RC S.O.S. / Carnival Wins

lizzytish

That happened to friends of ours after Katrina. Scheduled to go on one of the Carnival ships that were bought out by the gov't. and they already had their airline tickets for those days, so Carnival put them on the Conquest, for the same price, which in my estimation is a nicer ship than they were scheduled to go on.

They're luck they got the Conquest for the same price, especially considering it is a different class of ship than the ones that were charted. Most of the other people that were cancelled by Carnival ended up having to pay much higher prices for cruises the same week they had originally booked, and that was even on ships in the same class they had originally booked.

I understand the OP's frustration. If the OP is upset enough not to return to RCI that is OP's right. If enough people did this, the cruise lines would stop charting ships after passengers have been booked.

I have a company I cannot stand because of their customer service (or lack there of). I have 9 products from this company and which replaced several prior products from this same company. I will not longer buy from this company. I have already replaced two of these products with a competitor's product, and will continue to do so even if it costs me more. What is worse, this company recently won a customer service award. So, different strokes for different folks.

I like RCI and I am planning to cruise on RCI in June 2007. However, if RCI did this to me I might also stop cruising with RCI. It is the OP's choice who to cruise with and given what happened, I support the OP's choice.

Have you cruised on Carnival previously? It's a little premature to praise Carnival before the cruise. ;)

I am sorry but I would never cruise the Fantasy again. It is a dump.

I understand your frustration with RCI but suggest you look at another alternative. If you enjoy RCI and have not sailed with Carnival, I anticipate that you will be even more disappointed than you are now.

I would stay home before I would step foot on the Fantasy again.

CG

The cruise line of choice has broken my heart. Royal Caribbean chartered the Sovereign of the Seas out from under us.

As part of my 50th Birthday present, my husband and I booked a short cruise to the Bahamas leaving Port Canaveral 2/27/06. We had purchased independent air and were stuck with airline tickets to Florida and no cruise to go on. RC offered us a full refund, or the opportunity to reschedule another short cruise to the Bahamas with $50 shipboard credit and many blackout periods. Big Whoop, little compensation!!! We needed to make the decision in less than a weeks time. After calling RC customer service and pleading my case, that the additional expenses incurred in making alternate vacation plans would cause a hardship, I was told there was nothing else RC would do. I would like to find out how many of us this impacted!

Fortunately,the Carnival Fantasy leaves the port a day ahead and the schedule worked with our Airline tickets. The Fantasy cruise cost is even $10pp cheaper. We will never cruise Royal Caribbean again and I am sure the RC BEAN COUNTERS could care less. After all, we are not $$$$$$$ just people. So BEWARD booking vacations on Royal Caribbean, because they might sell the ship out from under you. BOO Royal Caribbean, and YEAH Carnival!!!! Carnival has gained another customer!!!

We cruised Carnival Legend last January and had a wonderful time. Lorelle

I understand your frustration with RCI but suggest you look at another alternative. If you enjoy RCI and have not sailed with Carnival, I anticipate that you will be even more disappointed than you are now.

CG

Having been on the Fantasy since Carnival spent twenty-five million dollars on her two years ago, I can vouch that she is NOT a dump. She also had another major dry dock recently with more upgrades. To the OP, you can see photos of the Fantasy in my link below. Just as an FYI. Carnival now has some of the most comfortable beds in the cruise industry which is something that RCI is lagging behind. I like RCI and they are my first choice but I think that you will be ok with the Fantasy.

CG

That's a positively silly statement. I heard something similar as we boarded the shuttle at Amerisuites to take us to the pier for our cruise on the Jewel of the Seas last December. A woman getting off the shuttle was just returning from a week on the Jewel and said very loudly, "if any of you are going on Jewel of the Seas, don't bother. The food was absolute slop - actually even a pig wouldn't eat it." Of course, it was not slop.

The Fantasy is NOT a dump. I have no blind loyalties to any cruiseline whatsoever but I also have no regard for statements like that.

That's a positively silly statement. I heard something similar as we boarded the shuttle at Amerisuites to take us to the pier for our cruise on the Jewel of the Seas last December. A woman getting off the shuttle was just returning from a week on the Jewel and said very loudly, "if any of you are going on Jewel of the Seas, don't bother. The food was absolute slop - actually even a pig wouldn't eat it." Of course, it was not slop.

The Fantasy is NOT a dump. I have no blind loyalties to any cruiseline whatsoever but I also have no regard for statements like that.

It is certainly your choice to have "no regard" for my statement. I also certainly have the right to my opinion and I have cruised both ships, SOS a dozen times, Fantasy once.

I cruised Fantasy when she was a year old, and it was my first Carnival cruise. I would rather have stayed home. It is dark and full of neon and plastic. I did not care for the food or the service. It was tacky and not at all my taste.

While some may enjoy Fantasy, not everyone does, nor does Carnival provide an experience that all would enjoy.

The OP needs to be aware that sailing on Fantasy and sailing on SOS is apples and oranges, at least to some of us.

Lizzytish -

You are going to find people have different opinions about every ship. I have seen reviews from two different people on the same ship, on the same dates, and each has had a completely different experience. However, based on all the reviews I have read, there is one general statement I can make (which by the way worked very well for me on my last cruise).

Go with a good attitude. If you go expecting to have fun, you will. If you go expecting to have problems, you will find them. Everything might not be perfect, but with a good attitude, you will still have a good time.

Don't worry about the positive or negative reviews. Keep an open mind and you will have a good time. This worked for me on my October NCL Star cruise. Besides reviews that were all over the place, this was the first cruise I went on where I did not know anyone prior to boarding the ship. Of course there were a few problems, but the overall experience was great.

I have cruised on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Both are different, but both a are also similar. If you enjoy one, IMO you will enjoy the other.

So, my advise to you is, read the reviews. Take note of potential problems that you can do something about. Take note of the things that went well that you would be interested in. Then go on the cruise with a smile on your face and you will leave the cruise with a smile on your face.

It is certainly your choice to have "no regard" for my statement. I also certainly have the right to my opinion and I have cruised both ships, SOS a dozen times, Fantasy once.

I cruised Fantasy when she was a year old, and it was my first Carnival cruise. I would rather have stayed home. It is dark and full of neon and plastic. I did not care for the food or the service. It was tacky and not at all my taste.

While some may enjoy Fantasy, not everyone does, nor does Carnival provide an experience that all would enjoy.

The OP needs to be aware that sailing on Fantasy and sailing on SOS is apples and oranges, at least to some of us.

Apples and oranges, maybe. A dump? Ridiculous. I actually don't even agree that they're apples and oranges come to think of it. They are very very similar in experience other than decor.

Cruzer2 is right on the money.

we had a group of ten, mostly family, most had never cruised before. this would have been their first time. that's why we booked a four day cruise. fortunately we were all planning to drive to the port and didn't book air. My wife and I have cruised on RCCL four times previously and have enjoyed every cruise. Unfortunately, the other couples in our group will probably never book another cruise. I'm sure we will, but it will take awhile to get over the poor customer service of RCCL. If RCCL was looking for a sure-fire way to help reduce overcrowding on its ships, they've found it. In fact, they wouldnt need to order so many new ones.

Boy, having your cruise cancelled because someone or group wants to charter it really sucks, but every cruise line is guilty of this from time to time. $$ speak and if you think not cruising RCI again will make a difference, think again. I say this because the charter thing does happen and offering you an alternative but no help with you self booked air is customery. Does this make it right? Nope but it isn't going to change. I do hope you enjoy Carnival. It cetainly isn't the line for me, but this does not mean you will not have a great time. You aren't talking about a 7 or 10 day cruise, but a short get away. Good luck, don't mark RCI off so quickly. It is easy to say, "I will never" and have to eat your words. NMnita

Found this at travelweekly.com sounds like it may happen a lot more.

Royal Caribbean is rockin' the boat with charter deal (11/21/2005)

x.gifMIAMI -- Royal Caribbean International kicked off what it called an “aggressive” charter resale push with a two-ship, full-charter program featuring a concert by Dave Matthews & Friends.

The charter, in partnership with Clear Channel Entertainment, launches an effort to attract corporate meetings and incentive business and targets affinity groups in the music, religious and lifestyle arenas.

Stacy Shaw, national charter sales manager for Royal Caribbean, said the full ship charter, either corporate or resale, is “a great way to introduce the brand to guests and organizations that may not have cruised with us before.”

Cruisers will board the Sovereign of the Seas in Port Canaveral and the Majesty of the Seas in Miami and sail to an undisclosed island for a private concert on Feb. 4.

Onboard concerts by other “friends” and scheduled port calls at Nassau and RCI’s private CocoCay island round out the three-day trip that departs Feb. 3.

Tickets, er, reservations are on sale at www. (site deleted by me)

To contact the reporter who wrote this article, send e-mail to Kristin O’Meara Hillmann at khillmann@travelweekly.com.

Archived