truly unique and one of the most interesting places we ever visited. It has been used as a location in several big budget films including Passion of the Christ and the 2016 remake of Ben Hur.

Look at all of these suggestions online and see if any appeal to you.

Edited by edinburgher
missed word

• 2 months later...

brindisi is my first port leaving from venice. not sure what to do here. in port for 6 hours, but want it more of a fun relaxing stop since we have a jam pack week ahead. what are the interests in leece? are there any decent beaches near by? I will be traveling with a teen and 5 year old. so need to keep their interest lol...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

brindisi is my first port leaving from venice. not sure what to do here. in port for 6 hours, but want it more of a fun relaxing stop since we have a jam pack week ahead. what are the interests in leece? are there any decent beaches near by? I will be traveling with a teen and 5 year old. so need to keep their interest lol...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
We arranged a private tour to Alberobello and Ostuni for our upcoming port stop in Brindisi. After our tour, we plan to DIY Brindisi so I researched what's available. With a 5-yr old and teen in tow, you may be interested in Brindisi Express, a tourist train that does a 1-hour circuit around the main sites on town, with Italian gelato at the end! Decent reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://www.toursofpuglia.com/brindisi_express.html

We arranged a private tour to Alberobello and Ostuni for our upcoming port stop in Brindisi. After our tour, we plan to DIY Brindisi so I researched what's available. With a 5-yr old and teen in tow, you may be interested in Brindisi Express, a tourist train that does a 1-hour circuit around the main sites on town, with Italian gelato at the end! Decent reviews on Trip Advisor.

thank you for that information.

any chance you know if the brindisi express train runs every hour or just a set time? the website is pretty limited with information.